Can anyone find these people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find these people?

My grt. Aunt, Emily Louisa Lewis married Joseph Squire in Earlstown (Newton in Makerfield Lancashire) in 1884. Emily was born in Glamorgan Cardiff in 1863, and her husband was born in Topsham Devon c.1861. In 1891 they are living in Liversy Blackburn, they have 2 children, Lillian who is 5 and Percy who is 4m. old. On the 1901, Emily is listed as head of household, still in the same area, address is 474 Bolton Road, no mention of husband, the children are with her and also her mother, my grt.grt.grandmother is living with her (age 73) now a widow. I have looked on the 1911but with no success at all, even using the children in the search box on Ancestry. I have looked for a death for Joseph Squire but haven't succeeded in finding one. I have looked for a death for my grt.grt. grandmother, and haven't been able to pinpoint one. I may have found a marriage for Lillian in 1925, but not sure if this is her. They seem to have totally disappeared from the radar. There is a Louise Squire on the listings for the 1911, but I have checked this out and it isn't her. Her sister Lydia Martha Squire (they married brothers) is listed, but none of Emily or her family.
    Can anyone help to find them?
    Vonny

There's a marriage of an Emily Louisa SQUIRE to either Evan John DAVID or David John EVANS in Glamorgan, 11a 1003 Q1 1906 Could she have returned to her home area and remarried?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'm not sure about that. Her sister Lydia lived in Darwin after she married which wouldn't have been very far from Blackburn. My grt.grt. grandmother would have had to have been a consideration if she were to move away. The whole family moved from Cardiff before 1871 so all her siblings and related family were all in Lancashire. Why would she move back to where she had no-one?
      Vonny

Comment

If you search here http://search-collections.royalbcmus...AdvancedSearch
        for Percy Lewis Squire it lists 2 marriages , one to Mabel Gill 1912,second to Jessie Guthrie 1930. Also his death in 1944.

Paul

Comment

Here is his military WW1 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=2

Comment

It would seem Percy & Mabel had a son Lewis.Lewis is listed as son when an informant on Mabel's death certificate.

Paul

Comment

Here is a link to Louis Spencer Squire's death

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD1960 View Post
                It would seem Percy & Mabel had a son Lewis.Lewis is listed as son when an informant on Mabel's death certificate.

Paul
                Lewis Lewis is named on Emily Louisa Lewis marriage as father of the bride - can we see if he is the father of the bride on the 1906 marriage in Glamorgan ??
                Marriage: 12 Apr 1884 St John the Baptist, Earlestown, Lancashire, England
                Joseph Squire - 23, Paper Maker, Bachelor, Haydock Place
                Emily Louisa Lewis - 21, Spinster, Haydock Place
                Groom's Father: Thomas Squire, Paper Maker
                Bride's Father: Lewis Lewis, Shipwright
                Witness: Thomas Squire; Lydia Martha Lewis
                Married by Banns by: T. R. Matthews
                Register: Marriages 1879 - 1900, Page 46, Entry 91
                Source: Original Parish Register
                Last edited by garstonite; 13-03-14, 11:05.
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Paul, thank you so much for looking. Can you tell me where Percy was when he married both times? I can't open the WW1 link as this is on Ancestry worldwide for which I don't have a subscription, again can you tell me where he enlisted? I have managed to open the link for the death, thank you. So I need to find an emigration to Canada for Percy? Or did all the family emigrate? I will go and have a look.
                  Thanks Paul.
                  Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                    Lewis Lewis is named on Emily Louisa Lewis marriage as father of the bride - can we see if he is thefather of the bride on the 1906 marriage in Glamorgan ??
                    Marriage: 12 Apr 1884 St John the Baptist, Earlestown, Lancashire, England
                    Joseph Squire - 23, Paper Maker, Bachelor, Haydock Place
                    Emily Louisa Lewis - 21, Spinster, Haydock Place
                    Groom's Father: Thomas Squire, Paper Maker
                    Bride's Father: Lewis Lewis, Shipwright
                    Witness: Thomas Squire; Lydia Martha Lewis
                    Married by Banns by: T. R. Matthews
                    Register: Marriages 1879 - 1900, Page 46, Entry 91
                    Source: Original Parish Register
                    I do already have this information. I have the marriage certificate. Lewis Lewis moved all his family out of South Wales, he died in 1878 of stomach cancer. I have his death certificate.

Vonny

Comment

Baptism: 25 Jan 1891 St Andrew, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                      Percy Lewis Squire - [Child] of Joseph Squire & Emily Louisa
                      Born: 28 Nov 1890
                      Abode: 18 Brothers Street
                      Baptised by: J. C. Webb
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Vonny,Percy was in Vancouver for both his marriages,you can find the images on the Royal BC Museum website.
                        I am struggling to find an immigration for any of the Squires.

Paul

Comment

Hi Vonny,Percy was in Vancouver for both his marriages,you can find the images on the Royal BC Museum website.
                          Here is a link to image of Attestation https://www.dropbox.com/s/voog34plw0m80dn/IMG_0164.JPG

Paul

Comment

Paul
                            I can't find an outgoing passenger list for the family. I have found an incoming from Newfoundland, P L Squire is listed, it looks as though this is all army personnel in 1915, age 24, so it could be him, but it's not conclusive. I'm going to have a look at the next link you have listed.
                            Thanks Paul.

Comment

Here is a link to image of Attestation https://www.dropbox.com/s/voog34plw0m80dn/IMG_0164.JPG

Paul
                              This has got to be him. There cannot be 2 Percy Squire born in Blackburn with the same D.O.B. as Allan has found from his baptism. There must be an outgoing ship somewhere with the family ie, mother and sister with him surely?
                              Vonny

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                Baptism: 25 Jan 1891 St Andrew, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                                Percy Lewis Squire - [Child] of Joseph Squire & Emily Louisa
                                Born: 28 Nov 1890
                                Abode: 18 Brothers Street
                                Baptised by: J. C. Webb
                                Many thanks for that Allan, I did not have his baptism or D.O.B. A very welcome find as this confirms the attestation which Paul has linked over.
                                Vonny

Comment

Vonny,
                                  Would this be the baptism of Lilian.
                                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=4
                                  Yes, this is defiantly the baptism of Lillian.
                                  Vonny

Comment

Yes,I saw that outgoing list but as you say not conclusive.I have found another son of Percy &Mabel.
                                    James Henry Joseph Squire b.1913.
                                    Here is his marriage https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hkp2lt7hp7nxd7/IMG_0168.JPG
                                    and his death https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nx6uvnsjbibihp/IMG_0169.JPG

Comment

Thanks for the above links Paul. Percy had an uncle called James Henry and of course the Joseph must be from Percy's father. I had a look for Emily Squire on the outgoing ships and found one which could be her, but again inconclusive. It went from Liverpool 27th Oct. 1904 going to Montreal Canada and just listed as a Lady. No one on the list with her. I would have thought that if Percy was with her at that time he would also have been listed as he wouldn't have been travelling on his own, he would only have been 13/14 years old, or were children not listed? What about his father? I haven't come across a death or divorce. Lillian would in 1904 have been 19, might have had a job and didn't want to go to Canada?
                                      Vonny

Comment

Working...
                                      X