Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Douglas LIGHTBODY 1899-1918 (living relatives search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Douglas LIGHTBODY 1899-1918 (living relatives search)

I had the Scotlands People newsletter-email today and it included this link:

I did a quick thread-search and couldn't see that anyone else had picked up on it, here.

It looks like the sort of puzzle that FTF folks are good at solving... :D

If you have trouble following the link, I'll post some more info from it.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I've sent an email to the lady who has been doing the tree to see if she will post here or give me details to post.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi all - I'm Sue, the lady entrusted with trying to track down information on J D Lightbody and any living relatives!

Briefly, I got involved, as my step dad - an ex Grenadier musician - is an honorary member of the Belgian town band of Schelderwindeke, the town commemorating the pilot near where he was shot down in WW1. The organising Belgians told him their plans and he is raising a band from the UK to play at the ceremony in Belgium in November, and at a concert there. Hearing that they were trying to find more info on the pilot, and particularly a photo, I sort of got volunteered! He knew I spend an inordinate amount of time on my own tree and in researching a local graveyard!

So...having found the right Lightbody line - its not the famous baking Lightbody's of Hamilton - I've established his siblings and some descendants. Three people have contacted me through the Lightbody Facebook group - all distant cousins - so that is encouraging. But so far, nobody from Hamilton, or Scotland in general, which has surprised me. Two ladies are in South Africa.

I have someone with RAF contacts who is going to pursue his military records - fingers crossed there.

Both Facebook and Twitter have had posts, ScotlandsPeople, Ancestry and the Lightbody FB Group. I've also posted on Twitter to one of the Philadelphia newspapers as one brother emigrated.

So, if anyone has any other bright ideas or contacts I would be supremely grateful! The more heads the better.

So that's it in a nutshell.

Bit late now but I'll give a brief run down of the tree I have tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest.

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum.
        Sounds like the sort of thing that our members enjoy helping with.
        When you do give a run down of the tree, can I just mention that we do not allow the names of living people to be posted on the forum - so if anyone needs further information from you they will contact you via personal message (PM).
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - don't worry - it'll only be the generations long since gone! They might jog someone's memory. The Lanarkshire FHS are also on the case!

Sue

Comment

This might well be his record, which you can download from the National Archives website for £3.30 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ficers-ww1.htm

Name Lightbody, John Douglas
            Date of Birth: 30 October 1899
            AIR 76/299/189

There's also a record for an Airman of that name, too, but not available online.

These records wouldn't help with tracing relatives forwards, though
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks - the Belgians forwarded me the National Archive records so I do have those!
              Sue

Comment

James Lightbody b 1814 m Margaret b 1818

Son: Thomas Lightbody b 1834 m Christina b 1838

Their children:
                James b 1860
                Margaret b 1862
                John Douglas b 1865
                Christina b 1868
                Thomas b 1871
                Mary b 1873
                Jeannie D b 1878
                Thomas b 1875

John Douglas b 1865 m Marjory Clark b 1869

Their children :

Grace J C b 1893 d 1953 - married ? Clark
                Christina b 1894
                Thomas b 1896 d 1898
                Archibald b 1898 d 1903
                JOHN DOUGLAS b 1899 d 1918 Melle Belgium
                Duncan b 1902 d 1969 Philadelphia USA
                James b 1904
                George 1907

Military and personal details known:

Lived at Ardenlee, Portland Park, Hamilton, Scotland

Attended Hamilton Grammar School

From his military records:
                Was an apprentice draughtsman for a company (can’t read name!) Park Road, Motherwell.

Joined RAF Nov 1917 - 204 squadron
                Went missing 4.11.1918 flying his Sopwith Camel “last seen after combat over Melle”

Casualty Card report of 8.3.20 states “The above named officer was reported Missing 4th November 1918. This death has now been accepted for official purposes as having occurred on or since that date”

Was an accomplished Flying Ace - gaining 5 victories in the short time that he flew.

Comment

Glad to report that we have now found a nephew of John Douglas, living in the USA. Still, however, no-one from this side of the pond!

Sue

Comment

Great work!
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by jasperaliceuk View Post
                      Glad to report that we have now found a nephew of John Douglas, living in the USA. Still, however, no-one from this side of the pond!

Sue
                      That's good news. Is the nephew aware of anyone in the UK?

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        That's good news. Is the nephew aware of anyone in the UK?

Christine
                        Not as far as I know - still pursuing enquries with his daughter.

Sue

Comment

Might be nothing at all - but we have a Lightbody Street here in Liverpool named after a Scottish Linen Merchant , William Lightbody who came here in 1750`s ..
                          OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

but there is this man John Robert Thomas Lightbody - a commercial Traveller ( presumably from Scotland who came to see family - and stayed ...maybe if you could check out where he was born ??

Baptism: 24 Apr 1904 Holy Trinity, Wavertree, Lancashire, England
                          Archibald Lightbody - [Child] of John Robert Thomas Lightbody & Bertha
                          Born: 20 Feb 1904
                          Abode: 21 Brereton Avenue
                          Baptised by: G. W. Williams

Baptism: 23 Sep 1905 Holy Trinity, Wavertree, Lancashire, England
                          William Roy MacClive Lightbody - [Child] of John Robert Thomas Lightbody & Bertha
                          Born: 5 Aug 1905
                          Abode: 21 Brereton Avenue
                          Baptised by: G. W. Williams

if you find a connection -there are 59 Lightbody records on 192.com here in Liverpool ...the family originally settled in Edge Hill ....
                          probably a red herring - but you never know ??
                          good luck
                          Last edited by garstonite; 04-07-14, 06:17.
                          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

just a quick request ...what does RELICT mean on this record ??
                            Burial: 21 Jan 1801 St James, Toxteth, Lancashire, England
                            Elizabeth Lightbody - relict of Adam Lightbody, Gentleman
                            never seen that before on a record ......I know it`s irrelevant to this thread , but I am curious ...
                            I will delete this post if requested

added...the above post regarding John Robert Thomas Lightbody and Bertha
                            they married in Liverpool in 1900 and her maiden name was Boyle
                            Last edited by garstonite; 04-07-14, 06:35.
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

relict = widow
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                relict = widow
                                Thanks Judith ...new one on me ...we learn something new everyday
                                cheers
                                allan

Comment

Thanks for that Garstonite - I don't think there is a connection - there are several Lightbody families, including the famous Lightbody Bakers. I think the family I am looking at were Grocers - I can't say I've seen any textile workers but I wouldn't totally discount it. If I can I'll have a dig around.

The relict thing was a new one on me too until last year. I am documenting a graveyard and it was on one of the headstones.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                                  X