FMP image viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP image viewer

I've just changed to FMP after years with Ancestry.

I am used to being able to go to any page of an image set directly by typing in the page number. This is particularly useful to get to the enumerator's description page that lists all the streets covered if I can't read the street on the schedule pages.

I can't find anywhere in FMP to do this; the only way is to scroll back a page at a time, and if the image I am looking at is towards the end of the set it takes ages.

I have tried the enhanced viewer, but that doesn't work on my computer.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
    I am used to being able to go to any page of an image set directly by typing in the page number.
    I can't find anywhere in FMP to do this;
    I don't think the "page number selection" is available on FMP.
    Elaine

Comment

The only way I can suggest to get round this is - if for example you are looking at Piece: 4132, Folio: 79, Page: 41, go back to the search boxes using the census ref and substitute page 41 for page 1.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-03-14, 22:45.

Comment

I've also found this lack of page numbers annoying on FMP. Another annoyance is the offer (top right) to download an enhanced image viewer. I went through all the rigmarole of doing that only to get a message saying the file couldn't be opened with that viewer. Huh???
        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          I've also found this lack of page numbers annoying on FMP. Another annoyance is the offer (top right) to download an enhanced image viewer. I went through all the rigmarole of doing that only to get a message saying the file couldn't be opened with that viewer. Huh???
          Anne
          I have to click on view full screen since attempting to download the "enhanced" viewer - otherwise I have a split screen and can only view about a quarter of the image.
          I can work with this now I've sussed out what to do, but I don't know WHY things went awry in the first place! It only happens with FMP. Wonder what will happen when they've finished rolling out the new "improved" site????????????????????

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            I have to click on view full screen since attempting to download the "enhanced" viewer - otherwise I have a split screen and can only view about a quarter of the image.
            I can work with this now I've sussed out what to do, but I don't know WHY things went awry in the first place! It only happens with FMP. Wonder what will happen when they've finished rolling out the new "improved" site????????????????????

Jay
            The so called enhanced viewer is a total joke and I have complained to FMP previously about only getting a less than a quarter of the page to view. I didn't get a reply to my actual complaint only that the image was good enough to view! Do these people employ monkeys or what?!!
            Vonny

Comment

Thanks for the reply folks, glad it isn't me being thick (especially after a 20 odd year career in IT!)

@susan h: changing the page number in the search doesn't work on 2 counts. First the page and folio numbers are linked; the folio is the sheet (2 sides) in the book, and there are 2 page numbers associated with it. You need to know which folio goes with which page, and they don't always follow a logical sequence. Secondly there aren't any individuals on the description page, so the search wouldn't return any results even if you could work out the folio/page combination.

@Janet and Anne: I have failed to get the enhanced viewer working at all. It seems it is a problem with 64 bit Windows, and Djvu is a 32 bit application. By default Internet Explorer runs in 64 bit mode on 64 bit machines so Djvu won't work unless you change IE over to 32 bit each time you open it. However I use Firefox (which is 32 bit only) and SHOULD work, but doesn't. Having spent 4 hours of what should have been valuable research time last night, I am not going to waste any more time on it.

Despite Ancestry's new search, I think I will change back at the end of the month; it is all very well being able to find records more easily, but not much use when it is so difficult to view them. Also the search results don't show enough information without opening each transcription; a list of names without date and place of birth is pretty much useless!
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

I have put in yet another complaint to FMP this morning about their so called viewer and the page only showing a quarter of what it should. It is a total pain. If everybody complained and they were smothered with complaints they would really have to get their act together and sort it out. So if you use FMP and you are not happy you must complain or nothing will change.
                Vonny

Comment

You are right complaining is the right thing to do and I'm afraid I didn't do it. I had this problem a while back and other similar failure to stay logged in etc problems after my internet explorer version went up to 11. I resolved it by switching to Opera. I just checked and the problem is still there on Internet Explorer but not with Opera - I suspect this is connected with web compatibility.

Try the following if you are using Internet Explorer: while on the website for FindMyPast click the little gear wheel icon at top left, select Compatibility view settings. This should give you a form with findmypast.co.uk in the top single line box under Add this website, click Add, make sure the two check boxes at the bottom of the form are both checked and then click close. The find my past site should then reload. Have a shot at vewing an image and see if that makes any difference.

David

]

Comment

Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
                    I have put in yet another complaint to FMP this morning about their so called viewer and the page only showing a quarter of what it should. It is a total pain. If everybody complained and they were smothered with complaints they would really have to get their act together and sort it out. So if you use FMP and you are not happy you must complain or nothing will change.
                    Vonny
                    Don't hold your breath! I have reported, repeatedly, the inability to access a whole section of 1851 East Yorkshire census, which does NOT appear in the indexing. This has been going on for approx. 3 years. The last time, I asked for my message to be dealt with by someone higher up the chain of command. It was confirmed that there was indeed a part which had Not been indexed - the issue was to be dealt with, but would take a while to resolve, as FMP would have to procure the missing images, index them and add them to the database.
                    The supervisor/manager would deal with it personally and inform me when it had been done.
                    I am STILL waiting. I can't decide whether this is total incompetence or just a case of "couldn't care less." This is my third year of paying a sub for something they are unable and unwilling to deliver.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

i've never had these issues with findmypast. they were missing the village of neasham n the 1851 census a few years ago. it took them a while, 6-12 mths from memory, but they did film the pages and add them to the site.

as for not working with the enhanced viewer, i have used that in the past, but not on this laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
                        You are right complaining is the right thing to do and I'm afraid I didn't do it. I had this problem a while back and other similar failure to stay logged in etc problems after my internet explorer version went up to 11. I resolved it by switching to Opera. I just checked and the problem is still there on Internet Explorer but not with Opera - I suspect this is connected with web compatibility.

