William Everett 1860 - 1925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Everett 1860 - 1925

This William is my Great Grandfather and I am trying to confirm the maiden name of his mother, Sarah, by obtaining his Birth Certificate.

So far I have been unable to find him on any Birth Index, but have found two Baptism records, so am wondering when the registration of a child' birth became compulsory, as opposed to the either/or of registering the birth or having the child baptised, and therefore there may not, in fact, be a Birth Certificate!!

This is what I have so far:

Birth date: 1 Feb 1860. Baptism: 6 May 1860. Parish: Liverpool St. Peter. Father: William. Mother: Sarah.

The same information is on both the records from 'Liverpool, England, Baptisms 1813 - 1906' and the 'England, Select Births and Christenings 1538 - 1906', but each has a different reference. The former having 283Pet/2/48 and the latter having FHL Film Number 93889.

How do I access these references please, and what other information would I find there?

Many thanks.

Angela

Is this what you are looking for Angela?
    Baptism: 6 May 1860 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    William Everett - [Child] of William Everett & Sarah
    Born: 1 Feb 1860
    Abode: Toxteth Park
    Baptised by: W. R. Duncan, Curate
    Register: Baptisms 1859 - 1860, Page 340, Entry 2715
    Source: LDS Film 1656561
    Each course will hold it's own reference number like a catalogue number. Registration of BMD became compulsory in 1837 so anything before then is down to finding it in parish records.
    Vonny

Comment

Sorry, forgot to give you the link for the above. http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Vonny

Comment

this is from FREEBMD

Marriages Mar 1840
        EVERETT William Liverpool
        20 247

OWENS Sarah Mary Liverpool
        20 247

The number represent the page and volume which you would need to quote if you ordered a certificate from the General Register Office.
        Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
          this is from FREEBMD

Marriages Mar 1840
          EVERETT William Liverpool
          20 247

OWENS Sarah Mary Liverpool
          20 247

The number represent the page and volume which you would need to quote if you ordered a certificate from the General Register Office.
          Vonny
          Not sure about that marriage, maybe too early.

There is an 1861 census showing a William Everett born 1860 with parents William and Sarah. Address Toxteth Park - William's occation Rigger & Mariner. Sarah's age is shown as 29 so an 1840 marriage seems too early.

(apologies - I originally stated it was the 1881 census - it was actually the 1861 census I was looking at! - now corrected)

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
          Elaine

Comment

Deleted, 'cos Elaine is amending her earlier post ...
            Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 17-03-14, 19:56.
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Yes, I have had a look Elaine, Sarah was 10 years younger, so it was much too early.
              Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                Maybe there are two different Sarahs.

If in 1881 Sarah is 29, then in 1860 when William was born she'd have been 9.

So maybe the mother of William is Sarah Owens, but the 29yo is a different person. Perhaps?

STG
                Sorry - my error. It was the 1861 census I was looking at, not 1881. In 1861 William was aged 1 and mother Sarah 29.
                I'll amend my previous post so as not to confuse further!!
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your quick response Vonny. I hadn't found that Baptism record, and will make a note of the link you gave so that I can check up on other Everetts, most of whom were in the Toxteth, West Derby, Walton 0n the Hill and Bootle areas of Liverpool. I myself was born in Waterloo and registered in Sefton.

So, I was right in thinking that the year for compulsory Registration of BMD was earlier than this William's birth - I have at least 5 generations of Wiliam Everetts going back to the 1780s - so thank you for confirming that for me! Now it is the mystery of the missing Birth Certificate I need to solve, as I cannot find his birth registered anywhere, to get the vol. and page numbers so that I can order it from the GRO. Would the GRO be able to find a Certificate if I gave them just his date and place of birth, apart from his name, of course!?

You see, I want to confirm his Mother's maiden name, to see if I do indeed have the correct 'Sarah', and therefore the right 'William, Snr.', in my Tree - or not!

Thanks for your help.

Angela

Comment

Have you eliminated this one ..

