New findmypast, old friends... A guide to recent changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New findmypast, old friends... A guide to recent changes

This is available on Facebook and also on Myko's Twitter feed - I haven't looked to see where else it is but I know that some of you don't visit Facebook, so here you are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOEi_...ature=youtu.be. A clear explanation of why the changes needed to be made and also how to use the new way of searching.

I shall sticky this so that you can find it again easily if you need to.

findmypast: An introduction to Findmypast’s search tools

findmypast: How to search findmypast

Includes:
    • How to search specific record sets
    • How to search by address & occupation in census records
    • How to search using mother’s maiden name or spouse’s name
    • How to search Parish records
    • How to search by year of marriage
    • How to limit the number of results

Lost Cousins Newsletter Tips: Part 1

Lost Cousins Newsletter Tips: Part 2

Family Tree Magazine: findmypast guide

FTF GUIDE: Searching findmypast

AND:
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...=1#post2493554
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Thanks Caroline.

April 18 Lost Cousins Newsletter has also put together some ideas on how to search on the new FMP.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 18-04-14, 19:51.

Comment

I've had a US subscription for a while which is very similar to the new UK format, so am not finding the changeover too traumatic!
      However, I can understand why some people are having problems but there are lots of hints and tips being published on various blogs/newsletters which should help and the video Caroline has posted is definitely well worth watching.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Caroline, I found that helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          Thanks Caroline.

April 18 Lost Cousins Newsletter has also put together some ideas on how to search on the new FMP.

Janet
          might it be an idea Janet to add the url for this here, it may help others in finding their way around the new system.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Link to Lost Cousins Newsletter below.

Click on Find My Past's New site -Mismanaged or Misunderstood.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 22-04-14, 11:45.

Comment

If you have been following the comments on various Facebook pages and on the Feedback forum, you may well find this interesting:

Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Interesting read.

I think the subject of compensation is something that's going to be brought up time and time again - it seems that some of those who shouted or complained strongly at the outset were given a two month extension but those complaining now are getting nowt.

.. and as for those who have supported FMP during the changeover and tried to help others both on their forum and FB page ... I think Caroline knows the answer to that one! ;)
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Interesting read.

I think the subject of compensation is something that's going to be brought up time and time again - it seems that some of those who shouted or complained strongly at the outset were given a two month extension but those complaining now are getting nowt.

.. and as for those who have supported FMP during the changeover and tried to help others both on their forum and FB page ... I think Caroline knows the answer to that one! ;)
                  .... best if I don't comment.
                  Caroline

Comment

In the last two weeks the Chief Executive Officer of Findmypast has come out of hiding and apologised to subscribers for the mess that they have created with the new platform and said that they have “a big job” to undertake to correct numerous defects. Do you have any feelings about this in view of your previous support during the changeover. Do you still think that you were right to support it, in spite of all of the evidence that it was seriously flawed?

Comment

Sites need to change from time to time, to either upgrade their software or their way of storing and searching records.

FMP is not the only one to have made drastic changes recently. Ancestry is the first that springs to mind, removing the old search option, a preferred method of many researchers. If anyone has tried to use the Gazette website recently you will have found that things have changed – and I’m still trying to get my head round that one! Someone here yesterday mentioned the different format of the Historical Directories website and let’s not forget when The National Archives created their Discovery catalogue.

There may be flaws in all of these changes but that doesn’t mean we should no longer support the sites/organisations which are producing important records for our use. “What would we do without them” springs to mind!

I’ve seen a lot of negative comments recently about FMP – maybe if some of those people had channelled their energy into learning how the site now functions, reporting back to FMP in a constructive manner, helping others to get their head round new search methodology, then the quicker we would be able to move on with a much improved and valuable FMP website.
                      Elaine

Comment

FMP only accepted that there were major problems with the new site after five weeks and only then, because people continued to complain and point out the problems. Up until that time they had, repeatedly, said that there were no serious problems and that they had received positive feedback. I would put it to you that if those who had reviewed and supported the changes in the first few weeks had looked a bit more thoroughly into it, they ought to have discovered how bad the new site was and said so. There was too much focus on the new search capability and methodology without checking what had happened to the rest of the site. It needed people to stand up and be counted in order to get FMP to act. FMP have now had to accept that there is a lot wrong with the new site and they have apologised. Those who reviewed it favourably and those who supported it only contributed to the delay in getting FMP to the current position. Had they not done so, the necessary remedial work might have started a lot sooner.

Change is necessary and it can be a good thing, if it is managed correctly. The FMP changeover was anything but.

Comment

Personally I haven't found much problem with the new FMP. It just takes some getting used to. In many ways its better.

