Galway Library help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galway Library help please

I would be very grateful if someone living in Galway would be able to look up some old newspapers on microfilm for me - I am in New Zealand and have no way of accessing these. Through research I believe I have identified my 4x great grandfather to have been Captain John Moore RN, who died on 2 March 1849 at his residence, Merchant's Road, Galway. The only online obit I have found is from the Freeman's Journal, which basically states what I have written above. If someone were able to look up the following newspapers for the first week of March 1849, I would appreciate it, as there may be a more detailed obituary or even small story which would give more detail about him, his career and family, which may be able to give me the final piece of proof that this is indeed the Captain Moore from Galway that is my ancestor. We do not know his wife's name at all, or even if he was born in Galway, but know he was based there. Newspapers to look in would be the Galway Vindicator, Western Star and Tuam Herald. Any help most gratefully welcomed!

If you are unable to find anyone on here able to get to Galway Library have you thought of contacting the library in Galway yourself and asking them to do a search for you?

I also notice that Captain John Moore is down as RN (Royal Navy) and all Irish people who joined the Navy joined the British Navy, and that means all Navy Records are at TNA (the National Archives) Kew.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

You should be able to access his navy records from Kew and download them for a modest sum, which will certainly tell you where he was born, what ships he served on and most probably pensioned, would also give his date and place of death.

Some Irish papers are on FMP which will be accessible through a library in NZ.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 12-04-14, 15:17.

Comment

There is a Galway Genealogy Group page in facebook. If you are in facebook and you would like to be invited to it, please send me a message.
      Joy

Comment

Hi Janet, I have had a lot of trouble trying to find him at National Archives. He joined in the 1790s.
        Most of the family info I have on him is from FMP Ireland papers, but hoping Galway papers will add a bit more.

joy - yes, I am on facebook. Would love to join the group.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiyH View Post
          Hi Janet, I have had a lot of trouble trying to find him at National Archives. He joined in the 1790s.
          Most of the family info I have on him is from FMP Ireland papers, but hoping Galway papers will add a bit more.

joy - yes, I am on facebook. Would love to join the group.
          Please look for a message from me.
          Joy

Comment

The early Navy records may not be available online through TNA, so you may have to ask someone to do a seach for you at TNA. Or you could contact them to see what they might have. Does the information you have found in newspapers help you decide when he might have joined the Navy and when he left and on which ships he served? Are you sure he is Navy and not a Mariner as in commercial shipping. So many seamen at this time were merchant mariners, not Navy.

Do you know about the post below where someone from Australia is reseraching the same person?

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 14-04-14, 15:08.

Comment

Found a few John Moore RN at TNA but you need to check them out to see if any of them could be yours.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet. Yes, he was definitely RN, all references to him state he is in the Navy, earlier ones as Lieutenant, later ones as Captain or Commander. He joined the RN as an AB in 1793.

Comment

Janet, the other post is also mine. Wonder why I appear to have 2 user names...

Comment

The only other place worth looking at for any possible records is the Greenwich Museum Library at Greenwich which holds a lot of Navy information. A quick look for John Moore produced a few which may be worth looking at. You might aslo like to mail the Greenwich Library to see if they can help you at all.

Otherwise it is a question of keep trying in Galway, but I am worried that the Irish records are just not there for you, when you get back to the 1790's.

Sorry, the page you're looking for may have moved or is unavailable at the moment

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet. I agree, it is a long shot getting Irish records that old. Hopefully someone will be able to access those old newspapers though!

Comment

I would be very grateful if someone living in Galway would be able to look up some old newspapers on microfilm for me.
                        Hi Georgiy,
                        I've just added a new thread re free 24 hours access to the Irish Newspaper Archive which may enable you to search some of the newspapers you want to access. Valid until 11am GMT Thursday 17 April.
                        Good luck,
                        Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Karamazov. Unfortunately site overloading and horrendous weather here played havoc with the internet connection and I was not able to get anywhere with it...

Comment

Thanks Karamazov. Unfortunately site overloading and horrendous weather here played havoc with the internet connection and I was not able to get anywhere with it...
                            Sorry to hear that but perhaps better luck with this:
                            I've just added another new thread with subject header FindMyPast Ireland offers one-month's access for €1 - I've not ever used findmypast.ie for newspaper searches, although having just subscribed to this offer, I can now browse them at my leisure for the next month. The Irish Petty Sessions Records on Findmypast.ie are well worth a look too...
                            Christine
                            Last edited by Karamazov; 19-04-14, 22:05.
                            Researching:
                            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Findmypast.ie has some good newspaper articles and it has helped fill in a lot of information about this family. Doesn't have any local Galway papers though, or at least, not for that time period anyway! Will look at the petty sessions.

Comment

Working...
                              X