Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herman

Good morning,
    I am trying to build up the genealogy of my great grand father.
    His name is HERMAN François
    Born Jul 11th, 1847 in Boulogne sur mer, France.
    For some reasons, he moved to England with one of his daughters, her husband and 2 children.
    I have a trace of his presence in Fulham in the 1901 census (public record office - ref RG 13/55 page 28).
    Then, I found that he was deceased in 1920 in Sheffield (volume 9c page 526)
    In-between = no trace at all (1911 census)...
    I suspect that he might have had a son during this period of time but I am completely stuck.
    I would greatly appreciate any help to "put me back on the horse" ;)
    Thank you for your attention.

Welcome to the forum.

I am moving your query over to our Family History Research forum where hopefully some of our members might be able to help.
    Elaine

Comment

welcome to the boards
      what was the name of the daughter and her family please.
      Not seeing him on t 1911 yet

Comment

This is the Ancestry census for him in 1901.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

thank you for your welcome and to Elaine for moving the thread to the proper forum.
          To come back to the daughter :
          Her maiden name was HERMAN Pauline, born on oct 14th, 1872 in Boulogne sur mer,
          married to LEMATTRE Louis (uncorrectly named LEMATTI in the 1901 census) and deceased in march 1956 in Durham NE
          Her children were Pauline, then Louise and later Paul (in 1903).
          In fact I am more concerned by her father François HERMAN
          Thank you for your interest

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
            This is the Ancestry census for him in 1901.
            http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=1

Thank you for this link but I had already found this.
            What seems "strange" is that he is not on the radar screens anymore between this 1901 census and his death in Sheffield in 1920.

Comment

Could this be them on the 1911 census

Pauline Lemattre b c1873 France

Street address:
              48 Tyne Vale Aln Street Hebburn

Household -
              Louis Lemattre 38
              Pauline Lemattre 38
              Louise Lemattre 15
              Margueritte Lemattre 10
              Paul Lemattre 8
              William Turnbull 29
              John Watker 26
              Thomas Clarkson 24
              John Knox Smyth
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 07-04-14, 17:43. Reason: details edited - please do not copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry/FMP etc. Thanks

Comment

Yes Terrianne, I knew this already because I had chosen to develop the track of finding some still alive having know or heard of their grandfather François Herman.
                Here are the various details that I have collected :

- Louise, born in +/- 1896 in France, married in 1919 in Durham with a Mr Hall
                - Marguerite, born on Aug 24th, 1901 in Fulham, married in 1926 in Durham with a Mr Mc Leod
                - Paul, born on Feb 18th, 1903 - deceased Feb 2nd, 1985 in Birmingham - married in 1923 with a Miss Alexander in Durham

probable children of Paul :
                - (name removed) married in 1952 with a (name removed)(born in 1935 in Birmingham ?)
                - (name removed) born in 1938 in Birmingham
                I could not find any others but there might be some ?

I had located 5 (name removed) in Birmingham and tried to make contact to check if they were somewhere related to the Lemattre family but I had no success ... People are so much solicited on the phone at lunch time plus my french accent ... that kills the goodwills !

Since François Herman disappeared from the screens between 1901 and his death in Sheffield in 1920, I thought of trying to find someone still alive who would have heard of him or would be able to give some indications.
                Give me your feeling and tell me if it is worth it.
                Thank you again for your disponibility.
                Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 07-04-14, 19:44. Reason: removed names of possible living people ..

Comment

The children of Paul may be living people so should not be named on a public forum, moderators will remove it, you can let people know by personal message, click their username on the board to send private message from the drop down box

Edna

Comment

Have you bought Francois Herman's death certificate? There may be some clues on it such as who registered his death and exactly where he was living.

Anne

Comment

You can order the death certificate for £9.25 from here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp and that will tell you who registered his death which may help you find living relatives.

There is very little to find between 1901 and present day as the last census we can access is 1911.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        Have you bought Francois Herman's death certificate? There may be some clues on it such as who registered his death and exactly where he was living.

Anne
                        Yes, I have ordered it but I do not expect too many additional infos from it.

Comment

Working...
                        X