Ancestry Research/Brindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Research/Brindle

Hi i hope ive put this in the right section sorry if i havnt the site is huge. Im looking for help for my stepfathers side. His name is Harold Brindle D.O.B 21/04/1920 in Warrington Cheshire. Died 1999 in Reading Berkshire. All i know he said he had a brother called Harry and had 2 previous wives who both died young. A relative of his has the surname of Ball im presuming this to be his mums maiden name. He married my mum Sylvia Hankinson Nee jones 16/12/1971. Sorry i never really thought to ask questions untill both parents had passed away. Any help would be fantastic so i can get him on my tree where he deserves to be.

There are a number of Brindle/Ball births in Warrington (Freebmd) including Harold and Harry.

I think you need your parents' marriage cert, which will give you his father's name, as there are a number of Brindle/Ball marriages, although the 1903 one looks very likely.

OC

Comment

First of all you would need to send for his birth certificate to find out his parents names. The reference is Harold Brindle - mothers maiden name Ball - June quarter of 1920 - Warrington reference no 8c 442. The best place to order one is the GRO - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp . I have had a look though and I think that the most likely parents are George Harold Brindle, who married in the September quarter of 1903 - Warrington 8c 352 - also on the page is a Phoebe Emma Ball. If this is the right marriage I have found them in the 1911 census. I know you don't have Ancestry but will put up the link for anyone else who wants to take a look - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

These are the household members - George Harold Brindle age 32 - an engine fitter - Born Ashton in Makerfield Warrington Lancashire.
      Phoebe Emma Brindle 27 wife born Hanley Staffordshire - Leonard Ball 8 Illegititmate son born Earlestown, Lancashire - Doris Brindle 5 daughter - William Brindle 4 son - Rupert Brindle 2 son all three born Warrington. Married 7 years had 5 children 4 still alive, one died. Living at 7 Grafton St Warrington Lancashire.

There are 6 more possible births for children from Dec 1911 to Harry in June 1928 (2 girls and 4 boys including Harold and Harry - all in Warrington. Harry died in Warrington in 1992.
      You will find these children in Free BMD if you put in surname Brindle and in mothers maiden name put Ball - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh my word you lot work fast, Funny now i remember some of these names, Looks like you got it, im Overwhelmed. thank you so much. Thank goodness for people like you to help, x

Comment

Sorry how do i find out who his previous wives was

Comment

I can see a couple of marriages which look likely - but you would need to get the marriage certs to confirm his father's name.

OC

Comment

this looks a likely sequence, but you really would need to get cwerts to confirm.

Harold Brindle = Edna Darbyshire Mar 1948 Warrington 10f 1419

Death: Edna Brindle aged 25, Sept 1949, Warrington 10f 532

Harold Brindle = Vera Forde Jun 1953 Warrington 10f 1188

I cannot see a corresponding death for Vera, but maybe it hasn't been transcribed on Freebmd. Do you know that she definitely died?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                this looks a likely sequence, but you really would need to get cwerts to confirm.

Harold Brindle = Edna Darbyshire Mar 1948 Warrington 10f 1419

Death: Edna Brindle aged 25, Sept 1949, Warrington 10f 532

Harold Brindle = Vera Forde Jun 1953 Warrington 10f 1188

I cannot see a corresponding death for Vera, but maybe it hasn't been transcribed on Freebmd. Do you know that she definitely died?

OC
                im sure its the right one those names rings a bell, Thank you so much xx just been looking at other info from other post, dont know how you all do it lol . Maybe i did have more chats about family than i thought. just noticed Derbyshire i remember a aunt called Peggy with that surname Dad had said they both died i think of same thing too x
                Last edited by shaz131; 02-04-14, 10:56.

Comment

Can anyone try to help me find information on Leonard ball from the information above please, ie who is father was and marriage death.

Comment

On the 1911 census Leonard Ball is recorded as being born c1903 in Earlestown. As he is listed as illegitimate it is unlikely that any father's name will be recorded on his birth certificate!

Trying to find out if he married is like trying to find a needle in a haystack - unless you know where he may have lived when he was older then you have no idea which part of the country to start searching in - and Leonard Ball is not exactly an uncommon name.

Finding his death may be a little easier if he died after June 1969! After that date the date of birth (if known) was recorded on death certificates and it is possible to search the death index using just the name + date of birth.

One of the things you could do is to see if anyone else is researching the same family - most people (although not all!) are quite happy to share their research. There a number of sites where researchers put their trees online, e.g. Genes Reunited, Tribal Pages, Ancestry, Mundia are a few.
                    Elaine

Comment

This looks like the baptism for Leonard Ball -

Baptism: 10 Nov 1902 St John the Baptist, Earlestown
                      Leonard Ball - [Child] of Phebe Ball - born: 26 Oct 1902
                      Abode: 45, Vitriol Square
                      Notes: Illegitimate
                      Register: Baptisms 1902 - 1905, Page 1, Entry 2

source: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/index.html
                      - Earlestown appears to come under the parish of Newton-le-Willows
                      Elaine

Comment

Using the date of birth to search for a death registration - this could be a possible.

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
                        Leonard Alexanda Ball (date of birth 26 Oct 1902)
                        Date of death registration: Jun 1975
                        Registration district: Warrington
                        Volume: 35
                        Page: 0142
                        Elaine

Comment

Thank you will take a good luck around, thanks for replying x

Comment

sorry didnt see top two replys thank you so much xx

Comment

Hello, my mother's father was Leonard Ball. I think he had a brother called Harry and their father was George Brindle senior married to Leonard's mother after he was born and for some unknown reason they didn't change his surname to Brindle, keeping it as his mother's maiden name. I'll ask her if he had any other brothers, I personally never met them.

Comment

Thank you looking forwward to what you find out
                                Last edited by shaz131; 15-04-14, 07:41.

Comment

Does anyone know how to get hold of Aqua3 plz

Comment

Brindle Ball

Originally posted by shaz131 View Post
                                    Does anyone know how to get hold of Aqua3 plz
                                    Hello again, I asked my mother about her father's family and it seems your stepdad was one of ten children (parents George and Phoebe Brindle), his first wife was Edna Derbyshire who died of TB shortly after their marriage and second wife was Vera, but she doesn't know her surname. My mum said uncle Harold was a really nice person and knew he had moved to the Berkshire area. Hope this helps your family tree.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua36 View Post
                                      Hello again, I asked my mother about her father's family and it seems your stepdad was one of ten children (parents George and Phoebe Brindle), his first wife was Edna Derbyshire who died of TB shortly after their marriage and second wife was Vera, but she doesn't know her surname. My mum said uncle Harold was a really nice person and knew he had moved to the Berkshire area. Hope this helps your family tree.
                                      Thank you. Veras name was Forde, 10 children oh my word i didnt know that. Do you have any photos plz or information on the siblings. Harold was a darling has far has i was concerned he was my dad, Im still in Berkshire. Your the first family member ive spoken too, I would like to thank the forum in helping me find my step dads family, I am truly gratefull xxx

Comment

Harold was the second youngest son, there were five brothers; leonard, William, Robert, George Harold, and Harry, five sisters, Dot, flo, Peggy, Claire, can't remember the other one. My mum's brother also moved to Berkshire many years ago, married and brought up a family there, small world isn't it? only photos she has are of your stepdad's parents.

Comment

Working...
                                        X