Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going bonkers??

Long time since I have ordered a birth certificate

Quite a few red asterisks where I MUST put something but I don't know, that's why I want the certificate. One is date of birth????

Certificate I want is 1987 and I have always ordered much older ones that that does that make any difference?

Help needed please

Linda

Yes its because its a more recent birth that they are asking for these details, supposedly to prevent identity theft. You may find the local registrar would be less insistent on this than the GRO?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You're not going bonkers, you need the details for births (and deaths) within the past 50 years:

Q3. What information do I need to apply online?To get the fastest response, you should provide the GRO index reference number for the certificate that you are interested in, but it isn’t essential. You will be prompted to supply further details for more recent births and deaths (within the last 50 years) as you complete the online application form. If you are unable to complete the mandatory fields, then you will not be able to apply online.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...ngCertificates
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh no what a shame. My friend and I have been trying to find her long lost brother and have found, we are pretty certain, his birth certificate..... and now it seems she can't get it

Linda

Comment

The restriction applies to births within the last 50yrs, and also deaths of children under 16 in the same period. If you can't supply the extra information they ask for, then you can't apply online, but you can still try to order by phone. You need to call GRO and satisfy them that you have a genuine requirement for the certificate.

Local registrar's offices should ask the same questions.

Professional genealogists may be exempted from the ordering restrictions by membership of certain professional bodies..... they can obtain it for you.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 25-03-14, 13:48.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you I'll tell my friend...and we were sooo excited :(

Linda

Comment

Might there have been an announcement of the birth in a local paper?

Is he on Facebook, perhaps? - not that I'm suggesting direct contact, but it might give you a lead.

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks I'll have a try

Linda

Comment

Try the local registrar, who should indeed ask the same questions but often will weigh up your intention and find it harmless!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Try the local registrar, who should indeed ask the same questions but often will weigh up your intention and find it harmless!

OC
                    Good advice ... although I have always found GRO very helpful , you still get a better (and quicker) service from most local registrars offices although it costs a few pence more.
                    Last edited by AntonyM; 25-03-14, 20:23.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you for the advice

Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X