Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what the real name is?

Peddigree.jpg

The Bride is illiterate so no idea how her name spells. The Curate or Cleric writes what he thinks he hears and enters
    'Peddigree'...............I thought it could be Peddigrew or Pettigrew but does show how names are spelt in so many ways.
    Please don't research on my behalf, I'm just making a point.

"Pettigrew" spoken by someone from Northern Ireland could very easily sound like "Peddigree" to a more English ear! The vowel "U" ends up with a great deal of "ee" in its pronunciation and the "tt" could easily sound like a soft "d".

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-03-14, 22:05.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Some times I have wondered how I ever found any of my family with all their different dialects and accents. I also wonder how a young man born in London would have got on wooing his sweetheart from deepest Somerset after they migrated to the NSW Hunter Valley.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

the only time name variants are annoying is when they are both legitimate names, like morton's cropping up as martin's now and then. makes it harder to know if it's correct.

i also find it annoying when you find a variant that the search engine your using (FMP, ancestry) doesn't recognise it as a variant......or it's one you'd never think of yourself (dove mistaken as dore).

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          the only time name variants are annoying is when they are both legitimate names, like morton's cropping up as martin's now and then. makes it harder to know if it's correct.

i also find it annoying when you find a variant that the search engine your using (FMP, ancestry) doesn't recognise it as a variant......or it's one you'd never think of yourself (dove mistaken as dore).
          I suppose the trick with these is to use the * wildcard for each letter in turn if nothing is coming up on your search results.

Margaret

Comment

i suppose so margaret. freebmd sometimes doesn't tolerate that! server overload is a frequent issue they give me. though i do try to get all variants on one search, saves me time having to go through them all, and forgetting one or two.

Comment

Working...
            X