LDS help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS help please

i went to order the marriage of james dove and anne strange on 18 oct 1822. the entry does not list where it took place, but did have a film number. so i tried ordering it anyway.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

i got the documents today, but not this one, or another that should have been the same marriage at norwich norfolk (banns i think). but i did get the marriage from bungay, suffolk.

along with the documents they sent me a 'how to' guide to ordering records. which feels like a slap in the face, considering i ordered 5 records, and received 3. i gave them the info exactly as it appears in their marriage index on their website.

so, did the marriage with no place not go through because i didn't give them a place name?

Film 1595887 seems an odd one and the LFHS does not have any result when this film number is entered (unusual in my experience). However an LDS search brings up two results for this marriage one of these being in Norwich and with a Ref ID 57.

It might be worth reordering adding the parish and the Ref ID to give them the best chance of locating this marriage. Good luck
    Last edited by Bertie; 16-04-14, 07:48.

Comment

HI kylejustin
      Another link for the same marriage https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NF2N-X5V
      This marriage isn't listed on my Norfolk Marriages disc which seems a bit odd.
      Moggie

Comment

If the film number is an I and not a 1 - then it is suspect anyway, as the "I" series of films are not always original documents. They were "extractions" taken by random people who then helpfully submitted them to the LDS. There was no control and quite often it is just a list of extractions for a certain surname that the submitter was interested in. I call them submitted records.

Sometimes the information is correct...and sometimes it isn't!

OC

Comment

how interesting oc. mauderby and bertie, that's the third 'version' i put in for. the marriage took place at bungay, st mary's. the date at norwich is before the marriage at bungay, so i assumed the norwich entry was banns. but i ordered bungay, norwich and the one with no place name.

bungay says the groom was of eye, suffolk. which is true. bride was of bungay. but i had noticed the norwich one and wondered if the bride was from there. the only reason i got the third one was because the same names and the date was similar. though there were parents added (odd) and the 'entry' said they were both 21, b.1801- when james was b.1756.

so i think your right about the third 'marriage' OC, submitted info.

Comment

From the Family History Library Catalogue, Film 1595887 is
            Marriage Licence Bonds
            Diocese of Norwich Consistory Court

These are online on Family Search in England Norfolk Marriage Bonds 1557 - 1915
            There is an index at the beginning of the 1822 film, and "Dove and Strange" seems to be listed (this is the 57 reference?) Even so I haven't managed to find the thing! The images are rather fuzzy unfortunately.
            Seems to be during the brief period when certified copies of the baptism entries had to be produced as well (on Family Search in the same extraction, it says James Dove age 21, parents John + Anne)
            John

Comment

How confusing! We now have films beginning with 1 and I.

Have to say, I've pretty much given up with FS as I find it very difficult to navigate now and I just don't have the perseverance I used to have!

OC

Comment

Well it is there, on FS
                Norwich Consistory Court 1822
                Starting at image 238
                14th October 1822
                James Dove of Eye, Suffolk, widower
                and Ann Strange of Bungay St Mary, Suffolk, spinster
                Both 21 and upwards
                James Strange was baptised 31 May 1762 (although 1763 is poss?) in Wetheringsett
                and Ann Strange baptised in Feb 1768 in Denton. Parents John + Elizabeth
                Are going to be married at Bungay St Mary

Comment

JonnyB

Sorry, no, I wasn't disputing the fact that it was on FS, I was having a moan about the confusion betwen batch/film numbers beginning with either a 1 or an I!

OC

Comment

i've found it. the first 13 pages are the index of marriage licenses. page 13 tells you the couples in order of marriage license date and counts them. james dove and anne strange were no 57. each entry was about 5 pages, and james and anne are on page 238.

i would just pick random pages, find the groom's name, and then go back to page 13 to find whether he was before or after james, and then adjust until i found the entry.

Comment

thank you johnny!

Comment

Working...
                      X