William Robert Charles Everitt
                    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1860
                    District: West Derby
                    Volume: 8b
                    Page: 279
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

I do have all the relevant census returns for William and Sarah, but of course her maiden name is never given! Yes, William was a Rigger/Mariner. His father, William, and several other Everetts before him, was a Ropemaker, a trade to which this William was apprenticed before he went on to actually rigging the sails, and going to sea to maintain the rigging.

Yes the date of the marriage between William Everett and Sarah Mary Owens would be too early, I think.

Thanks for all your help.

Angela

Comment

On the 1861 census Sarah is housekeeper. You wouldn't normally describe a wife as a housekeeper or did that happen? It's the first time I have come across that. She is listed as his wife but I can't find a marriage later to take her age into account.

Vonny

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

I do have all the census returns for William and Sarah, but of course her maiden name is not given. Yes, William followed in his father's footsteps as a Ropemaker, (1841 census) before going on to become a Rigger/Mariner.

I agree the marriage with a Sarah Mary Owens is too early.

I'll have a look at the William R C Everitt which you found, was that on FreeBMD, too?

Many thanks.

Angela

Comment

Originally posted by Anglebar15 View Post

I'll have a look at the William R C Everitt which you found, was that on FreeBMD, too?
                            I found it on Ancestry, but it should be on FreeBMD as well.
                            Elaine

Comment

The 1861 census shows the eldest child to be aged 10.

There is a marriage in 1850 for a William Everet
                              Date - Jul-Aug-Sep 1850
                              District - Liverpool
                              Volume Number: 20
                              Page Number: 293

The names listed on the transcription are:
                              Robert Cumming
                              Robert Cummings
                              William Everet
                              Thomas Hays
                              Diana Jones
                              Hannah Oliver
                              Sarah Reed ???
                              Ann Reid
                              James Taylor
                              Zachariah West

Can we pair William off with Sarah Reed?
                              Elaine

Comment

Vonny,

Sarah's 'Occupation' is given as Housekeeper in the 1861 Census, but if you look down the page, all the other wives have that against their names, too.

You may have noticed that William's birthplace is given as 'Scotter, Scotland'. This has caused much confusion, but with a lot of ferreting around, I discovered that on some early census returns for Liverpool, one of the Parish/Parliamentary/Borough divisions has been written as 'Scotland'. Those of you who are familiar with Liverpool, will know Scotland Road which is a main road leading out of Liverpool, through Bootle and up to Seaforth and Litherland. this must have, at some time in the mid 1800s, been referred to as a 'district' of Liverpool. Has anyone out there come across this, and can enlighten me as to whether I am on the right tracks?

Thanks Elaine, I mostly use Ancestry, so will have a look there.

Angela

Comment

You have beaten me to it! I was just going to say I went through every wife and yes they are all described as housekeeper, must have been a very efficient enumerator!

Vonny

Comment

Thanks for finding the Marriage info, Elaine, which I do have, for that is indeed the Sarah Reed, I have on my tree. But I would still like to confirm her name as Reed by sending for William's Birth Certificate, if only I could find the record and get the volume and page numbers!

Would the GRO be able to find the Birth Cert. If I just gave them his name, date/place of birth?

Many thanks.

Angela

Comment

Trying to pair them off by matching up names on the 1851 census ..

Possibles:
                                      Zachariah West married Hannah Oliver

Robert Cummings married Ann Reid

.. which leaves us with

Robert Cumming(s)
                                      William Everet
                                      Thomas Hays
                                      Diana Jones
                                      Sarah Reed
                                      James Taylor

Angela - have you found William Everett and wife Sarah in the 1851 census ??
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Anglebar15 View Post

Would the GRO be able to find the Birth Cert. If I just gave them his name, date/place of birth?
                                        If the birth has been registered, then yes they should be able to provide the certificate.

It might be better to contact the local Records Office to see if they can provide the certificate. They are generally more helpful than the GRO and you have quite a few checking points you can give them, e.g. William's date of birth (which you have from the baptism entry) / parent's names / father's occupation etc.,
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X