BUT ... I do accept that different people use search engines in different ways. Maybe my way suits the new FMP (and Ancestry's not too bad either) *ducks to avoid flack*

Anne

Comment

The new search does work although it is, more often than not, very inefficient compared with the old search. It is the rest of the site, such as the record sets accessible from the A to Z of records, where the problems mainly lie. This is now beyond dispute, as the CEO, herself, has said "Unfortunately, when we moved our record set forms to new findmypast, some of them gained or lost search fields. We received lots of feedback on this issue, so we’re working through each of our record sets. We’re reviewing the search screens, results fields, order of results and transcriptions and fixing any issues we find. It’s a big job"
                            It is just a shame that the "industry" experts who reviewed the new site when it was first launched did not notice any of these problems and in almost sycophantic style, gave the new site the "thumbs up". They should also be holding up their hands now, like the CEO and admitting that they also got it wrong.

Comment

Answers to misconceptions about those who have complained about FMP

I am a long-time subscriber to FMP. It was always, to me, the best of the websites for UK records. Now it has been changed - and here is:

Misconception 1: Because the change has provoked complaints, it is wrongly believed by some that the real issue is change itself. No, the issue is change for the worse.
                              Misconception 2: Only those shouted loudest got the subscription extensions. Wrong; more and more people who were given subscription extensions are now coming to light, and they have not appeared on the websites where the main complaints have been made. I, personally, contacted FMP very early on as I was unable to log on to the site at all. This had gone on for days, so I rang FMP for help and was given a 2 month extension - I did not ask for it. I said that I would accept it - well it would have been stupid to refuse wouldn't it? I said that when I got back onto the site, I would post details of any problems I was experiencing to the Feedback Forum, and I was assured that I would receive feedback from FMP in turn. Which brings me on to:
                              Misconception 3: "Maybe if some of those people had channelled their energy into learning how the site now functions, reporting back to FMP in a constructive manner, helping others to get their head round new search methodology.." Well we did. The main thread on the Feedback Forum on the FMP website was full of detailed feedback from people identifying where anomalies and problems lay. What came back from FMP for several weeks? Absolutely nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that our efforts had even been noted, let alone acted upon. Of course this Forum thread has now been deleted. There were also many workarounds posted.
                              Misconception 4: I have yet to see anywhere that any person posting negative comments wants FMP to fail. On the contrary, everyone is bemoaning the loss of such an old friend and the seemingly disrespectful way that it has been treated by its owners/management. Many "complainers" have signed up to be a part of the Customer Participation Group in the hope that they can help to sort things out.

The main bone of contention for many weeks now, has been FMP's treatment of its paying customers. That is what is being fought against now. People who have received refunds are not disappearing into the background; they are staying and helping others. Such as the people post on FMP's Facebook pages asking questions, but don't receive responses. On another Facebook page, real help and support is being given to people who do want to leave and want to have their subscription refunded. There are people who cannot manage the new site due to lack of IT skills, people who have saved up for a subscription out of meagre incomes who can no longer use it - is anyone seriously saying that such as they should they be penalised? It is like saying that anyone who rings FMP is being selfish by taking people away from answering emails - who on earth would say that?

Comment

It changed because of necessity. FMP made it clear at the outset that they could not continue working with the same format as the old UK site. The new FMP is not a new design – it has been used for those subscribing to the Irish, Australian and World FMP for some time.

I would agree that the extension of subscriptions and refunds that FMP are now offering seem somewhat erratic – probably not a good move on their part.

I read some of the comments on the FMP forum. There were a number of constructive criticisms offered and I am sure FMP took these on board. It has been obvious over the past few weeks that a number of corrections/amendments/developments have been made on the website, and I suspect there are more to come. Equally on the forum there were a number of posters who constantly posted repetitive negative comments that really didn’t seem to help or at times seem appropriate – an action which I understand resulted in some contributors being banned!

FMP may not have been listening to their customers at the outset – but they certainly are now. I cannot see the point of going over the history of what has happened. Let’s all channel our energy into the future of FMP, continue to offer constructive criticism, help subscribers who are having problems navigating with the new format (as we have done on this forum) and MOVE ON!!

… and my apologies, forgot to say, welcome to Glen and Margaret who I see have joined us today!
                                Elaine

Comment

Not for moving on.

I have just joined initially at least to talk about Findmypast. I'm sure I will find the forum very useful in others areas too

The FMP story is BIG. The new UK platform IS new. Debra Chatfield has admitted that the US version was much more basic, she also admitted that there were too many routes to data. FMP is a British site, though it hardly looks at the moment with the use of the American date format. The vast majority of members from Australia, America and wherever else in the world were not familiar with the simplicity and reliability of the UK site they only know the new platform and as I said, in a more basic form. In fact there are some Australian members who specifically joined the UK site because they found the Oz one so turgid.

