Replacement WWI medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement WWI medals

Is it possible for a relative to replace the lost medals of a soldier? Is it expensive.

In her grief at the death of her husband in the Home Guard in 1942 my grandmother threw all his medals away saying she wanted her husband and not medals! They went in the dustbin and probably exist in a landfill site in Wiltshire.

I have a picture of the ribbons so I know which medals would need to be replaced. I would put the ribbons on if I could remember how to do that!

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 26-03-14, 10:03.

His medal index card (at Kew or via Ancestry) will confirm which exact medals he was awarded, but you can't get official replacements for WW1 medals from the MoD ( https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office )

There are quite a few companies who can supply replica replacements of the medals and/or ribbons e.g. www.awardmedals.com or www.hillmilitarymedals.co.uk (I haven't used either of them personally, so can't make a recommendation, but there are many others if you google for medal suppliers).
    Last edited by AntonyM; 26-03-14, 11:24.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Many thanks Antony.

Sue

Comment

Working...
      X