Jewish Marriage, London, 1885

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish Marriage, London, 1885

The cert for the marriage states "Married in the Princes Street Synagogue according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish religion by Certificate

Would there be any record remaining of the Certificate? Where would it be located?

Thanks!
    Sarah

The certificate that this refers to is the one issued by the local registrar a couple of weeks after the couple gave their notice to marry. Unless banns are read in church (or very occasionally a licence issued) that is the wording on most marriage certificates. It is confirmation that proper notice has been given, the names displayed, no objections raised and therefore the marriage can legally go ahead. It won't contain any information not on the marriage certificate itself (with the possible exception of an address change having happened between notice and marriage), and as far as I know they are not kept.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 02-04-14, 07:52.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

You may find more details here in the United Synagogue Marriage Authorisations

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie - didn't know about those.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 02-04-14, 08:09.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, Antony & Jackie!
          sarah

Comment

Working...
          X