Reply from FMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply from FMP

this is the reply I got from a complaint I made tonight, so they are listening?

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback. We're actively working to bring improvements to the new site, the first set of which went live yesterday. These include:

- A new way to browse every single record set available on the site. You can access that here:http://search.new.findmypast.co.uk/historical-records
    - New search options across all our main categories and subcategories
    - The ability to sort all the results for every type of search we offer
    - Improvements to category and individual census search forms

These improvements are just the start, and we hope to continue to release regularly updates, based on the feedback users such as yourself are providing. So please continue to try these improvements, and let us know you thoughts. We've also launched a page where you can keep track of the changes and improvements we make as they go live, which you can access here anytime: http://new.findmypast.co.uk/articles/help/whats-new

Paul Dunlop
    findmypast Product Manager

Me too Val. Quite impressed, as you say at least they are listening

Linda

Comment

did you see on the forum some people have been given 2 months extra membership for their trouble? think everybody should get it not one or two.

Comment

To me they have rolled out the new site when it isn't much more than a beta version. Making improvements and fixing things 'on the fly' is what should have happened with an army of beta testers before unleashing it on the general public. These fixes are distinct from the normal improvements that get added over a period of time.

I am a beta tester for a couple of programs; one open source so that is voluntary, but the other one is a commercial program that I get substantial discounts for being a beta tester.

I object most strongly at being used as a beta tester for a commercial product for free.

Even though everyone has moaned about the changes on Ancestry, at least they ran the two alongside each other for a very long time, and as far as I know everything did actually work.
        Last edited by PeteW1959; 03-04-14, 00:07.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

quite right Pete, its obvious they were nowhere near ready to unleash it, I'm angry as I am paid up till December and wish I wasn't.

Comment

It's a blooming debacle, they've made a pig's ear of it!

Hopefully Val, they'll have made some vast improvements way before December. I think they'll realise what a big mistake they've made and work overtime to improve the site, they are going to have to, if they value their customers. Without customers they've no business. They have been shortsighted in using paid customers to test the new search; it's now time for them to go some way towards placating their customers, or lose them.

Comment

FMP is an overall better site than ancestry, and they actually acknowledge the public. they said from the get go there would be issues with the new site, and that they would listen to us and get those issues sorted asap. so far, i think they're doing that. don't forget they told us months in advance things were changing, gave us an oppurtunity to help develop and design the new site, and listened to feedback through the whole process. did ancestry do that? nope. ancestry just pushed on us what they thought was a better site. didn't really try to merge the best points of the old search with the new. still have diastrous transcriptions. still have wrong parishes and years mixed up. don't even acknowledge emails about such complaints. havn't listened at all.

right now i'm seeing temper tantrums from members who should give them a break. threatening to end your sub because there are issues? i could understand that if the site itself was more than 2 weeks old.......but it's not. they're going to have issues. they will sort them. inform them that your unhappy, and give them proper reasons. but don't trow a tantrum. that's childish. with FMP's record, it would just be wise after you've given feedback, to give them a week, maybe two to sort these issues. still not done after that? then throw your tantrum.
              Last edited by kylejustin; 03-04-14, 02:34.

Comment

I initially had a problem logging on to the new FMP at the weekend, but resolved it myself within a couple of hours. I also had a quick response from them to my email (sent before I sorted it out myself). Since then, I've had no issues with searching on the site.

I know both sites have different things on offer but I still don't like the Ancestry "new" search, which I've tried to use over the past year or so on the library version - I've just about given up on it. I'll be sticking with FMP.
                Jenny

Comment

But... the site doesn't work for some of us, Kyle. It runs so slow it may as well stop. We are not throwing tanrums we are expressing our expectations for a service we have paid good money for, a service which we are not getting.

I don't think any of us are so naive as to believe that companies won't ever find it necessary to make database changes; our gripe with FMP is the way in which it has been done, for some it was foisted on them overnight giving members no opportunity to ease themselves in gently. Ancestry did give subscribers that opportunity they [Ancestry] ran old and new search concurrently for 6yrs, therefore Ancestry's members had all that time to adjust.

