A Scottish Search request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scottish Search request

Hi guys, is it possible that anyone can do a Scottish search for me please?

I really need to find out who Hugh Lennon married or when he died.

He is the son of Edward Lennon & Cecilia Pray/O'Pray
    He was born on 16th Dec 1874 in Stevenston, Ayrshire.

I have him as a Military man having joined up to fight in the Boer War on the 2nd Oct 1894 at Glasgow before continuing with the 1st World War.

His siblings were Rosanna (Went off to America) Edward, John, Patrick & Matthew.

Thank you to whoever takes up the challenge.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

When do you think the marriage could have taken place? Is anything shown on his military records about a wife?

Margaret

Comment

Do you know if he returned to Scotland after he left the army?

Margaret

Comment

There's nothing about a wife in his Army records and he had been injured but there's no mention of a death, I also haven't found him in CWGC either. The link below gives a better understanding of his War Records, the link is from my Weebly site, I just figured you'd wish to focus on Hugh alone.

Comment

Without using credits and using your info their is a Hugh LENNON b 1874 +/- 2 years who died in Ayrshire in 1943.
          Perhaps worth a check.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Will PM you Sarah.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh thank you Chrissie, this man has been bugging me for such a long time and I did try the free search but I wasn't getting anything up, although now that I think of it I may have been doing an exact search which could be why.

Comment

You're welcome The marriage was in 1900 in Dalry (Ayr). Now looking for them in 1901 census.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  You're welcome The marriage was in 1900 in Dalry (Ayr). Now looking for them in 1901 census.
                  I don't think that can be him as he was in the military from 1894 and is shown as single right up to his discharge - his brother is given as next of kin and he lived in Lanarkshire.

Margaret

Comment

Sarah would need to answer that properly Margaret. From what she has told me of his parents names etc though, the death cert fit him and mentioned his widow's name. There is a marriage that fits the couple in 1900. So it's my guess that it's possibly the military records that aren't him (Sarah's), rather than the death cert.

Comment

Margaret I have already told Chrissie that I doubt the Military records are him, unless he lied about being married for some reason.

There is a another Hugh that did die.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                        Margaret I have already told Chrissie that I doubt the Military records are him, unless he lied about being married for some reason.

There is a another Hugh that did die.
                        http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...HUGH%20CHARLES
                        That would fit the one in the military records as he was posted to India.

Margaret

Comment

The CWGC record includes the following information (correct?):

"Son of William Lennon, of 37, Croydon Rd., Elmer's End, Beckenham, Kent; husband of Justina S. Lennon, of 2, Station Rd., South Cerney, Glos."

Does this match the found marriage record? Father is different than post #1....?

Comment

Just looked on Scotlandspeople - not that marriage. However, Q1 1910 Hugh Charles LENNON married Justina Sophia GRIFFITHS at Battle (Sussex).

lennon2011 - can you confirm whether this is your Hugh or not?

[You'll find more on this Lennon at http://www.wwwmp.co.uk/carmarthenshi...morial-h-to-o/ - seems not to be your man though]
                            Last edited by Bertie; 30-03-14, 12:34.

Comment

I should let Lennon tell you properly, but the death cert I looked at (which Herky found) matched the details she gave in post #1 for father and mother exactly.

Comment

For this to make sense I'll tell a story.

If my emails are correct then a year ago I found with the help of a kind person, the record's of Hugh Lennon for the Army. I could understand the basics of his name, age, description and his next of kin but nothing else so I had a different acquaintance of mine help me to transcribe them as War is his speciality. Whilst Hugh's records were being transcribed I found those of what I believed to be his brother John as Hugh had listed their other brother Patrick as next of kin.

The records for Hugh never mentioned Died in Action or Missing in Action, neither could I find a marriage for my Hugh or a death which led me to believe that those records were truly my person. Plus the records didn't have a middle name in them and they go further than the death year of Hugh Charles.

The reason that I thought it may not have been my Hugh is because of the Marriage that Chrissie very kindly found for me, it happened in 1900 and according to the 1911 Census that I have for Hugh it says single. Hugh is in London at this time for a Military purpose and there's a ton of other men on the list as well.

Comment

Oops :o I found Hugh & his siblings on FamilySearch last year but for some reason I have the birth year of my Hugh as 1874 when it's 1872...

Comment

So this is them in 1881? - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1

Comment

If it mentions those children, parents & Brother of Edward then yes it is Chrissie.

crop.jpg

Comment

Yes, spot on

Comment

Working...
                                        X