Am I on the right track? Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I on the right track? Advice please

Sorry i took a little break as i found things emotionally draining so i am back trying to see if i am on the right track with George Marshall. I may waffle a little as i find it so incredibly hard to type whats in my mind and on my papers.

On the marriage certificate between Edith Swinn and George Marshall it states he is 26 yrs old so i have an estimated DOB of 1887.
    I know George father is a WIlliam Marshall and he was a labourer.

In 1887 there is a George Marshall born to William Marshall and Sarah Ann Wray in Wykeham Old Malton
    1891 He is 3 and living in wykeham Old Malton
    1901 He is 13 In Malton
    1911 He is 23 and living with the Wray family He is single and a Whitesmith
    1913 he married Edith Swinn/Wise and he is 26 living in Kilham
    1913 Daisy Alice Marshall is born in Bridlington.
    and then other children were born including my father in law in 1919.

apart from the records office is there anywhere online i can go to track the electoral register. Although i am fit and healthy i am pretty much stuck at home until my kids health improves so cant get out yet.

I've just had to read through your two previous threads to remind myself of your family history!

Do you have any certificates for this branch (the marriage cert or a BC of a child) to give the occupation of your George 1913 onwards?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A George Marshall married in Malton Reg Dist in Q3 1911 - this could be the chap you've found in 1911 census.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

George is a labourer on his marriage certificare to Edith Swinn in 1913
        Farm labourer on Richard Henrys birth certificate 1919 and a general labourer on Richard Henry Marriage certificate in 1949

George Marshall was a bachelor when he married Edith Swinn in 1913 so i dont think the one you have is the same one.

I dont know if i am just convincing myself its the right George or if i actually have it.

Comment

I don't think the one living in Malton is yours - I think that one married in 1911 and also he was a tinsmith, a metal worker.

I think you need to look for a farm labourer in 1911. I did suggest a possibility on your other thread, but can't recall the details now and wasn't sure I'd got the right one anyway!

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The reason I believed that George on the 1911 census was right was because he Is born in wykeham and he is living with Wray family which I believe may have been his mothers side of the family as her maiden name was Wray.
            Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree...I will see if I can get to the registry office tomorrow for birth certificates
            Only problem is if I am barking up the wrong tree I am not sure how I would know

Comment

as her maiden name was Wray
              Kim, how do you know his mother's maiden name was Wray?

Comment

I find it difficult to understand why a whitesmith (a proper apprenticed trade) would want to become a farm labourer! I don't think the one living with the Wrays is yours - maybe he's a cousin or other relative. What relationship does he give to head of household?

OC

Comment

If i have the right George with the fathers name as William then Sarah Ann Wray would of been his mothers name.
                  i have also found newspaper card index for George Marshall born 18 October 1887 which states Sarah Ann Wray as mother but i have no hard facts and i dont actually know where to get the hard facts from.
                  My brain is saying even if i bought the birth certificate for George Marshall born on the above date i may still have the wrong one... I have deleted all my information on George a couple of times now and keep getting the same information shouting at me.

Comment

He is stated as being a boarder.
                    Im regoing over all the census records for George Marshall with father as William Marshall and see if that helps. Im going to quit for the night and see if fresh eyes tomorrow help.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      I find it difficult to understand why a whitesmith (a proper apprenticed trade) would want to become a farm labourer! I don't think the one living with the Wrays is yours - maybe he's a cousin or other relative. What relationship does he give to head of household?

OC
                      Kim, I'm sorry if I'm deflating you, but, I agree with OC; we don't want to knock you down, we want to ensure you don't follow the wrong line.
                      Last edited by Guest; 18-03-14, 00:08.

Comment

Wondering about this one! Can't pin him down in earlier census.

1911, Park Farm "Upton" Beeford, Skipsea, Dringhoe, Upton and Brough
                        George Marshall age 23, born Fulstow, Servant on Farm,

Nearest in 1891, but age out by 5yrs. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1

1891, Fulstow, Lincs.