I don't agree that FMP is a better overall site than Ancestry [I subscribe to both], it did have some advantages over Ancestry, and vice versa, the position now, for me is: Ancestry is winning hands down. That said, there are changes Ancestry have made that I think were a backward step, but I do see positives too in Ancestry's changes, I've yet to find anything positive in FMP's new search.

I can only speak for myself in saying 'I am not threatening to end my subs', my message to FMP is: unless you pull your finger out and quick I shall not be renewing. I think that's my perogative, don't you? I have to decide whether something is worth my money.

We all have different opinions on everything, that's partly what makes us all unique, I accept your opinion is different to mine and hope you will afford me the same respect.

Comment

i accept you have the right to your opinion, and i am not aiming this at specifically anyone, just a generalisation of the comments i have been reading on the blogs, here and at FMP. i think they copped quite a lot of abuse at this, and undeserved. no one can say they weren't warned about the launch of the new site. now i understand the beta testing issue, i think that's fair to expect some use in general to iron out wrinkles instead of just putting everyone on it.

but i certainly think a lot of the people complaining aren't being respectful. personally i find FMP wonderful. but i'm young and we tend to be better at navigating technology than say people 50+, which is the age group being the rudest on the FMP forum i think. people who don't understand you can't have the old site back, you just have to tell them what isn't working with the new one, and let them fix it.

yesterday FMP was excrutiatingly slow, but today it was working fine. so either they have ironed out that particular wrinkle, or it all depends on what time you use it, for traffic load.

Comment

sent them an email about the 'slowness'

I got an answer back within an hour saying they had technical issues that day but they were working to rectify it.

Seems fine today

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        i accept you have the right to your opinion, and i am not aiming this at specifically anyone, just a generalisation of the comments i have been reading on the blogs, here and at FMP. i think they copped quite a lot of abuse at this, and undeserved. no one can say they weren't warned about the launch of the new site. now i understand the beta testing issue, i think that's fair to expect some use in general to iron out wrinkles instead of just putting everyone on it.

but i certainly think a lot of the people complaining aren't being respectful. personally i find FMP wonderful. but i'm young and we tend to be better at navigating technology than say people 50+, which is the age group being the rudest on the FMP forum i think. people who don't understand you can't have the old site back, you just have to tell them what isn't working with the new one, and let them fix it.

yesterday FMP was excrutiatingly slow, but today it was working fine. so either they have ironed out that particular wrinkle, or it all depends on what time you use it, for traffic load.
                        I am inclined to agree with Kyle, but watch the "agist" comments about changes in technology!!

If one subscribes to their emails and reads them and their blog regularly as I (a stripling of 63) do, then folk will have known for months about the changes. Personally, I contributed to the surveys along the way. And it makes sense to add features as they are needed by the punters, rather than bunging everything on at once and naturally copping flak about change ...

It may well be that the FMP site is running fractionally slower than usual, though I am finding it normal speed, but given that there will be a lot of people jumping in as they are moved over then it is hardly surprising, I think also if you don't have fast connection in the first place or, as we keep repeating here, the latest most up to date browsers and operating systems .... then you are bound to have problems with the speed.

At the end of the day, both Ancestry and FMP are going to be adding more to their sites. To enable this meant changes to their creaking infrastructure, but it'll all be good in the end.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

. but i'm young and we tend to be better at navigating technology than say people 50+, which is the age group being the rudest on the FMP forum i think.
                          Not sure how you can determine that those who are being the rudest are from the 50+ age group!

Personally I don't think age has a lot to do with it. It is more an understanding of how best to navigate a website, knowing what records are available and how to successfully search for them.
                          The slowness of the site is presumably a technical issue and totally separate from the search/result problems.

I am still struggling with Ancestry, having been an "old search" fanatic - it annoys me on a daily basis, but I know I just have to get on with it and work around the problems I encounter.
                          The same will have to apply to FMP - I am yet to move over to the new site, but from what I have seen FMP are providing some useful guidelines and hints of how to get the best out of their site.
                          Elaine

Comment

...but i'm young and we tend to be better at navigating technology than say people 50+,
                            Another 50+ here, and I run websites and build databases for a living, so hardly a technophobe.

The issue for me is they have released a product, one that people are paying for, that is clearly not ready. Imagine if Vauxhall produced a new car, but announced that the engine isn't quite right yet, so you may have to get out and push occasionally; would you buy one?

