british passenger lists 1840's-1850's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• british passenger lists 1840's-1850's

i'm looking for copies of departing passenger lists from britain, from british sources. there are ships lists i want to get copies of, which arrived in port phillip bay, melbourne, victoria in the period 1842-1850. the public records of victoria claims they don't exist, as they are unassisted (unassisted indexes exist from 1852). so i was wondering if copies would exist in england? if that's the case, who is likely to have them? county archives? national archives?

i have found announcements of the ships arrivals on trove (australian newspapers) but they aren't detailed for passengers. to make it worse i have letters from various family members of the last century stating they saw the passenegr lists with our families on them. whether they did or saw something else is another question.

Previous to 1856, Victoria was still part of New South Wales.

And although PROV have copies of some of the historical documents, assisted migrant passengers lists and such, you will find some indexes in the NSW State Records On-line databases. (http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-...lection-search, and go to Online indexes)

Assisted Immigrants arriving in Sydney, Newcastle, Moreton Bay and Port Phillip
    The Index covers:
    * Port Phillip, 1839-51
    * Sydney and Newcastle, 1844-59
    * Moreton Bay (Brisbane), 1848-59
    * Assisted (Bounty) Immigrants, 1828-42
    * Unassisted Immigrants 1842-55
    * Miscellaneous Immigrants 1828-43

The colonial government was more concerned with keeping track of the assisted migrants for financial reasons, than keeping records of fare paying passengers who did not owe the government any money. So full-fare passengers of this period have few records.

I know that there are records created by the Immigration Agents for Assisted migrants before departure (and copies of those are held by NSW State Records) but would not think that authorities in England would have bothered to keep any records of ordinary passengers departing their shores.

However, someone over there might know better if such things exist in TNA.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

the unassisted arrivals NSW 1842-1855 has both ships i need, but not the right voyage! grr

Comment

Many/most voyages to Australia around the 1840-1860 period were from Liverpool. If you can identify the ship, it's possible that Liverpool Maritime Museum may have some records. They have done a lot of work on the Black Ball Line (my avatar the Champion of the Seas was one of theirs).
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

the one in 1842 left liverpool, the one in 1850 from plymouth. i'll try the liverpool museum john, thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
          X