William Marshall 42, Agricultural Labourer.
                        Alice Marshall 25
                        William Marshall 13
                        James Marshall 10
                        George Marshall 8
                        Cristopher Marshall 7
                        Mary Marshall 5
                        Enoch Marshall 3
                        George Robinson 55

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post

Nearest in 1891, but age out by 5yrs. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1

1891, Fulstow, Lincs.

Alice Marshall 25
                          William Marshall 13
                          James Marshall 10
                          George Marshall 8
                          Cristopher Marshall 7
                          Mary Marshall 5
                          Enoch Marshall 3
                          George Robinson 55
                          Agree, Susan -

He's the one I found some time ago, post 38, on a previous thread

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread, Jay.

I do think it a good chance the one in 1911 is Kim's chap. I've had no luck tracing him back to Fulstow and wonder if the 1891 IS him, I know the birth year is out but it's odd that the 1891 George who would be approx 28 in 1911 doesn't show, or if he does I can't find him.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I'm going to go back and work through every tiny piece of information I have been given and work through it.

Hopefully the sproglets will have a full day at school so I can plod on and get somewhere.

Comment

Kim, I don't know how local you are to the area concerned, but Upton (between Beeford & Skipsea and where the George Marshall alleged to have been born in Lincolnshire was recorded in 1911) is quite close (via minor roads) to Kilham where George & Edith married, and Gransmoor & Nafferton, where they moved onto.
                                Geographically Upton, within the environs of the market town of Driffield, feels "right", whilst the other market town of Malton doesn't - it was further away and from an ag lab's employment point of view, was an entirely different "hirings" area. Also, there is the matter of changing from a trade to a labouring job. In 1901 William Marshall of Wykeham was a farmer, with one of his older sons as an apprentice grocer - I think this William could have had one of his son apprenticed to a whitesmith.

I'm NOT trying to be difficult; like everyone else, I am just wanting you to get it RIGHT. I don't think as yet you have enough evidence to say that the 1911 Wykeham/Malton whitesmith is YOUR George - the only link is a father named William Marshall, and the Wykeham man was a farmer, not a labourer.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post

1891, Fulstow, Lincs.

Alice Marshall 25
                                  William Marshall 13
                                  James Marshall 10
                                  George Marshall 8
                                  Cristopher Marshall 7
                                  Mary Marshall 5
                                  Enoch Marshall 3
                                  George Robinson 55
                                  1901 ?????? - ag lab in Fulstow, Lincs

Parents William & Alice also still in Fulstow in 1901 & 1911

Jay
                                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-03-14, 10:38.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Please dont worry about upsetting me i would rather be steered on the right path rather than the wrong one and i appreciate all the fresh eyes.

I am still very new to all this so i really do appreciate the advice and help.

According to hubbys sister in law George died in 1973 in Nafferton, which contradicts what another family member has stated.
                                    I guess this is what they both remembered and as time goes on dates and placed become confused.

We live in Scarborough so all the places you have mentioned are actually quite close by

Comment

The death of a George Marshall in Nafferton in 1973 gives a birth date of 3rd June 1882. Doing a search for George Marshall births in quarters June and September 1882 born either East Riding of Yorkshire or Lincolnshire there are three with no middle name (all in June quarter) - Sculcoates, Sleaford and Louth registration districts. Of course dates of birth on death certs are only as reliable as the person regisering the death knew. If correct though, that would have made him about 31 at marriage.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-03-14, 12:28. Reason: swap p for o
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you, Im very confused by all this as logic told me to go via the date on the marriage certificate and estimate his DOB that way.
                                        Is there a reason people lied about their DOB on marriage certificates as its not as if it would serve any purpose or did it? I can see adding numbers is good if you want to go to war and your underage but taking numbers off to me is just not logical.

Comment

Working...
                                        X