I hate the new FMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the new FMP

Somebody has found a lady on FMP in 1901 for me but I cannot find her the new system stinks, am getting depressed now what with Ancestry changes and now this I may be letting my memberships drop:(

I've not been moved over yet, so can't judge. Have you seen the Help Guides that they are bringing out? Worth keeping an eye on our own Genealogy News section as this appeared there this morning:

and this one appeared on the 21st:

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

How do you get to the 'new' FMP? I have had an account with them for years, just using PAYG occasionally.

I now have a subscription but it doesn't look any different to the way it always has.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
        How do you get to the 'new' FMP? I have had an account with them for years, just using PAYG occasionally.

I now have a subscription but it doesn't look any different to the way it always has.
        They sent me an email with a link to the new site and I had a quick peek but am still on the old one when I click on the link in my favourites.
        Margaret

Comment

Ah, that explains it. As I didn't have a subscription I just deleted most emails from FMP unless something happened to catch my eye.

Oh well, guess I will just have to wait until they make the new site compulsory.
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

oh so you can still the old site Margaret ? I clicked on my favourites and got the new site, thanks Caroline will have a look

Comment

I haven't been offered the new search yet. :(
              Am hoping it will more easily accept place of birth as I find it a waste of time putting it in at the moment. Then you need to open all the results just to find if its the right one. Even with the new search Ancestry gives you that information to help choose which one to open.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                oh so you can still the old site Margaret ? I clicked on my favourites and got the new site, thanks Caroline will have a look
                Well here's the new one http://new.findmypast.co.uk/articles...rd-collections and here's the old one http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/all-records

Margaret

Comment

thanks Margaret that worked

Comment

I haven't been transferred yet - at present the new site won't accept my details as correct.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for that link Margaret, and I hate to be contradictory but, WOW, the new search is MUCH better!

I have just spent most of today looking for someone with a common name and only a rough idea of DOB in the 1841 census, and I had 12 pages of results to wade through. Just done exactly the same search on the new one, and bingo; only 3 results and my man was the 2nd one!

I might just stay with FMP after all!

EDIT: just tried to open the result and it asks me to log in and I get taken to the old site :(
                      Last edited by PeteW1959; 24-03-14, 14:14.
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

maybe I will get used to it eventually ,did you manage to find the record on the old search too Pete?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                          Thanks for that link Margaret, and I hate to be contradictory but, WOW, the new search is MUCH better!

I have just spent most of today looking for someone with a common name and only a rough idea of DOB in the 1841 census, and I had 12 pages of results to wade through. Just done exactly the same search on the new one, and bingo; only 3 results and my man was the 2nd one!

I might just stay with FMP after all!

EDIT: just tried to open the result and it asks me to log in and I get taken to the old site :(
                          Pete, they are apparently moving us over in stages so until its your turn to be moved you won't be able to log in to the new site. Bad luck when you have found something useful but at least, unlike some other sites, if they are taking the change slowly things are a bit less likely to crash.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Val, I gave up after 4 pages of clicking on every single result to see if it was my man; there were just too many results, which is why I gave up on Ancestry.

I have found with FMP if you are too precise in your search terms it doesn't find anything, and if you reduce the number of search terms you get way too many to be useful.
                            Devine in Ireland

Comment

they transferred me over to the new one, but when i logged in, it was the same site. so either it didn't work, or there isn't much difference.

Comment

there is a lot of difference Kyle just hope I get used to it.

Comment

Were you sent an email Kyle, with hyperlink? If so you may need to use the hyperlink to see the new search, I did. I'm same as margaretmarch who said
                                  They sent me an email with a link to the new site and I had a quick peek but am still on the old one when I click on the link in my favourites.
                                  Margaret
                                  Last edited by Guest; 25-03-14, 11:47.

Comment

changed my mind its wonderful just put a surname and year of birth 1890 and first hit was it

Comment

yes i clicked it through with the email link. it asked me to sign in. i took a look around, but didn't search for anything at the time. will look into it.

Comment

The stupid site won't let me in at all - tells me my e-mail or password is wrong.
                                        I've had my invite, couldn't log in, so logged out of the "old" site and now neither will accept my details.:(

I'm absolutely fed up with them. No response to my e-mail of earlier this morning and nothing will get done over the weekend. I am soooooooo frustrated by it all.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X