Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Brough b 1806 Birmingham

Hello fellow researchers,
    I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on whether I have found the correct Robert Brough on the 1841 census...& more importantly WHERE did Robert disappear to after the 1841 census???

ROBERT BROUGH b Birmingham 1806 to WILLIAM & ANN BROUGH (There were other children) This family lived in THORP ST Birmingham. Ann died in 1834 aged 67 years. William was a Tailor by trade. He is not living in Thorp Street in 1841, although he was living there when he died in 1847 aged 75 years.

There is a marriage 01/11/1839 in Edgbaston ROBERT BROUGH & ELIZABETH HARBRIDGE.

1841 Census: Webheath, Bromsgrove, Worcs: Piece 1198: Book 17: Folio 21: Page 3:

ROBERT BROUGH, 30, "Taylor" (not born in County) Note: I know the ages are off by a few years, but then it usually is on the 1841.!
    Elizabeth Brough,30. (born in County)
    William Brough, 60, Ind (Not born in County)

And that is the 1st & last sighting of Robert & Elizabeth....where did they go? I really would appreciate any & all help with this couple. Thank you.

Margaret.
    Last edited by skylark; 29-03-14, 13:26.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Mmmm! Thing is I have details of his baptism & he was born in 1806...baptised in 1807 @ St Martin's church Birmingham. So the age does not fit sadly. I wondered whether Robert & Elizabeth emigrated somewhere?

Thank you for looking Val.
    Margaret.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

ah just noticed was Robert a Tailor ?

Comment

Could this be your Robert in 1839

Paul

Comment

think she has them in 1841 Paul ?

Comment

Wow! Thank you so much Paul (& Val)...I think this info confirms that the family I found on the 1841 is the correct Brough branch, in spite of the ages being miles out. I had no idea that there was so much info to be found in these trade directories...in fact most of the Brough names found in them are nearly all in my family tree. The father of Robert was a tailor & it looks like Robert followed in his footsteps...I cannot thank you both enough for putting me on the trail of Robert Brough...THANK YOU...
            Margaret.

Comment

this is way off topic, but have you got any 'family myths' about your brough's? i have a 'broff' family in fort marlborough, sumatra, in the mid 18th century, and we have a myth handed down that the brough family had 2 sons in northumberland, who quarrelled with their father over their inheritance, and took off for lincolnshire. we assume our broff family must descend from the ones in the myth, but we're stuck in sumatra, and the myth gives no names!

i believe the spelling 'brough' is pronounced 'bruff', though would think it 'broff'. one ancestor had 'broff' as a middle name, and the vicar spelled 'brough' for years, until the last child was born, and then it was spelled 'broff', and subsequently corrected on all previous entries. must have something special with the way they spelled it i suppose.

sorry for not being able to help.

Comment

Hello Kyle,
                I sympathise with trying to find any family called Brough...indeed some baptisms use the spelling Bruff in Birmingham churches...I rather like your myths but sadly they are probably not related to my Birmingham Brough's at all....

Regards,
                Margaret.

Comment

hi margaret,

i think, but can't prove, that the myth relates to the spread of the brough surname through england. so this could be a medieval tale haha. there are certainly a lot of brough's in lincolnshire.

Comment

Working...
                  X