Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever completed a family tree of a village?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever completed a family tree of a village?

Hi

My nan was brought up in a very small village in Suffolk (around 5-6 roads in total). I cannot believe that at some point in time im not related to everyone, either by blood or marriage, who lived there and I thought it would be a good thing to see the integration between families. For example I currently have one person with the same surname who comes from this village, moved to Bury in Lancashire where some people in my tree also moved to but I haven't found a link and didn't know they existed until I nearly merged their son John with someone from my tree born in the same village around the same year!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Similar to the Guild of One Name Studies, there is now a Society for One Place Studies. An interesting idea if you want to research a specific place, particularly a small village!

One-Place studies for local and family historians. The society welcome membership from any person or group interested in One-Place studies.
    Elaine

Comment

Depends what you call completed.
      I compiled a "tree" for the residents of Bottesford, Leicestershire a number number of years ago and put it online in 2005.
      There are 12132 individuals and 3066 families representing 1453 surnames in the database covering approximate dates between 1650 - 1881.

It is part of my Guys of Bottesford site at

Scroll down to Families of Bottesford, Leics. Database.

In a way it is part of a one place study but the place is the Framland Hundred of Leicestershire so in a way not really a one place study. ;)
      Cheers
      Guy
      Last edited by Guy; 11-03-14, 13:51. Reason: somone nicked the y from Guys
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Yes, I've done two village studies, both are still a work in progress. One is for Gawsworth in Cheshire. I am related to everyone who ever lived there before 1900, lol. The other is for Darwen in Lancs. I started this because I thought I might be related to someone there. Still haven't proved it, but I'm up to 5000 + names. Someone else is doing a "census only" (with bmd indexes) tree for the same place and has about 14,000 names.

No money spent (or very little) on either tree. They are both sketch trees.

Elaine - thanks for that link, I didn't know about the SOPs!

OC

Comment

Thanks very much for that
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
          X