Thomas Phillips, Monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Phillips, Monitor?

Hi guys, I've been researching the history of Dad's old school and came across a Thomas Phillips working there as a staff member, can anyone possibly advise me on how to narrow down who Thomas is please? He can be found on a search here: http://search.freefind.com/find.html...query=Phillips

The reason I'm asking is because I have 2 Thomas Phillips living in Stockton in that era:
    Thomas Phillips born in Great Stainton, 1841 to John Phillips & Susannah Fairburn
    His nephew Thomas born in Philadelphia, Durham 1878 to Robert Phillips & Hannah Cornforth which leads me to believe it's not him.
    A distant cousin named Thomas was born in 1872 Durham though.

Non family search on FreeBDM has found:
    Thomas, Stockton, Born Oct 1869
    Thomas, Stockton, Born Sept 1870
    Thomas, Stockton, Died June 1871
    Thomas, Stockton, Born June 1875

A Residence search on Family Search between 1869-1880 brings up 4 1881 Census 2 belong to my people and 2 don't. One was born in 1880 and the other is noted down as Thomas Philip.

I have emailed the creator of the site but sadly she doesn't have any more information on who he could be.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

My understanding is that monitors were boys of school leaving age who stayed on for a couple of years to assist with teaching and then sat exams which if passed meant they could go on to train as teachers. If I've got this right, bearing in mind the monitor Thomas worked from 1885 to 1887, Thomas born 1841 would be too old, Thomas born 1878 too young, as was Thomas born 1875. The three born 1869, 1870 and 1871 seem a better bet as they would have been between 14 and 16 in 1885.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ahh I thought it was our version of a Caretaker :o

Baring in mind that one died in 1871 aged one that could possibly just leave the 1869 one couldn't it?
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
      X