No announcement yet.

Wonder what happened here then ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot / imbecile / moron /lunatic /moral defective / feeble minded were all words to describe different levels of impairment in common and acceptable usage at the time. They all had specific definitions as medical terms.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I think "imbecile" was a description of someone mentally retarded to some degree, i.e. someone with learning difficulties, mentally challenged, "a bit slow" intellectually.

"Idiot" was someone unable to make any decisions about themselves, their conduct or their welfare; I think another word used was "lunatic."

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Is there anything genetic that would cause mental retardation or whatever? I can't think of anything off-hand but to have 3 in the same family ..... can't just be coincidence, surely?

Comment

Perhaps a genetic condition that led to intellectual impairment or deterioration? Have you found them in earlier censuses?
          Last edited by Lindsay; 27-03-14, 16:16.

Comment

Do follow them through the census - my "imbecile" suddenly morphs into "grocery assistant"!

OC

Comment

Perhaps mine will do the same!

No disability noted on previous census. On following one, one of the children is "crippled from birth", another is in an asylum and the third one is at home with no disability mentioned.

Comment

Could be this one?
                Find out about phenylketonuria (PKU), a rare genetic condition that's present from birth (congenital), where the body is unable to break down phenylalanine.

It's usually avoided by the "heel test" - where a tiny bit of blodd is taken from a baby's heel and tested for a number of conditions. It was introduced after WW2, I think, ... rare enough, at first, for a nursing home not to have implemented it routinely in the mid-1950s, though it would have been done in a hospital.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here is another problem for which people may not have understood the cause-effect relationship: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-t...ome-%28fas%29/

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine, that might very well explain it. And as it's a condition that "develops" it might explain why it wasn't mentioned on previous census(es) too. This is one lot of a huge extended family - it will be interesting to see if any similar disabilities crop up in any of the rest. But still, 3 in one family, talk about unlucky!

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
                      Thanks for that Christine, that might very well explain it. And as it's a condition that "develops" it might explain why it wasn't mentioned on previous census(es) too. This is one lot of a huge extended family - it will be interesting to see if any similar disabilities crop up in any of the rest. But still, 3 in one family, talk about unlucky!
                      It must have been pretty devastating. And on a non-emotional, and purely pragmatic, level it must have presented big economic challenges to have those extra mouths to feed and little prospect of them ever supporting themselves.

Christine

Comment

if you were so inclined, the death certs may reveal the issue. i have an ancestor mentioned in one census as imbecile. her cause of death (1881) was helpfully listed as 'disease of the brain'......i have yet to get her sibling's records to see if they had anything like that, but we know 2 of her daughters spent some time in mental hospitals, one dying there in 1920, and the other we are not sure is correct.

Comment

Be careful about assumptions on the one in an asylum. I found one of mine in an asylum in Chelsea in 1891 and was quite perturbed as he was only 13 and clearly living away from the family home, which was on the other side of London. So, for many years I just dismissed him, until one day about 5 years ago, I decided to take a closer look at the asylum and then discovered that he was at the Royal Military Asylum. The word Asylum in this case was another word for school and not for the sort of people we may think would be in an asylum. I then found more about his fascinating history, so worth looking into what sort of asylum!

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 28-03-14, 10:23.

Comment

Thanks Janet - in this case this is definitely an "asylum" asylum! Funnily enough though, her brother is in a military hospital - as a soldier, so I'm assuming this is due to accident or illness rather than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
                              Thanks Janet - in this case this is definitely an "asylum" asylum! Funnily enough though, her brother is in a military hospital - as a soldier, so I'm assuming this is due to accident or illness rather than anything else.

Hm I would take a closer look at that if I were you. Yes, he could have been there due to illness if he was a soldier, but depending on age, say 12+ he might have been working as a soldier at the military hospital or the military hospital might actually be a school and he might be a rseident at the school. He could also have been working as some sort of orderly at the Military Hospital. The Greenwich Naval College actually started life as Greenwich Hospital and one of mine went to the Hospital when it was a school where he trained for the navy. Also, it was not just the boys that went to a Military Asylum but also the girls, and both sexes were educated at the same military asylums, usually the sons and daughters of close family members who had been in the army.

If you know the name of the Military Hospital, have you tried to find out where it is and waht it was athe time of your interest?

lJanet
                              Last edited by Janet; 28-03-14, 12:05.

Comment

Not forgetting that people were deemed to have mental problems when they may have had only physical ones which prevented them from communicating easily - or simply did something that other people thought was too unconventional.

Christine

Comment

*sigh* Next census, all three are "imbeciles" and back home alone with their 70 year old widowed father. It doesn't bear thinking about!
                                  Anyway, he dies soon afterwards and now (1901), two are in (different) asylums (but are now "lunatics") and one is still an imbecile in the workhouse. I'm quite sad that they were split up.
                                  Last edited by bev&kev; 28-03-14, 13:24.

Comment

Here are some not so well known causes to mental retardation: Pollution (coal), lack of sun - D vitamin (English paralysis) as we called it in Sweden. Comes from the fact that children working in the coalmine, lack of healty food, Alcohol as Christine mention, but there are more...a lot more. And you have to take in consideration in what paradigm ruled the social view at that time.
                                    We have to bring in the holistic view in that. You could be accused of being mental retarded just by the fact you had reed hair.
                                    Diana
                                    (mother of child with disability, no genetic...just the human factor).

Comment

Working...
                                    X