Returning to UK-1900/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to UK-1900/10

I am trying to trace the return of Emma Doidge to UK, probably from Canada, but could be USA. She was absent in 1901 but appears again in 1911. Her age is variable, as is her name. Year of birth should show as 1859. Eventual destination likely to be Devon.

Any suggestions, however unlikely, will be considered. She has proved very elusive.

sorry not found her

Comment

Thanks, Val. It was a long shot anyway.

Emma was with her family in 1861/71 but I have been unable to trace her in 1881/91 and 1901. Then in 1911 there is an almost perfect match.

In 1885 she gave birth to a daughter in a Cornish parish some distance from her Devon home - a parish to which two of her brothers had moved shortly after 1881. Then, in 1886, her brothers migrated to Canada. In 1891 and 1901 Emma's daughter was in the care of her, Emma's, sister. My theory was that Emma may have followed her bothers to Canada, returning in time for the 1911 census. In truth, I have not been able to find evidence of her outward journey and now it appears there is no trace of any return. Another theory bites the dust!

I have considered marriage or death but there is no entry on BMD that seems immediately relevant. There is, however, a matching entry for a death in Exeter in 1940. All highly speculative but, for the moment, that's all I have to work on. The death certificate, even if it is for the right person, is unlikely to contain any information that will fill a 50 years gap.

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3L2-265 1881 working as a housemaid in Kensington in the Prideaux household

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X9H3-NNC a possible in 1901 but not much detail here

Edna

scrub this one above she is with husband William in 1881 census

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XSW5-9FZ this is the one from the first link back in Tavistock Devon
          Last edited by clematised; 08-04-14, 21:04.

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5BS-3HZ 1871 age 12 with her family in Tavistock

just the 1891 to find now I think

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ar%3A1859-1859~

There are a few possibles here for her so check the link out and see for yourself

Edna

Comment

Thanks, Edna, but some of your links are for ELLEN Doidge. The 1901 link is for Emma J Doidge. I realise that sometimes a middle name is adopted. The problem is that between 1857-60 6 Emma Doidges were registered in Tavistock (including 2 x Emma J), plus 2 in Launceston (which sometimes appears to have been used as an alternative)

Comment

OK I don't have any subscription sites just free ones

Edna

Comment

Can you give us the name of her brothers, their ages, where they settled in Canada , and name of their parents please.

I will have a look around for you.

bcbrit
                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks, bcbrit, for your very kind offer.

John , b 1855, and George, born 7 April 1864, sons of John and Mary (Bickell) Doidge
                      John married Sarah Parker (b c 1858) and George married sister Emily Parker (b c 1864)
                      John and George sailed Liverpool/Quebec on "Siberian". Landed 28 June 1886.
                      Sarah, Emily and children sailed Liverpool/Halifax on board "Sardinian" 11-21 Nov 1886

George and Emily eventually settled 866 Queens Ave., London, Ontario
                      John appears to have moved between Ontario and Detroit. Had children Florence Maud (1888), Victoria May (1891) Cora May(1894) and Sarah Beatrice (1896). All born London, Ont.

I hope that is enough to enable you to trace them.
                      Last edited by brentor boy; 09-04-14, 09:06.

Comment

Hi there,

I am sorry I haven't got back to sooner, but I was felled by a migraine.

I haven't quite finished looking, but here is an update. Using ancestry.ca and Canadian records only.

I looked for Emma, born 1859 +/- 5 years, born in England. Nothing jumped out. Also Doidge and variations - same result.

I then looked for brother George and family - in case she was put down under another name. I found Grorge in the 1891, 1911 and the 1921 census, plus his death registration, and some birth / marriages of his children. Interestingly I can not find them in the 1901 census.

This weekend I will tackle brother John in the Canadian and USA records, ans see if she is hiding with or near them.

I am not sure what you have on George. Let me know if you would like the information.

bcbrit
                        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Sorry to hear about the migraine. Hope things are back to normal now. Don't fret yourself about any delay. I am happy to wait for whatever you turn up.

I think I have all I need about George and family, thanks. On 21 March 1901 they were on board "Tunisian" sailing Liverpool-Portland, so it looks as if they missed both UK and Canadian census. 60 years ago I met his daughter, Minnie Amelia, when she was on a visit to UK.

Comment

Hi there,

I have had a good look around over the last couple of evenings, but just can't find her.

So either she has been badly transcribed, in transit on all the censuses that she is missing from, or abducted by aliens.

I did wonder if she was in a workhouse or prison ?

Sorry, I couldn't help more,

bcbrit

Comment

Thanks for your time and effort. You have, at least, more or less confirmed that she did not travel to Canada. I had thought she might have been in an institution of some sort. Still a lot of work to be done! It is strange that she should be missing from three censuses. I am almost certain that I have her in 1911.

Comment

Working...
                              X