I have a limited budget for my hobby and have to spend my money wisely. That is why I only buy BMD certificates that might help me unravel a mystery; I would love to have them all for my direct line, but I can't justify it.

I have had an Ancestry subscription for about 10 years, and occasionally used FMP on a PAYG basis. I preferred Ancestry's search, they had more relevant records for me and I found their transcriptions to be better. However FMP's address search was indispensable at times, and I would use that with PAYG credits.

When Ancestry got rid of the old search I found them not to be as useful to me, and as FMP had introduced monthly subscriptions I didn't renew Ancestry and gave FMP a go for a month. I was quite happy with FMP and was going to continue with them, until they pushed me onto the new site.

Apart from the performance issues (and I understand the increased traffic as people try the new format, but a company the size of DC Thompson should have realised that and they could have put in temporary extra capacity at their data centre), functionality is severely restricted. The most useful feature (search by address) was removed, and when it was put back it is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. With old address search just entering a street name would bring up a list of all districts containing that name (essential in London where boundaries change constantly), and clicking the link would bring up a list WITH HOUSE NUMBERS. Now you have to enter the district/borough as well, and get a list of names instead of house numbers. What use is that? If a name search had worked I wouldn't have need to do an address search in the first place!

From what I can make out, they have no intention to put the address search back to the old format, so for me the biggest plus point of FMP has now gone.

Web companies have got into the mind set that if they don't constantly change their sites, people will get bored and they will lose customers. I know this to be true because I have been to countless seminars where this idea is pushed forward. They must think we are really fickle if we are going to go away because things aren't constantly 'improved'. I understand that things do have to change sometimes, and with the increased amount of datasets being introduced by both Ancestry and FMP their old databases could not cope; you can only do so much upgrading before you have to rewind and start afresh. However it wasn't necessary to remove some of the functionality when they did change, and totally ignore their customers in the process.

They may pick up a few more subscribers because the 'dumbed down' search and functionality will grab those who perhaps found genealogy a bit geeky and technical, but I think they will lose a whole load more loyal customers who feel they have been ignored.

The huge problem for both companies is that in general for a business to be viable and to attract investment capital it needs to show it can grow it's business. However genealogy is a fairly limited field, and pretty much anyone who is going to spend money on it is already doing so.
                            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                            Devine in Ireland

Comment

I have been thinking recently of taking out a sub to FMP for a short time to check out a few items that they have, and also to do a trawl of their newspaper database. Would it be best to wait a bit then? I have never really got on with their search engine and the way they show results - I disagree with having to use credits to see indexes that are freely available elsewhere, and some of their record transcriptions which cost 5 credits are completely useless.
                              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I am another well over 50+++ and my technology has sometimes been found to be better than many 20 years younger than me!! And I am always ready to accept techie help! I have yet to try the new FMP as I am still able to use the old one.

Sadly with worldwide ancestry and with FMP and Ancestry offering different subjects for my Family History, I really have no choice but to continue with both subs.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 03-04-14, 12:50.

Comment

I have just had to sign in and have now been transferred to the new site. It's interesting, but had no difficulty finding my way around census so far. The site is quicker on my newer computer than on the older computer, so there may be some computer issues for those with older machines rather than difficulties with older people!!

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 03-04-14, 14:49.

Comment

Well I'm only 21 ;)if you read the FMP contract you will see why we are angry they are not keeping to their side of it, and whether we knew or not it was coming makes no difference it should not have ben launched before it was ready.

Comment

I have just played around with the FMP site for about an hour and was able to find an address in Southampton by trying out a few things. I found this very useful, as the final list showed about 163 names of people living in that road, and as the names were all in alphabetical order, it was easy to scroll through the pages to see if there was anyone of interest to me living in that road in 1901. I think I will actually prefer that to the street search that was on there before, where you had to go into each one before finding a possible name of interest. There was one hiccup though as I put down Southampton as a City, whereas it was a Town in 1901 so you might need to brush up on what are Towns and what are Cities in the census years you are interested in!

Janet

Comment

well a new name has been suggested for Findmypast its Cantfindmypastsorry but they have a lot of changes to do to make it work they have actually refunded whats left on some peoples memberships? not a good sign.

Comment

Working...
                                        X