No announcement yet.

Last ditch attempt at finding marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last ditch attempt at finding marriage?

Hi guys, I have an Irish puzzler if anyone wishes to help me solve it?

Thomas Tubridy & Honora Nolan got married in 1872 in the Kilrush area of Ireland.

Their third child Joseph was born in Oct 1875:

He had 7 children to his wife, I have his death and a photo of the grave with his wife's name on it but I can't find a marriage and nor can my 2nd Cousin, neither do we know her maiden name.

According to the grave Mary died in 1934:

All we know is that they lived in Drumellihy, Clare, Ireland from Census records.

1901: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

1911: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...rhSource=70667

Thanks,
    One very frustrated person.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I've had a look without success Sarah but I wonder if we can't find it because it's a Catholic marriage? Only the civil marriages seem to be coming up. According to the 1911 census they had been married 14 years, so c1897 but no sign -sorry. Is there anywhere that you can check Catholic marriages?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've tried RootsIreland with no luck, I can't think of anything else I'm afraid.

Comment

I assume they got married in County Clare as they were both born there and so were the children.

Did Joseph go to America in 1895 by the way? There was a Joseph Tubridy of the right age going.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

"One very frustrated person"

Frustration is ......... trying to find the pre 1860 RC marriages of two sisters allegedly from Co Galway, especially when you're not sure how the surname would have been spelt! Oh, and throw in their baptisms too!!:D

Welcome to the club.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have a whole load of Irish Catholic marriages and baptisms to look up, and the only way is to go to Ireland, make an appointment with the local clergyman and look yourself. Either that or pay an Irish researcher to look for you, and there are loads who offer the service, for a fee.

Some parish registers are held at the National Archive in Dublin, but not many, and they are mostly from large towns and cities.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

I'm not ready for that, yet, Pete - "Galway" is all I know! If that's county rather than city, and I think it is, there's an awful lot of parishes.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

i'm pretty sure that most of the irish parish registers are on microfilm in dublin. at least that's what i was told when i hired a researcher in 2009 to check the parish of sixmilebridge for my family.

i would suggest, if you can't find a marriage, get one of the children's births. that will help out. other than that, i don't think there is another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  "One very frustrated person"

Frustration is ......... trying to find the pre 1860 RC marriages of two sisters allegedly from Co Galway, especially when you're not sure how the surname would have been spelt! Oh, and throw in their baptisms too!!
                  Welcome to the club.

Jay
                  We have a club? When did that happen?

I also have a Lennon that's died in Scotland with an Irish birth, it took forever to find the correct parents for him, I found his marriage first which gave me an estimated area of Armagh to look in. Now I can't find anything further on his parents as it was 1812 that he was born.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    I assume they got married in County Clare as they were both born there and so were the children.

Did Joseph go to America in 1895 by the way? There was a Joseph Tubridy of the right age going.
                    Not that I know of but if Joseph's brother John named his children the same name as Joseph's I'm willing to bet that other family members did the same. If I remember correctly that 2nd Cousin from above has brothers, cousins in his tree that went to America and gave us the connection to Ryan Tubridy (the Radio/TV Star), although I think that's just wishful thinking, especially when the same tree has an awful lot of Royals through the 2nd Cousin's Great Grandmother.

Comment

Please note the following:

All
                      Irish Births Marrages and Deaths whether Catholic or Protestant are available through the Roscommon site/Belfast from 1864 onwards.

All Parish Records pre 1864 are available in both Belfast and Dublin but divided by Religion. I do not know how they are divided in Belfast or whether they are divided, but in Dublin all the Protestant Records are at the National Archives Dublin whereas all the Catholic Records are at The National Library Dublin.

Some are online but by no means all!
                      So if you are not finding them online then you may have to go to Dublin for Parish Records. There is no need to go around the churches these days as Tipperary Records are now open to the public via Dublin and Tipperary was the only county which was excluded to the public pre 2008.

Provided you know the date of a marriage , where they married and who married whom then there is no reason why you should not be able to purchase a Marriage Certificate from Roscommon provided the marriage was after 1864. You can choose to buy the cheap certificate at about 4 euros.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 17-03-14, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X