Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Naturalization Record - and Passports

Sorry, I looked in the Reference Guides section, but didn't spot an answer:

What would be in a naturalization record in 1902?

Also -
    Wouldn't a UK citizen traveling around 1915 need a passport? Are there any records for them online? Looking for Albert Marcus, born 1893, Poplar. We know he was in the US in 1917, don't know if he returned to the UK.

Thanks
    Sarah

Not sure if there is anything helpful in the National Archive guides for Naturalisation ..
    Elaine

Comment

Passports weren't compulsory, they were seen as a bit of a privilege not a necessity.

Quite few people said they were naturalised or were a British Citizen without actually going through the formalities and no one checked that until the war.

OC

Comment

The last Naturalisation file I read at Kew was a huge source of information. It was for a German who came to the UK in about 1904, but who applied to become a citizen 25 years later. It had all his family details (place of birth, parents etc.), a full report detailing when he came to the UK, and dates (and reasons) of trips he made back to Germany, all the places he had lived in the UK, what jobs he had, his marriage and childrens details, even how much money he had in the bank. It also had police reports on him, and his referees, which also had very useful stuff in them ( one of the men who was a referee, and his brother in law, turned out to have been a consciencous objector in WW1, which the Special Branch Inspector who wrote the report wasn't very happy about).

Definitely worth looking at if you know TNA have the file.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I've looked at lots of Naturalisation files at Kew and would agree with what Anthony says about what they contain. If there's a file at Kew it should appear in the Catalogue.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Passports weren't compulsory, they were seen as a bit of a privilege not a necessity.

Quite few people said they were naturalised or were a British Citizen without actually going through the formalities and no one checked that until the war.

OC
            Charles MARCUS, born 1865, lived in Poplar, wife Camille, had children born in the UK beginning 1893 (and perhaps earlier).

* in the 1911, the enumerator wrote on his line "Naturalized Feb 1902"
            -> I'm hoping that means he really did it?

* we're having problems finding what became of son, Albert MARCUS, b. 6 Mar 1893. He's executor in his father's probate in 1925, admon to his mother's in 1925. He was with cousins in the US in ~1917 (registered for the US draft). I haven't found a death cert for him.
            -> can anyone see something for him?

* His parents, Charles and Camille, married in London. We've ordered the marriage cert. I suspect they married in a synagogue - if not, then in a registrar's office. If it is a synagogue, would there be surviving records from the synagogue?

Thanks!
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
              I've looked at lots of Naturalisation files at Kew and would agree with what Anthony says about what they contain. If there's a file at Kew it should appear in the Catalogue.
              Oh, I get it - I should search the catalog for the name! I just don't think of searching for individuals in a big institutional catalog. Off to try it out

Comment

there is a Death for a Albert Marcus aged 82 born 3 Mar 1893, Dec 1975 Southend on Sea Essex 9 2917

Comment

I really should look for the naturalisation of my g-g-grandmother, who came to England from the Baden area of Germany. Her bap is in the IGI, along with her siblings.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OK, found a 1913 record for him at Kew - does that jive with the 1902 date in the census? Would the file have been closed at a later date?

Additional-
                    this is the 1902 record:

Would they be the same person? Would Charles need to update records 11 years later?
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 20-03-14, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      there is a Death for a Albert Marcus aged 82 born 3 Mar 1893, Dec 1975 Southend on Sea Essex 9 2917
                      Thanks Val - I think that's him

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Doesn't FMP have records of UK passports?

Comment

My dads naturalization is in the London Gazette in the 1960s, not sure how far back they go

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen Proctor View Post
                            My dads naturalization is in the London Gazette in the 1960s, not sure how far back they go
                            Is that just a note in the paper, saying that he had naturalized? Or was there detail?

What about London obits in 1924?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Not sure if there is anything helpful in the National Archive guides for Naturalisation ..
                              http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/atoz/n.htm#
                              Thanks, Elaine. I'm looking! The passport info implies that I should find an online index for the period in question (~1917), but the page actually stops at 1902!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                Is that just a note in the paper, saying that he had naturalized? Or was there detail?
                                Sorry, just the note

Comment

Thanks, again, Ellen

Comment

Re: the synagogue - yes, if you are lucky, records will survive. On another thread on this forum, we managed to find synagogue records of a marriage. It was in Hebrew (but we have a member on here who can read Hebrew) and it was very informative, giving the name of the groom's oldest brother, which is traditional in Jewish wedding records. Be aware though, that Jewish surnames and first names can change and your man may very well have a name you do not recognise.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                      [B]
                                      * we're having problems finding what became of son, Albert MARCUS, b. 6 Mar 1893. He's executor in his father's probate in 1925, admon to his mother's in 1925. He was with cousins in the US in ~1917 (registered for the US draft).
                                      -> can anyone see something for him?

Sarah
                                      Thanks, OC. I've been worried about name changes - also that there may be brothers of Charles in the same area, using the same family names. I haven't seen evidence of that. The current theory is that two sisters (and may be more sibs?) went to the US.

I'm still hoping to find out what happened to Albert. Val found the DC, but did he marry? Does anyone have an index of Jewish marriages in London & Essex? There are several likely ones, but nothing I can prove - unless I order the certs, of course

Comment

all my Hebrew Marriages whether Synagogue or not are on the normal GRO records, but you can have a look here you might get lucky and find if a marriage existed

Comment

Working...
                                        X