Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with deciphering part of a will any volunteers please

Hi

As some of you know I have problems with concentration etc and I am having problems deciphering part of a will I am trying to transcribe. Unfortunately it is the part that relates to my ancestor.

She is a beneficiary of an annual payment, but I cannot quite make out the context related to provision in case of remarriage. This is a paragraph of about 12 lines.

The will was written in 1807 and is relatively clear. If anyone would be willing to help I can send a copy of the relevant page and the part I am interested in is approx. half way to 2/3 way down.

Many thanks.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Image cropped to relevant part

Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Without actually transcribing all the words, I believe this was quite a common inclusion in Wills to try and prevent any future husband marrying the widow for her money. In those days a woman's property belonged (as she did) to her husband.
      I would be interested to know if such clauses in wills did actually mean that the married woman could REALLY hold on to the money?
      Anne

Comment

Half way down I started so here is what I can see

Edna

Sufficient discharge from time to time to the said trustees
        for the time being for all monies that so shall .. by ....under this my
        will paid to the said sir arix Cromp and subject to law and
        subject to new ?ormity of aforsaid annuity or yearly sum of ..... hundreds
        go ..... to my said dear wife for her life and to the payment of my debts, lawyers and funeral expenses upon first that they my said trustees and my surviver of .... ... Executors and administrators and ..... stand pop.ford
        at my said sur... estate and effects so = = =
        bequeathed to them and where shall arise and arise and could so .... .... as trustees as aforesaid upon trust for all and every new Child and Children of my said testator Robert Thomas Cromp living at the time of my decease? ior born in our time afterwards equally to be

Comment

Thank you both... sorry I took the dogs to the beach.

Anne that was the gist I got but wasn't sure, like you re the legality of this, so wondered if she remarried she would lose it under whatever 'something something possibly Inquiry' but equally this could be the legislation that allowed her to keep her money in her name.

Thank you too Edna, in an earlier piece it is clearly £300. I had cropped the page to the piece I was unsure of. This is page 5 or 6 of the will and I am amazed how many times bequests are repeated to cover all eventualities.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
          X