• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question's about Twitter - Help please

#1 Report Post Old 15-03-2014, 23:10
    Forum Member Join Date: Feb 2007

Default Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I hope that this thread is in the correct section.

I do not understand Twitter and wonder if someone will kindly explain in simple jargon the pro and cons.
    1). I do not wish at this stage to post any comments.

2). I wish to read remarks that are made on a particular subject i.e. I find the most irritating thing is both BBC and ITV give you a very brief headline and then tell you to read the detail on Facebook (that I never want to know about) or on Twitter.

3.) Do I have to log into each station or company separately where I can read the latest remarks?

4). If I do have to log into these do I get an option whether to be a full member (where one can contribute) or can I just read the content?

5). Is Twitter a secure site?

Sorry this is a little on the long side I am certain that you will be able to answer this in a few words. Thank you.
    Having posted this jargon I have just looked back at the top of my thread and noted a comment how could that get there?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

You can follow a conversation by going to any twitter account (e.g. the bbc here https://twitter.com/BBC ) and then entering in the search box the relevant hash tag for the subject you want to follow ... something like #genealogy.

You don't have to be a member to read, but you do to post/comment.

Secure ? - your posts, if you make any, will be available for all to see (usually), but that's the point. What is your concern about ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Can someone please explain what hast tag means i've often wondered but have no idea thank you in advance.

Granabell.

Comment

a hashtag is a way that posts on twitter are linked by topic
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you for your reply it is very helpful.

I do not wish to be identified on twitter as I am worried about receiving unwanted spam. I have only put into Google a smaller version of the question that you have answered. It showed me the box with sign up now! I did not click anything just went back to my home page and forgot about it until I logged into this site and as you will see I have a got comment at the top of this page with a number one alongside.
          But I am now receiving adverts from just about everywhere. This page is reduce in size so I cannot read the content easily and on the side column the advert has a small box with a T in it and advert Related Searches - Free Genealogy Sites and a list of them. No way can I close this column even though I have disabled it.

I have run a full scan and cannot find a bug so feel somewhat worried.
          Last edited by Margaret N; 19-03-14, 23:52.
          Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I see that you have also asked this question on another site and then you copied it over here, along with the heading from that thread:

I use Twitter several times a day - I rarely if ever post anything since I have very few followers!! I never get any sort of spam from Twitter. Youcan follow as many or as few people as you wish and get rid of the ones you don't want.

I always follow the BBC tweets to the source i.e. the BBC website which is where the links take me. I find Twitter is very useful for what it is intended for - snippets, trails to the actual newspaper site, traffic and local news, information sites. You need to click on expand under the tweet to get to where you are being pointed.

I follow a wide variety of things, some for fun, some for news. E.g. I follow an ex-pupil, James Reynolds BBC correspondent, and he has been tweeting regularly from the Ukraine lately. I follow several genealogical tweeters/websites and also a couple of regular tweeters that I "met" on here too and sometimes re-tweet things which I think they may find interesting.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I left this thread, went to Twitter and followed a link posted by my local paper to their site ... and found my own face looking at me.

L'hampton Gazette@LhamptonGazette 6m
              #Littlehampton news Plan to build 250 news homes in Yapton is rejected http://bit.ly/1g3wX83
              Expand
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline,

Many thanks and I think I would like to use the way that you have kindly explained to me. I get so fed up with the BBC telling me that local traffic updates are on Twitter.
                I wonder if you have any ideas why I cannot increase the size of this home page as I seem to have a problem like I described above. I am just going to run another full scan that will take hours. I looked at Amazon for the first time ever to view the family history program selection. I clicked on Heritage to see detail and it has arrived in a side column on this site.
                Not long before take my laptop to the 'tip'.

Best wishes,
                Last edited by Margaret N; 20-03-14, 16:34.
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X