Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed all my passwords and now having problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed all my passwords and now having problems?

Can anyone help please?

I changed all my passwords because of this heartbleed bug and then found out my primary email is so secure now that even I cannot get back into it. I use it for things like paypal and ebay , so I am hoping the new email will be easily put onto those if I cannot get back onto my primary email?.
    However, having also changed passwords to the sites I am on, 2 have been successful and a couple I am locked out in, which have my primary email for contact, making all sorts of problems because that's where they are sending reset password emails to, and I cannot get in them to changed to my new email.

Anyone know what I can do to resolve this problem please?
    BTW, this site was easy to change to my new email contact.

Twiglet

I have moved your thread to Computer help Twiglet, as I thought the people most likely to be able to help would see the query here.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-04-14, 09:26.
    Twiglet

This depends on who your email provider is. Most insist on having a secondary email address (work, partner, another email provider) where they can send a reset code to. My primary email is Gmail, but I also have a Hotmail account that I only use for this purpose.

Another common solution are 'secret questions' such as Mother's maiden name, pet's name, where you met your partner etc. You will have set these up when you opened your account.

If you click on the 'forgot password' or similar link, you should get instructions on how to request a password reset.

If you want any more specific help I need to know who your email provider is.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

It's yahoo.
      I tried recovering it and went through all the security questions and I found I must have put my birth date in wrong so it won't let me go any further to contact customer care!
      Of course I found that if I had a mobile phone I could have a text sent to it, but I am a dinosaur and don't have one.
      I have found a telephone link and it seems the easiest way to explain person to person. I did manage to make another email, so I can have the reset link sent to that if they'll understand about the wrong birth date.
      Twiglet

Comment

If you get to speak to a real person they can make a judgement call as to whether you are genuine or not. Getting one thing wrong out of several shouldn't stop them accepting you, as long as you can give them enough information.

One common question is asking who has recently sent you emails, and who you have sent emails to. They don't expect you to remember every single one, but if you can easily reel a few off they should accept it.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks PeteW for the heads up about who I have sent emails too. I shall have to start remembering who I sent them too?
          Twiglet
          Twiglet

Comment

I am holding on to the yahoo phone line now, I have been holding for 25 mins!!!!!
            I just hope this isn't clocking up any charges as it is supposed to be a Freephone number?
            I am torn whether to still hold on or replace the receiver and try later on?
            Twiglet

Comment

This is "Stable door after the horse is gone" stuff, sorry.

Can I strongly recommend that you use a password manager if you don't already. I have a Windows machine and use the open source program Keepass (there are also versions for Linux & Mac - Keepass X). The main advantage for me is that the program is portable so it leaves no traces when you run it and it can be kept it on a flash drive so you can plug it in when required on any windows machine. I use it to store all my internet passwords and all my software serial numbers. Naturally backing up has to be done but that is simple from within the program.

Other alternatives include LastPass which is a cloud based password manager, Roboform which is excellent but generally has to be paid for (although there is a free limited number of passwords version I think), 1Password (Mac) commercial, Sxipper a Firefix extension etc etc. Do a Google for password manager.

David

Comment

Thanks for that it seems logical for me.
                I still haven't got through to sort out my email yet?
                Twiglet

Comment

Working...
                X