PDA

View Full Version : Record Office: Francis (Frank) Connor - 1857 - 1916 - went to W. Australia

Sue1
08-04-14, 21:39
This chap is my husband's Great (maybe a second Great) Uncle. His mother was Mary Ann unknown (1823 - 1886) and his father Francis Connor (1817 - 1885)
I have their dobs. Frank Connor was born in Newry, Co. Down. It is possible his house in Western Australia (Perth I think) is actually called "Newry". His death took place in Benger, Western Australia on 24.8.1916.
I know that his killing in a shooting was an accident - he was cleaning his gun and had not unloaded it and was sitting behind the door where he usually cleaned his gun - his wife opened the door and hit him with it and the gun went off - he died. I have found, today, a beautiful photo of him - the first my husband has seen. It was in an Australian publication called Pastoral Review online. There were also a couple of obituaries online and it was also reported in a Newry newspaper and we have a yellowed copy of this.
This chap was into politics from what I can make out (my husband had always thought he was a Judge) but he was a "member of the lower house" and a "member of the upper house".
I know from an Australian newspaper I have just seen that he married in Sydney. I don't know his wife's name.
He apparently had 8 children - in 1916 2 sons are in Manila and another had just returned invalided from the "front" - this also from an Australian newspaper clipping.
I don't have access to Australian records and I wondered if it would be possible for someone to find his children's names and dob - also the date of his marriage in Sydney. I have no idea if there are/were Australian census at that time. If Perth is in Western Australia I think that must be were Benga is.
I believe/understand it is possible that the reason the wife rushed into the room looking for him was to let him know that the Parish Priest had arrived ........... a fortuitous arrival it turned out to be!

Grateful thanks for any help.

Sue

Karamazov
09-04-14, 19:33
This search gave me twelve results on Trove which you can browse through at your leisure for quite a wealth of information:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=Francis+Connor+benger&exactPhrase=&anyWords=Mlc&notWords=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&fromdd=01&frommm=08&fromyyyy=1916&todd=01&tomm=01&toyyyy=1917&l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&sortby=

The most informative in terms of family members was this one:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/37436498?searchTerm=Francis%20Connor%20benger%20AN D%20(Mlc)&searchLimits=exactPhrase%7C%7C%7CanyWords=Mlc%7C%7 C%7CnotWords%7C%7C%7Cl-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*%7C%7C%7Cfromdd =01%7C%7C%7Cfrommm=08%7C%7C%7Cfromyyyy=1916%7C%7C% 7Ctodd=01%7C%7C%7Ctomm=01%7C%7C%7Ctoyyyy=1917%7C%7 C%7Cl-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*%7C%7C%7Csortby

which mentions eight children: Frank, Patrick, Hugh, Moira, Kitty, Thomas, Roderick, and Peggy, who was 5 at the time of her fathers death.

It also mentions his wife's maiden name from which I was able to find a marriage record: Francis Connor married Hannah Hoins in Paddington, NSW In 1891:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/37436498?searchTerm=Francis%20Connor%20benger%20AN D%20(Mlc)&searchLimits=exactPhrase%7C%7C%7CanyWords=Mlc%7C%7 C%7CnotWords%7C%7C%7Cl-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*%7C%7C%7Cfromdd =01%7C%7C%7Cfrommm=08%7C%7C%7Cfromyyyy=1916%7C%7C% 7Ctodd=01%7C%7C%7Ctomm=01%7C%7C%7Ctoyyyy=1917%7C%7 C%7Cl-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*%7C%7C%7Csortby

Regards,
Christine

Sue1
09-04-14, 21:41
Thank you so much for that Christine - it has given me everything I wanted to know i.e. marriage, maiden name of wife and children's names and I also know which son was the soldier and which two were in Manilla.
Very grateful indeed.

Sue

Karamazov
10-04-14, 13:31
Thank you so much for that Christine - it has given me everything I wanted to know i.e. marriage, maiden name of wife and children's names and I also know which son was the soldier and which two were in Manilla.
Very grateful indeed.

Sue

You're welcome - glad to be of help.
Just realised I didn't send you the correct link for the marriage record so here it is now:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/IndexSearch?form=IndexingSearch&SessionID=45284542&event=marriages&sname=Connor&gname=Francis&fname=&mname=&frange=1891&trange=&place=&submitBtnOnce.x=66&submitBtnOnce.y=5

Christine

Sue1
10-04-14, 14:35
Thanks Christine. I hadn't actually noticed you hadn't sent the correct link! I have been working on him all morning and I have got his Wartime attestation papers and now know he had a pension (haven't found any more paperwork on that yet) and that he was in the 10th Light Horse - he was a Trooper - I have his service number now also.

Following your last message have now got marriage details in writing.

I have never had such a quick successful search thanks to you.

Sue

Karamazov
10-04-14, 23:36
Thanks Christine.

I have never had such a quick successful search thanks to you.

Sue
Great when a door just pushes wide open - and good that there seems to be so much available about him. I'm sure you will be able to find out more about him via Trove. Newspaper articles are great for putting flesh on the bones, so to speak!