Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you like to have this as your Marriage Certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you like to have this as your Marriage Certificate?

Marriage Cert..jpg

I don't know why the 'cleric' just didn't put a line thru' it.

What a mess..Scrap it start again would probably have been the best idea.

Is that allowed though?

Linda

Comment

I would have thought so Linda.................I do occasionally see an entry crossed out.

Comment

Blimey! what a dog's breakfast he made of that!!
        Margaret

Comment

Actually, it's a duplicate of a marriage 2 entries back.......................'Senior' moment perhaps....I'm always having them

Comment

I would have asked for a refund

Vera

Comment

You would not have argued with officialdom back in those days

Edna

Comment

But surely that is the entry in the church register? You could only ever get a written copy of that, which presumably would only contain the correct information and not all the crossings out. Again, I presume the copy they sent to the GRO/local Registrar was accurate.

Not sure how he managed to get the right couples' signatures though.....

OC

Comment

yes it definently looks like he has scribbled over someone else's marriage entry. alan said it was a double up entry of a previous marriage? but signatures don't match the rest......how odd.

Comment

Must have been having a senior moment.
                    Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 14-04-14, 08:29.

Comment

Or well into a second bottle of Port..Hic..:D
                      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Reckon he must have been into the church wine long before the entry was made. But, I noticed a stamped serial number on the upper left of the certificate, did the parson stamp that

or was the certificate in a bundle of pre numbered certificates. Maybe he didn't want to have to account for a missing certificate.
                        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Grumpy

It isn't a certificate, it is an entry in the parish register and the serial number is the number of the entry in the book. but yes, he probably didn't want to "lose" the number, as he would probably have transferred that number already onto the copy of the Bishops Transcript! (I bet the BT copy is ok!)

OC

Comment

Hmmm, I notice the 'age' section hasn't been amended. Maybe the clerk duplicated the info of a previous marriage, asked the new couple if they didn't mind about this and perhaps they didn't have to pay for the cert?

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                            X