Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this word?

Hi -
    Need a little help with two words in this entry. Background: Eliza Ann Brookins, b. 1867, whose mother died in childbirth, is baptized in a private baptism two days old. The next entry is a baptism for George Brown, s/o David & Jane, also a private baptism on the same day.

Eliza died 2ish years later, and Jane Brown is the informant. This is a farming community, and David Brown's occupation is described as Labourer in the Baptismal entry.

My interpretation of this snippet:

XXXXXX to Jas Brookins & bapt at the same time as his child
    Woman acting as wet nurse XXXX

Anyone guess what the first & last words are?

Happy Easter
    Sarah
    Attached Files

First word looks like 'Collier' or Collin but doesn't quite fit whilst the last word is perhaps, 'Dit'...................although that doesn't fit either.

Comment

Collier (Coal) and Wet Nurse to it, meaning to the child.

Edna

Comment

I think it MEANS "Collier woman acting as wet nurse to it (Jas Brookins' child). Badly written but HE knew what he meant!
        OC

Comment

I thought the word looked like Collier, but I couldn't figure out what Collier had to do with farming?

Thanks, everyone. It's another proof that it's best to get the PR and not just a transcription!

Comment

The only thing is....some of my farmers also mined their land, so would have employed colliers. Or, the woman's name might have been Collier! Grrr.

OC

Comment

A collier can also be a charcoal burner, I have a direct ancestor who was a collier in coal-less Sussex though sometimes he was described as a woodsman.

Comment

Thank you both - excellent explanations.

Does anyone have information about survival rates for a motherless child given to a wet nurse? As I mentioned, she died about age 2 yrs. She had two older brothers who immigrated in their teens. The father remarried within a year of his first wife's death - the two subsequent wives died also

Comment

Age 2, she wouldn't have needed a wet nurse. You would need the death cert to see what she died of, it could have been anything, not necessarily neglect - remember there were no antibiotics then.

OC

Comment

Regarding survival, I don't suppose one can generalise.
                    My 2 x great grandmother died within days of giving birth, but the baby must have been cared for somehow as she survived to be 75.
                    There was a firstborn elder sibling to the baby, who was 16 when the youngest was born and they lived in a close-knit village, but census records always show them as a family group and no mention of a wet-nurse, so I really don't know how she was reared.

Gwyn

Comment

Gwyn's post has reminded me that my great great aunt, the youngest of eleven children, lived well into her nineties, even though her mother died at her birth in 1873. I expect a wet nurse was found locally, no need to live in, the baby could be taken backwards and forwards.

OC

Comment

When I saw the death certificate (before I saw the note about the wet nurse), I wondered how would I ever find out about Jane Brown, the informant. When I saw the entry that she was the wet nurse, I wondered about the relationship she had with the child that she helped rear. How sad she must have been.

What a luxury to live in a country and in an age when maternal & infant mortality rates are low.

Comment

Working...
                        X