Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New release on FMP

looks interesting

i'm holding out for yorkshire records. but makes sense to release war records. more people interested in those, they are more recent, and it's the centenary of the first world war. unfortunately war records won't help my research, both maternal great grandfathers fought in WWI, no record of it though.

i do love it when they add new records, i just wish they would ones i can use! london, manchester and west yorkshire on ancestry were amazing. cheshire on fmp blew my mind. here's hoping north yorkshire is just as good, as 80% of my family (and brick walls) are from there!
    Last edited by kylejustin; 11-04-14, 02:48.

Comment

I too am waiting for the Yorkshire records. They are the reason I extended my sub way back in September, on the promise of "soon" and "in the next year....."

I'm actually getting rather frustrated by FMP - it USED to be my favourite subscription site. I'm not one for spitting my dummy out and talking with my feet, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the service they profess to offer.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think Findmypast have always been guilty of attracting subscribers by promising records "soon" which take ages to arrive, and are far from the complete set they seem to have promised.

I first subscribed because of the promise that they would have the parish records from Family History Online, but that never completely happened. I know some FHSs didn't want to move their transcriptions to Findmypast, but even so they promised more than they delivered.

I'm waiting for the South Yorkshire collection, but I'm expecting a long wait!. I didn't know they were doing North Yorkshire too.

Anne

Comment

I am hoping for Berkshire and Oxfordshire, but so far the Family History Societies seem to have exclusivity, at an exclusive price!
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
            I am hoping for Berkshire and Oxfordshire, but so far the Family History Societies seem to have exclusivity, at an exclusive price!
            And so the Family History Societes should do!! They are the ones whose volunteers have done all the leg work! Join your local FHS and help them before they have to disappear through lack of volunteer help.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 11-04-14, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Join your local FHS and help them before they have to disappear through lack of volunteer help
              As I live in Wales, but a non-Welsh speaker I wouldn't be much help to them, and with no Welsh ancestors, they certainly wouldn't have any records relevant to me.

If I lived nearer I would Join Berks or Oxon, but at such a distance it just isn't worth it.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

I must say I am having some success on FMP but to get there you have to narrow down the search and even then you dont really get what you asked for .
                You know Janet I think I will do that ,getting a bit bored lately ,might be the answer thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                  As I live in Wales, but a non-Welsh speaker I wouldn't be much help to them, and with no Welsh ancestors, they certainly wouldn't have any records relevant to me.

If I lived nearer I would Join Berks or Oxon, but at such a distance it just isn't worth it.
                  Sorry Pete no real excuse. My ancestors are from Scotland, Ireland, Northamptonshire and East End of London none of which are easilyaccessible to me easily these days, but I still belong to two Irish Societies, Northants FHS, Cockney Ancestor, Devon FHS and my local one of London Westminster and Middlesex. The latter one is no use to me family history wise, but has been invaluable with their talks and meetings and I have given the odd talk there myself on Family History items of interest.

The FHS Societies have done stirling work in making a lot of the information available which both FMP and Ancestry have taken and now charge exorbitant prices for what was done by FHS Societies for free! We should all be thanking the and joining them and you can always help from afar! The charge for joining any FHS is a paltry sum. Many Societies are now struggling because people will not volunteer to help and many will disappear.

Janet

Comment

I live in France but have joined both the Dorset and the Liverpool Family History Society. As an overseas subscriber, they each cost about £16 per year. I receive their regular booklets, with lots of local information within, and which include their list of members, with their areas of interest. Having given the Surnames that I am researching, I have received some very helpful information, particularly from the Dorset group. As with this Forum, their online Forums are good places to post enquiries. Many of the local members also do voluntary 'shifts' at Record Offices, Museums, Libraries, etc., and can prove to be valuable sources of local information.
                    For me they have been good value for money.

Angela

Comment

Working...
                    X