• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look up please

Really would love to know what happened to this Girl any help please

Ellen Bruce born 3 Nov 1864 Sudbury Suffolk

here she is in 1891 a Mat Maker cannot find her after this

I know about her bigamous marriage to Frederick Knight in 1894 he went back to his proper wife and stayed with her till her death in 1897 then he died in 1902

Wow, this is a strange one. I have searched on Ancestry 1901 for first name Ellen, born Suffolk 1864 +/- 5 years and that is all, no other criteria at all, and I am getting absolutely nothing.

I would normally expect some matches even if they weren't the correct ones.
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 08-04-14, 22:23.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

she could of course have married again or died ? but I cannot find anything thanks for looking

Comment

I was working on married, which is why I searched on first name only. Can't find any likely deaths, but what name, Bruce or Knight? Was the marriage official annulled?

What I find strange is that in the whole of Suffolk there is not a single Ellen born who survived 32-42 years until 1901.
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

well he was tried and imprisoned for a while so I assumed the marriage was annulled ,and as she is calling herself Bruce and not Knight in 1891 I would have thought she was still using that surname.
          Funny enough people who have the family in their trees on Ancestry dont know what happened to her or one of her Brothers.

Comment

Pete I just looked in 1901 on FMP and just put Ellen born abt 1865 plus or minus 5 years born Suffolk and got 1566 results ???
            I'm getting good on FMP ;)

Comment

I'm getting good on FMP
              Ooh, get you! ;)

Seriously, good to hear, Val.

Comment

I have checked Ancestry again, and it seems they have been 'improving' the system, just like FMP!

Where you used to be able to type place names in and ignore the suggestions that pop up, you can't any more and have to pick an item from the list or the search won't work.

I used to ignore the list as it was always Town, County, Country which is often too much detail as the county isn't always recorded on the census, and the transcriber's inferred county is often way off (I believe they were transcribed in the USA).

Anyway to get back to the point, Ancestry insist that Sudbury is in Middlesex according to the popup list! There are two Sudburys in Middlesex, one in Massachusetts, USA and the other near Harrow, but the Suffolk one isn't there to choose from. However with a bit of playing about I discovered that if you type 'Sudbury, Suffolk' you get results, and if you type 'Suffolk, England' you get results, but just place or county on their own do not work.

It is getting too late now to trawl through the results, so I will have another go in the morning.
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

No luck on 1901 census, but I have found a possible marriage, but only the BMD index; doesn't seem to be a parish register online for it.

It is the right area for where she was in 1891, but it is going to be difficult to check it out as the other female on the page is also Ellen.

Camberwell Jun 1892 1d 1469

William Charles Blunden
                  Ellen Bruce
                  Arthur Stephen Riddiford
                  Ellen Eliza Sweeper
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Forget that last one; I've found both couples in 1901 and neither are born in Sudbury
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Susan seeing as I got another 2 months free thought it a shame to waste it so really got stuck in, and although I prefer the old method this might be good once I get used to it.
                      Thanks again Pete wonder if maybe she migrated?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                        Wow, this is a strange one. I have searched on Ancestry 1901 for first name Ellen, born Suffolk 1864 +/- 5 years and that is all, no other criteria at all, and I am getting absolutely nothing.

I would normally expect some matches even if they weren't the correct ones.
                        I just tried it Pete and you can override their choices you know. I typed born Sudbury Suffolk 1864 +/- 1 Ellen and have got a page full

p.s. Oddly enough, one of them is an Ellen Bruce but married to William Bruce.
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-04-14, 19:54.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

What was her fathers name Val?
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-04-14, 20:04.

Comment

Amos Bruce Chrissie he died in 1896 ,and thanks for looking ,cant find what happened to her Brother James either and nobody else who has them in their tree has either ?

Comment

I had found one of two marriages on Ancestry Val but non of them were father Amos - apart from the Knight one of course.

Comment

thanks Chrissie am going back to seeing if I can find that Brother maybe it will lead me to her ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  I just tried it Pete and you can override their choices you know. I typed born Sudbury Suffolk 1864 +/- 1 Ellen and have got a page full
                                  Been playing again, and found it won't accept Sudbury on it's own for me. On the 1901 for England if I put Sudbury in Location for Birth and nothing else, set to 'This place only' I get 5 records returned, none of whom are born in Sudbury. If I put in Sudbury, Suffolk I get 8,177, all of whom are born in Sudbury.

However I have tried several other places, and they work fine. For example try Beedon on its own, I get 366 records and Beedon, Berkshire also gives 366 (it is a very small village!)

With Val's experience with the link I posted on her other thread, something very odd is going on at Ancestry.
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

I don't know whether it makes any difference Pete but I am on this view (see link below). So perhaps that's why different people appear to be getting different results?

Comment

Just done that Chrissie, and I still get exactly the same; just 'Sudbury' in PoB, set to 'Restrict to exact' and I get 5 results, none of whom are born in Sudbury. Very odd.
                                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

I don't tick exact Pete, so that might be why?
                                        p.s. I do add Suffolk though.
                                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-04-14, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                                        X