Essex South Western Registry Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex South Western Registry Office

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could find out where the now defunct Essex South Western Registry Office would have been located ?

TIA
    DGJay
    DGJay

This explains what the registration district has become. Don't know if that helps

Some more information here about the different Register Offices

Jackie

Comment

Unfortunately they give the details of what and where they are now. I am trying to find where the Office was located when it was in use as the registry Office
      DGJay

Comment

DGJay

There would almost certainly have been more than one register office to cover the district as it encompassed several parishes. However, as a general rule, register offices were located either in the Town Hall or in the Council Offices.

I'm nosey - why do you want to know the exact location?

OC

Comment

OC
          With my marriages I like to associate a picture of the church where the wedding took place, and to keep things uniform when its a registry office the same applies, so if I knew the address I could possibly get a picture from Google, if the building was still in existence.
          From the marriage certificate the information is that the couple were married at the Essex South Western Registry Office
          DGJay

Comment

At one time my local registry office was at a solicitors' practice and intentions to marry were posted in a display box on the wall outside. It later moved into premises bequeathed to the town; the rest of the building became the offices for the local council. The council offices have now been removed from the premises (council business amalgamated with other areas) and replaced with a very public help desk in the library. At present, civil registration still takes place in the bequeathed building, because the council can't dispose of it. However, I have no idea how one would go about finding the dates for use of the different buildings.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 14-04-14, 19:33.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Street Directories? Telephone directories?

OC

Comment

Followed up OC's suggestion out of idle curiosity and searched the local 1892 directory. To my surprise, I found the following THREE addresses:

Superintendent Registrar-Jon. Chapman Lee, Great George street
                Registrar of Births and Deaths, No. 2 District ­Mark Fowler, Chapmangate
                Registrar of Marriages-John Ashby, Post office (I'm unsure where the post office would have been - no address given.)

I had no idea that clients might have had to go to different buildings - would they have married at the post office????

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

By 1913 the solicitor is the superintendent registrar, address given is his office.

There are several deputy registrars, addresses are probably their private residences, but still designated to either births/burials or marriages.
                  There are deputy registrars for 3 sub-divisions (a small town and two large villages) but these deal with births & burials only.
                  Fascinating!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

"Essex South Western Register Office" operated from 1935 to 1965, but I agree with Jay's findings that there would have been more than one venue which answered to that title, because the office covered several parishes.

EDIT - yes, people may have married at a room in the post office. Until a few years ago, there was a local RO substation in my little town and it was situated over the pub!

OC
                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 15-04-14, 20:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X