Drakes from Kent to London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drakes from Kent to London

I could have sworn I had asked about this ages ago, but nothing is coming up in the search so here we go if anyone has a few spare moments.

I have the BC for my 2x great grandmother Sarah Ann Drake born 19 Feb 1851, 13 Norfolk Place, Rotherhithe to Henry Drake, Labourer and Charlotte Drake formerly Pritchard.

On the 1851 census at 13 Norfolk Place Rotherhithe (HO107, Piece 1583, Folio 101, Page 10) I have:-

Henry Drake Head Mar 43 Corn Porter Kent, Eyethorn
    Charlotte Drake Wife Mar 44 Kent, Birchington
    Eliza Drake Dau Unm 9 Surrey, Bermondsey
    Susannah Drake Dau Unm 6 Surrey, Bermondsey
    Charlotte M A Drake Dau Unm 4 Surrey, Bermondsey
    Sarah A Drake Dau Unm 1 mths Surrey, Rotherhithe

I am not worried about the family going forward; I have that pretty much sewn up. It is the past where I am having problems.

In 1841 I can only find one household with Henry Drake with a Charlotte, giving Henry's YOB as 1808 +/-10; HO107, Piece 1048, Book 2, Folio 34, Page 18.

Cherry Garden Street, St. Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey.
    Henry Drake-30-Carpenter-
    Charlotte Drake-31--
    Stephen Drake-14--
    Mary Ann Drake-12--
    Elizabeth Drake-10--
    Susannah Drake-6 mths--

All born 'out of county' except Susannah.

I have been unable to trace ANY of these forward, nor can I find any likely baptisms. There is a possible burial for Susannah 1842 St. Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, which matches a Q1 1840 birth in Bermondsey. I also have a possible child Richard born and died in Bermondsey in 1837.

Now I have moved over to FMP I have access to the Kent Parish Registers, so I have been trying to find the family there.

I already had Henry going back another 3 generations, but I have never been able to find a marriage to a Charlotte Pritchard, nor have I been able to find baptisms for Stephen, Mary Ann, and Elizabeth.

If these two families are the same, there is a fairly regular spacing of about 2 years between children, except Elizabeth (1831) to Richard (1837); this also coincides with a move from Kent to London (based on place of birth of the children).

So I started to wonder if there was a second marriage inbetween Elizabeth and Richard. I have found a marriage for Charlotte Pritchard to a James Miles in Birchington 1826, and Banns for a marriage between Charlotte Miles and Henry Drake in Minster in Thanet, St Mary the Virgin 1834, but I can't find the actual marriage, and the Banns don't state if she was a widow.

I have also found baptisms for Stephen Miles (1827), Mary Ann Miles (1829) and Elizabeth Miles (1831) St. John in Thanet.

So, is this all just coincidence, or have I finally sorted out this family?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

What about this marriage?

Name Henry Drake
    Birth Date
    Birthplace
    Spouse's Birth Date
    Spouse's Birthplace
    Spouse's Age
    Event Date 05 Jul 1834
    Event Place Queenborough, Kent, England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number I00537-1
    System Origin England-EASy
    GS Film number 1835539

Comment

There is a burial on FMP for a James Miles on 5/12/1831 in Monkton which is in the Thanet area and just below Birchington.

There is also a marriage between a Henry Drake and a Charlotte Miles on 5/1/1834 at St Mary the Virgin, Minster in Thanet. Parish for bride and groom given as The Royal Air Force Chapel, Manston
      Last edited by Frazzled; 09-03-14, 16:34.

Comment

Sorry make that the date of Banns not marriage 5th 12th and 19th. Can't check if the parish of couple is correct as it is not on the original image only transcription. Surely it can't be right???
        Last edited by Frazzled; 09-03-14, 16:45.

Comment

Don't know why they have put The Royal Air Force Chapel on the transcription, I can't read what parish they have put for the groom but as I see you have FMP see what you think it could be.

Have sent in error report to FMP

Comment

Thanks for your input folks.

Bertie have seen that from FamilySearch but unfortunately there isn't an image for it. I would hope the image states if Charlotte is a spinster or widow.

Frazzled, yes I have seen the image and think that Henry's parish is Walmer, which is where most of his younger siblings were born (Henry being the eldest). I must admit I didn't look at the transcription, but I agree the RAF Chapel is a mistake, especially as the RAF wasn't formed until 1918!

That burial for James Miles is promising, and I am hoping that the parish registers aren't completely transcribed yet and the actual marriage will turn up soon.
            Last edited by PeteW1959; 09-03-14, 17:18.
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post

Bertie have seen that from FamilySearch but unfortunately there isn't an image for it. I would hope the image states if Charlotte is a spinster or widow.
              Not sure what you mean - have you ordered a copy of the image from photoduplication?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post

Bertie have seen that from FamilySearch but unfortunately there isn't an image for it.
                Have you requested a copy of the image from Family Search, Pete - using their photoduplication service (Free)
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Bertie, I keep forgetting you can do that!

I just assume that when the box on the right comes up as 'No Image Available' that is the end of it :o
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

All that means is there is no link to the image on the film. But you can always order it and get it that way. Fingers crossed it's the right marriage
                    Last edited by Bertie; 09-03-14, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X