German Research - odd request!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Research - odd request!

I am keen to find about someone I met during WW2 - I was a child and so was she.

She was from Germany at a time when it probably would not be possible to sail or fly as a civilian.
    The War was I think, actually just over - she was about 5 and I was about 6. I remember her vividly and have always wondered about her and what happened to her.

She may well have stayed in England. She may well have returned to Germany later. I wondered if she was a Jewish escapee although she didn't, in retrospect, look Jewish at all.
    I remember her being brought to our house to meet my parents - she curtsied as she greeted my mother. [I remember getting into a lot of trouble when she left because I had giggled when she curtsied!]

I have her name but probably shouldn't put it on here as she may well be alive. She is not a relative but I am just curious to know what happened to her. No one ever explained why she was at our house - I think a neighbouring family may have been looking after her. She couldn't speak English.

Would be grateful to know of any websites that might be helpful. She doesn't come up on ancestry.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 01-04-14, 13:36.

I have German ancestors who were living in the UK during the war. They had exemption from internment certificates issued by the Home Office, which I found at TNA.

Where were you living? I may have some details if it was the right area.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

If you PM me the details I could check the current electoral rolls for her.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks Pete,

I was living in Cardinal Avenue, Morden, Surrey then.

Sue

Comment

Hmm, possibly the wrong area as my ancestors were more towards the river, but I may have something.

Can you PM the name, and any other info you have?
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
          X