Finding where ancestors were born.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding where ancestors were born.

I have been digging away at this side of the family on some census they have the name as whittenberg, finally got back to the Rebecca, Joseph. According to the 1841 census both were not born in this country, a family relative I have made contact with working on same family tree thinks they came from Germany hence the Whittenburg links. Is there any way we can find out if both arrived from Germany or where they came from?

So far it is:
    Joseph Whittenbury born approx 1796 wife Rebecca Whittenbury B: 1796
    D: July 1865 Manchester, Lancashire.

Children
    Elizabeth Whittenbury
    Daughter 1825
    Sarah Whittenbury
    Daughter 1829 Lancashire, England
    William Whittenbury
    Son abt 1833 Lancashire, England
    July 1899 Chorlton, Lancashire, United Kingdom

From this we travel along William's tree he married Mary Jane Scrymgeour
    William A Whittenbury
    Son 1 JAN 1860 Ancoats Manchester Lancashire
    19 AUG 1947 Ashton-U-Lyne, Lancashire, England
    Joseph Whittenbury
    Son 1860 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    19 AUG 1947 Ashton-U-Lyne, Lancashire, England
    Frederick Albert Whittenbury
    Son 2 Jan 1862 Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Jane Whittenbury
    Daughter 1863

From here we continue down Joseph married Emily M Roden
    B: abt 1870 Lancashire, England
    D: Mar 1945 Barton, Lancashire, England
    Louisa Whittenbury
    Daughter b. Mar 1895 Lancashire, United Kingdom
    1952 Tameside Cheshire AUD/2B/42
    Florence Whittenbury
    Daughter b. July 1903 Bolton, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    Feb 1992 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    William Alfred Whittenbury
    Son b. 19 AUG 1904 Harwich, Lancashire, England
    Mar 1950 Ashton-U-Lyne, Lancashire, England

From here we lose Whittenbury as Louisa marries James Stanfield Fran who I have been in contact with follows William.

I really need a way to find out of this brick wall where Joseph and Rebecca came from, Fran thinks it was Germany both were not born here.

Originally posted by Florenceanne View Post
    I have been digging away at this side of the family on some census they have the name as whittenberg, finally got back to the Rebecca, Joseph. According to the 1841 census both were not born in this country, a family relative I have made contact with working on same family tree thinks they came from Germany hence the Whittenburg links. Is there any way we can find out if both arrived from Germany or where they came from?
    I think if you check the 1841 census, it says they were not born in this COUNTY, that is the county in which the census was taken. It doesn't say "not born in this country".
    Elaine

Comment

Have you found Joseph or Rebecca in a later census which should give the place of birth.
      Elaine

Comment

Whittenbury is a reasonably common surname. I think "Whittenburg" is a mistransciption - some of the entries on Lancsbmd say either Whittenbury OR Whittenburg, meaning the transcriber didn't know which it was. If it was a German surname I'd expect it to be spelled Wittenburg.

I see a death for Rebecca in 1852, but she is the wrong age (67) and could not really be the mother of William.

As Elaine says, have you found them in 1851 to see where they were born?

OC

Comment

William's baptism 1832

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Elizabeth, father Joseph, marries Thomas Watson 1855 but haven't found anything 1851.

Been looking at this

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I cannot find any trace of Joseph or Rebecca in any other census just 1841

Rebecca's William was born in 1833 the family seem to like to keep names going each generation has a William, the William born 1860 was Rebecca's grandson.
            Still plugging away found some deaths at early age but wish to find more info before adding to the tree.

Thank you all for the help

Comment

On your first post you indicate that you have a death for Rebecca -
              Rebecca Whittenbury B: 1796 D: July 1865 Manchester, Lancashire.
              Do you have the certificate for this death, or is it just a guess that this is your Rebecca?
              Elaine

Comment

My Doctor was Dr Wittenberg here in Garston until about 8 years ago ...that was the first and only time I had heard the name ...
                not trying to veer you away from your family ,but maybe this man Maximillian Wittenberg has some connection ??

Baptism: 26 Oct 1874 St Mark, Gorton, Lancashire, England
                Arthur John Wittenberg - [Child] of Maximillian Wittenberg & Elizabeth
                Abode: Manchester
                Baptised by: Richard Tomlins

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJJN-1D9 if you would rather ignore this family ,let me know and I will stop posting ...
                Last edited by garstonite; 09-04-14, 08:56.
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Rebecca Whittenbury who died in 1865 was an infant, so not your Rebecca. (Lancsbmd).

OC

Comment

There is another Rebecca Whittenbury death in Manchester in 1852 (2nd qtr) but she is aged 67, so probably too old to be yours.
                    Elaine

Comment

Whittenbury is definitely an English surname, quite rare, but VERY old, so I think the "foreign" aspect is a red herring.

OC

Comment

What was Joseph's occupation please?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          What was Joseph's occupation please?
                          1841 census shows him as a labourer.
                          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

There is a marriage for Elizabeth Whittenbury, father Joseph in 1855 in Manchester. Joseph's occupation given as mechanic.
                          Elaine

Comment

Ah, yes, his occupation is given again as mechanic when son William marries in 1875. Thanks Elaine.

I was trying to connect the family to the Whittenburys of Manchester, cotton manufacturers. As the surname is a relatively rare one, it would be quite surprising if there WASN'T a connection. They were nonconformists, which might explain a lack of records.

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X