Try the following if you are using Internet Explorer: while on the website for FindMyPast click the little gear wheel icon at top left, select Compatibility view settings. This should give you a form with findmypast.co.uk in the top single line box under Add this website, click Add, make sure the two check boxes at the bottom of the form are both checked and then click close. The find my past site should then reload. Have a shot at vewing an image and see if that makes any difference.

David

]
                        Thank you for that tip David, I have done exactly as you said, went into saved records and opened up to view - lo and behold full page no split screen. Marvellous! However, many who use computers do not know a lot about the workings and are technophobes! It is still up to the website to make sure everyone can use it without difficulty. FMP still need to update their viewer, XP and ME are no longer supported, most systems now are on Microsoft 7, so it is up to FMP so get their house in order.
                        Vonny

Comment

Thanks from me too, David!

I'd been getting round it by clicking full screen, but as Vonny says, FMP should be the ones to sort out these problems.

Comment

Glad to be of help and I agree that FMP should try to resolve this.

However, I have 4 browsers installed on my system - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera and Firefox - precisely because as the web gets more complex and sites use various methods to show their data things go wrong and when they do my first action is to switch browsers. I have tried all these browsers on FMP and Internet Explorer (without compatibility settings) is the only one that is not able to show the images correctly so perhaps Microsoft should shoulder some of the responsibility; and the mere existence of a compatibility mode shows that they think so too!!!

Comment

Having used FMP for a week, I am totally unimpressed, not only with image viewing, but searching and transcription as well.

Searching parish registers is totally useless; you can't even specify a spouse for marriage, let alone father.

The transcriptions, particularly on the 1911 are appalling. When you consider that they had a massive head start over Ancestry, and they were the official provider on behalf of TNA, I would have thought they could have done a better job.

I have had Flonance instead of Florence, Henning instead of Herring, Karrersnire instead of Hammersmith and nearly 50% of the ages I have looked at have been wrong. These are all on images with very neat handwriting, and Ancestry has them correctly transcribed. The names don't even get picked up as variations, which only seem to include alternative spellings and abbreviations (Louis/Lewis, Fred/Frederick etc.) and don't include common mistranscriptions which Ancestry does.

As I only have a monthly subscription, I will be going back to Ancestry at the end of the month. Even though I get a lot of irrelevant results on searches, I do at least get the record I am looking for somewhere in the search, and their customer support is brilliant.
                              Devine in Ireland

Comment

and their customer support is brilliant.
                                Yes Pete, Ancestry's customer care is excellent; FMP's on the other hand is not so good.

I subscribe to both, and sometimes badly transcribed records on Ancestry can be easily found on FMP. What I particularly find frustrating with FMP is not being able to see ALL census records from one search, one has to look at each individual census year. They both have strengths and weaknesses, one of FMP's advantage's over Ancestry is the census address search facility, but I've heard that new updated FMP will not allow address search [don't know whether this is fact], if so, FMP will lose a great facility, and maybe me as a customer.

If I had to choose one over the other, I would definitely choose Ancestry. Ancestry's 'new search' can be annoying, but I'm getting a handle on it and it's actually not bad once used to it.

At least you've now tried FMP, and decided for you Ancestry is more user friendly, when you return to Ancestry it will be with positivity and you'll very soon adapt to the differences between old and new search.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNewton View Post
                                  Glad to be of help and I agree that FMP should try to resolve this.

However, I have 4 browsers installed on my system - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera and Firefox - precisely because as the web gets more complex and sites use various methods to show their data things go wrong and when they do my first action is to switch browsers. I have tried all these browsers on FMP and Internet Explorer (without compatibility settings) is the only one that is not able to show the images correctly so perhaps Microsoft should shoulder some of the responsibility; and the mere existence of a compatibility mode shows that they think so too!!!
                                  Now David, you are showing off just a bit!! I wouldn't know where to start!!
                                  Vonny

Comment

Pete
                                    If you think those transcription errors are bad have a look at this on Ancestry . The 1911 Census for Alfred Edwin Knapp b. 1864 East Cowes and Transcribed as a FEMALE .
                                    His Daughter Mabel Francis Phillips ( Married ) is Transcribed as Mabel Francis Knapp ,

I have come across loads of 1911 Census with the Man of the house Transcribed as a Female .

The thing I like about FMP is they do not give you hundreds of useless hits . The default is +/- 2 which you can adjust later .
                                    In Ancestry if you search for somebody say b. 1870 why do you get loads of hits for 1810 onwards ? it seems that their policy is more is better .

Ken

Comment

I agree with David it is Microsoft that need to make their browser compattible .
                                      I use Firefox on Linux and have never had a problem Viewing or Saving Images in FMP .

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post
                                        Pete

The thing I like about FMP is they do not give you hundreds of useless hits . The default is +/- 2 which you can adjust later .
                                        In Ancestry if you search for somebody say b. 1870 why do you get loads of hits for 1810 onwards ? it seems that their policy is more is better .

Ken
                                        Ken

If you are sure of the information that you have check the box at the top left of the search form in ancestry "match all terms exactly". It cuts down all the extraneous unnecessary hits.

David

Comment

Working...
                                        X