No announcement yet.

When and where did Sarah Wilkinson die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and where did Sarah Wilkinson die?

Sarah Britland was one of O.H's direct ancestors. She was born in Cromford, Derbyshire in 1811. She married Edwin Wilkinson in 1838 (Cromford Derbyshire. I have managed to track Edwin and Sarah through all census returns until 1881. They were last recorded together in Wassett, Winthorpe, Cumbria(formally Westmoreland)

Edwin died in 17 Jan 1882 in Barnsley. His son John was recorded on the death certificate. I do not know if Sarah was alive when her husband died. Sarah Wilkinson is quite a common name and I can not afford to order multiple certificates in order to obtain the correct one.

Any ideas on locating Sarah's death registration would be most welcome.

Sandra

Try going through Free BMD year by year with an age qualification. Its a bit tedious because you need to try three different ages for each year. There are surprisingly few ... in fact none in 1881 or 1882. The first one I found was Sarah Wilkinson aged 74 who died in Bradford district in March quarter 1883. I haven't gone any further but you might be able to eliminate a lot like this.
    Anne

Comment

Hi Anne,

When you used freeBMD were the results just for Yorkshire or for the whole of England. This family were notorious for moving around so it wouldn't surprise me where Sarah died!

Sandra

Comment

have you concentrated on westmorland? and nothing popped up? what about where any children lived? or siblings? she may have returned home or visited?

have you got a burial for the husband? or a cemetery? you could check if she was buried in the same one.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Nothing is showing for Westmoreland. Sarah and Edwin had four children. However, I only fully know the fate of one child, O.H's direct ancestor James Edwin. Two 'disappeared' as young adults and the other after the 1881 census. Which doesn't help my quest. There are no burial in Barnsley which fit with age so I think she may have moved on after the death of her husband.

Sandra

Comment

trying to go sideways here, I think that this might be Emma in 1871 Sandra

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3453; Folio: 51; Page: 20; GSU roll: 839419.

I can't spot her in 1881 so I will look for a marriage for her..
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

nope, nothing is jumping out :(
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

With regard to Emma, I had already identified this census as probably being Emma. And, I suspect she married between 1871 and 1881 but where, when and to whom I have no idea! As already stated this family are very very difficult to track! I still haven't found he brother John after 1881 and as for her bother William I loose him after 1851!

There is a death registration in Chesterfield 1885 but this Sarah lived in the area she died in so it isn't her.

Sandra
                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 11-03-14, 10:42.

Comment

I know what you mean.. I know you probably don't want to do this but I think you will have to.. list all marriages for emma bet. 1876-1881 then systematically check each one, a long way around but you might get lucky and find Sarah living with her, but mistrans under emmas married name.

incidently I did spot something in the criminal registers for edwin/John wildgoose, but I cant find it at the moment..
                  Julie

Comment

here it is for Edwin.. 1865 - Derby

Julie

Comment

hmm ages are a little out on this but, I can't spot them before this census... coincidence?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

The record for Edwin is a definite possible. However, I don't think the census is correct. Sarah and William were definitely born in Derbyshire. Thank you for trying though.

Sandra

Comment

I have just looked on ancestry and there is another Edwin Wildgoose born in Derbyshire 1841 which could be the Edwin with the criminal record. Although my Edwin was baptised as a Wildgoose because his parents were born out of wedlock he was recorded as a Wilkinson on all the census returns.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                            Hi Julie,

I don't think the census is correct. Sarah and William were definitely born in Derbyshire. Thank you for trying though.

Sandra
                            I know, though, I cannot find this other William & Sarah on any previous census, maybe the enumerator put the wrong POB down?
                            Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

There is a William Wilkinson born 1840 in Cambridgeshire. He was a married to Susan and on the 1901 census which you found William is shown as a Widower. I can not find a 1901 census which shows a William and Susan. However, the occupation different on the 1901 census to the previous ones.

Sandra

Comment

Probably a bit late now! The searches I was doing on FreeBMD were for everywhere. I just put her name and then did a one year search at a time with three ages for each search. I was very surprised to see that there were not many and, although it will take a while you would get a shortlist to work with. The one I found was just the first one, having started in 1881 when she was last seen.
                                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                  Hi Julie,

There is a William Wilkinson born 1840 in Cambridgeshire. He was a married to Susan and on the 1901 census which you found William is shown as a Widower. I can not find a 1901 census which shows a William and Susan. However, the occupation different on the 1901 census to the previous ones.

Sandra
                                  poooooooooooo back to the drawing board then!...
                                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                                  X