Banns read but no Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banns read but no Marriage

I have the banns for a marriage in 1894 but cannot find the marriage, the Groom Thomas Henry Bruce born 1870 says he is single in 1901:( ?
    Is it possible they never married

Here's what Ancestry says 'If married by banns, the couple was required to announce or publish their intention to marry for three consecutive Sundays. If no one objected to the intended marriage, then the couple was allowed to marry. Just because banns were published does not guarantee the marriage actually took place. Therefore, it is possible to find a couple among the marriage banns, but not be able to find an actual marriage record for them.'

On this page .. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623

Comment

Yes, somewhere along the way I have seen banns but no marriage, I can't remember who it was though.

I think I have one where the banns were read but the marriage did not take place for several months. Someone objected, or changed their mind perhaps or could the bride have died ?
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
        Yes, somewhere along the way I have seen banns but no marriage, I can't remember who it was though.

I think I have one where the banns were read but the marriage did not take place for several months. Someone objected, or changed their mind perhaps or could the bride have died ?
        I had one like that, think having the baby got in the way!
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
          Here's what Ancestry says 'If married by banns, the couple was required to announce or publish their intention to marry for three consecutive Sundays. If no one objected to the intended marriage, then the couple was allowed to marry. Just because banns were published does not guarantee the marriage actually took place. Therefore, it is possible to find a couple among the marriage banns, but not be able to find an actual marriage record for them.'

On this page .. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1623
          Ancestry's page is incorrect.
          The Marriage Act does not require banns to be read on consecutive Sundays the requirement is

"7.-(I) Subject to the provisions of section nine of this Act, banns of matrimony shall be published on three Sundays preceding the solemnization of the marriage during morning service or, if there is no morning service on a Sunday on which the banns are to be published, during evening service."

an important difference.

However to return to the original question about banns but no marriage.
          It was not uncommon for banns to be read once, twice or even three times and no marriage take place, banns were simply announcement of the intention to marry..
          Sometimes they would be read at a later date and the couple married, sometimes the couple never married and sometime one or both married other people (by licence or other having banns read)
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

That's a good point Guy in which case it could be that the marriage date is well after the banns having been read. I have seen some where the last banns were the same day as the wedding as presumably people were expected to raise their objection immediately following the banns or even at the wedding ceremony.
            Margaret

Comment

thanks everybody this man dies in 1913 and I have not found him in 1911 yet so dont know whether he was married by then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                thanks everybody this man dies in 1913 and I have not found him in 1911 yet so dont know whether he was married by then ?
                Where was he born? Have you looked to find the bride anywhere after 1896?

Margaret

Comment

thing is Margaret I dont know anything about her no father no age nothing so not really sure what I'm looking for

he was born in Sudbury Suffolk in 1870
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-04-14, 13:24.

Comment

What about this one in 1911?
                    Transcribed on Ancestry as Thomas BLuce -(Bruce on FMP)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks a lot Janet thats him and he says married , great now to find the marriage thanks again

Comment

Have you checked that the marriage registers (as well as banns) for Walworth St John are deposited at the LMA?

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I was looking through the normal marriage entries after I found the banns , but now he says married in 1911 I will look for a marriage between 1901 and 1911

Comment

Val, was he in the workhouse or some other institution in both 1901 & 1911?
                            If so, the marital status might not be accurate on one or both returns. ( I'm thinking no wife, no homemaker; so he could be a widower.) The answer you get depends on the question; - "Are you married ?" could produce the answer "no" therefore implying you must be single. "Have you ever been married?" could produce the answer "yes," implying you still are married. Or, he could have been widowed in 1901 and remarried by 1911!

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

As a matter of interest I have found banns for one of mine on ancesty in the LMA records, but no marriage, and knowing this ancestor, I think this is more a case of marriages just not got to Ancestry LMA, rather than no marriage.

Janet

Comment

he is in a lodging house in 1901 too and says single maybe he did marry that girl then ? I will look for her in 1911 thanks again

Comment

There is a marriage record for Thomas Bruce marrying in 1898 to
                                  Anna Mary Bygrave
                                  Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1898
                                  Registration district: St Saviour Southwark
                                  Inferred County: London
                                  Volume Number: 1d
                                  Page Number: 245

Margaret
                                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 07-04-14, 14:52.

Comment

thanks Margaret but dont think thats him it says French Polisher he was a Mat Maker still in 1901 ?

Comment

The French polisher & wife Annie also appear in census - I think this is a different Thomas.

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Looking at the banns register, it would seem that if a subsequent marriage took place at that church (Walworth St John) the vicar noted in the banns reg the relevant marriage register entry number. (The parties with this number added can be found in the LMA marriage register images, whilst those without the additional number don't feature in the marriage reg images.)
                                        So I guess they didn't marry at Walworth St John. However, the banns could have been called in two different parishes, depending on the home parish of both parties, and the marriage of these two could have taken place outside of London. I can't see anything in the GRO index though????

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X