I am agog at this "FMP may not have been listening to their customers at the outset – but they certainly are now. I cannot see the point of going over the history of what has happened. Let’s all channel our energy into the future of FMP, continue to offer constructive criticism, help subscribers who are having problems navigating with the new format (as we have done on this forum) and MOVE ON!!"

They are listening, almost two months down the road because some people were complaining (some said whinging!). It is only BECAUSE of the more vocal members of FMP that they have finally admitted to errors and mistakes and apologised, so you should be applauding the vocal not telling them to shut up.

I subscribed to a site that was instantly usable and productive and have been transferred to one, purporting to be better, and simpler to use that is anything but. So you MOVE ON!! if you want to but I think you'll find there are plenty others who have plenty more to say on the matter. Some of us can't afford to have our subscriptions expire whilst a mighty corporation tries to get its act together.

There are cryptic messages further up this thread and I'm beginning to wonder if some people have been 'rewarded' in some way for trying to calm stormy seas on behalf of FMP. Just sayin'

Comment

Welcome to the forum Edam, I do hope you will find it useful for your genealogy research.

I agree the FMP story is BIG. We have had a number of threads on the forum about the new website, both positive and negative.

Originally posted by Edam View Post
                                    I am agog at this "FMP may not have been listening to their customers at the outset – but they certainly are now. I cannot see the point of going over the history of what has happened. Let’s all channel our energy into the future of FMP, continue to offer constructive criticism, help subscribers who are having problems navigating with the new format (as we have done on this forum) and MOVE ON!!"

They are listening, almost two months down the road because some people were complaining (some said whinging!). It is only BECAUSE of the more vocal members of FMP that they have finally admitted to errors and mistakes and apologised, so you should be applauding the vocal not telling them to shut up.
                                    I am sorry you are agog at my comments. I am not telling the vocal to shut up, I am trying to encourage people to move on. I am sure many of us have read the continual negative posts on forums, websites and even Facebook pages that seem to have an agenda of knocking FMP at every opportunity. Now that FMP have accepted there are problems and are trying to move forward, would it not benefit us all if we did the same.

.. and talking of Facebook Pages, I have to say that I am agog to see my comments from this thread being posted to a Facebook page where they have been described as “naff, insulting, offensive and illogical”.

I think you'll find there are plenty others who have plenty more to say on the matter. Some of us can't afford to have our subscriptions expire whilst a mighty corporation tries to get its act together.
                                    That’s your opinion, which I respect – however, I think there may be a better platform than FTF to make your complaints.

There are cryptic messages further up this thread and I'm beginning to wonder if some people have been 'rewarded' in some way for trying to calm stormy seas on behalf of FMP. Just sayin'
                                    I can assure you that no one who has commented on this thread has been “rewarded” in any way.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thank you for the welcome. In case you are in any doubt, I have not re-posted my statement anywhere else I can assure you.

Tbh I don't see the complaints as 'knocking FMP' from my pov its a case of 'if the cap fits ...'. I see, on a daily basis, more issues being flagged up, even improvements of improvements have been flawed. The company should really not be relying so heavily on its customer base to point out errors and glitches. In the past they have relied on the reporting of transcription errors and that's fair enough but as to the actual working of the site? Even Ancestry's unwelcome changes didn't produce the volume of errors and annoyances that we are having daily with FMP. We were assured, on more than one occasion, that the new platform had been thoroughly tested, but it very clearly wasn't and the testing is now happening in real time and being undertaken by us, the subscribers and I say again, many of us cannot afford to have our subscriptions expiring whilst they sort themselves out. Its just not on. They really need to come up with a refund/extension plan that is equitable to the problems we are all having.

Comment

Elaine, thank you for the welcome. In case you are in any doubt, I have not re-posted my statement anywhere else I can assure you.
                                        Thanks Edam, but as you are probably aware shortly after posting, your comments and my reply appeared on a what I would call a "knock FMP FB page" together with further derogatory comments.

I was a user of the FMP.com site so encountered the different style of searching which seems to cause problems for users on the new FMP site. It is a great pity that FMP did not create a beta system to run alongside the new one which could have been tested more thoroughly by the users. I gather FMP said this was not possible for technical reasons, which has of course meant that the users have now become the "unpaid testers" !

I said earlier today that the extension of subscriptions and refunds which FMP are now offering seem somewhat erratic and probably not a good move on their part - perhaps it is time for them to address this situation and offer it across the whole membership.

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X