New Features on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Features on Ancestry

Like most experienced researchers I miss 'old search' and have found the 'new Ancestry' difficult to adjust to, in view of this I decided to play around with it this evening. I have found some ways around certain searches, but by no means all, and am still struggling to get relevant hits for some records.

One feature I found which I do like, but unsure whether it's new [as I didn't need such aids with old search] is the country map which can be found by clicking on 'search all records' scroll down to the map and click on country of choice, say, for example England, then go to 'narrow by county' (over to the right), click your county of interest and all records for that county will be presented. Quite a neat resource I think, and hope it helps others.

Maybe we could all collaborate and share any tips we have for using 'new search'. If we all work together we may find ways to use new Ancestry in a way which produces good, relevant hits.

The country map is an excellent suggestion Susan - not only by restricting your searches to a particuar country or county, but also allows you to see which datasets are available for that region. Not something I have used before but may well do in the future!

One of my suggestions is to avoid using the LOCATION boxes for place names. I am finding I get more accurate and applicable results if I put place names in the KEYWORD box.
    Another suggestion if you are doing a "search all records" search, is to view the results in CATEGORY mode, rather than a long list of jumbled up results from the different databases.
    Finally, I always tick the "exact matches" box. If you want your search to be slightly flexible to take in account possible mistranscriptions, spelling variations etc., then use wildcards.
    Elaine

Comment

I have seen the country map before but never bothered, but now I realise what a useful tool it is after you ladies have pointed out the way!
      Vonny

Comment

As I have World Wide Ancestry I have found using the country map very useful previously, but with the old search rather than with the new search, where I could never find it!! So maybe I should relook at the new search.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Elaine, tried your 'category mode' search and yes it's much better. If we all help each other we WILL get used to 'new ancestry'.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
            Thanks Elaine, tried your 'category mode' search and yes it's much better. If we all help each other we WILL get used to 'new ancestry'.
            It should default to category search if you have selected this option in Site Preferences -

tick box :
            Use category exact mode (simulates old search)
            Simulates old search by defaulting to required matches on all four fields and displaying results in category view.
            - much easier than viewing a jumbled list of results!
            Elaine

Comment

Seems like a neat idea, and will give it a go soon. I get rather tired of doing a search and getting world wide names on my list when I am searching for a small area of interest.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks for your help, Elaine. Just tried your suggestions and much better for me!

Amanda

Comment

I have only done a small amount of research one day since the new search came in and I had changed the settings as suggested by Ancestry (and Elaine above). I looked for a Crowther living in Nottingham (that's all I put) and in 1911 with the Nottingham in the Location box and then in the Keyword box, and both times I got most of the first page of Crowthers living somewhere totally different and only one (possibly two) on the first page near the bottom.
                  When I tried the same thing in 1901 however, I got almost a whole page full of Crowthers in Nottingham, whichever box I put the Nottingham in.
                  It looks to me as though some of the census are ready set up to go but not the 1911?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    I looked for a Crowther living in Nottingham (that's all I put) and in 1911 with the Nottingham in the Location box and then in the Keyword box, and both times I got most of the first page of Crowthers living somewhere totally different and only one (possibly two) on the first page near the bottom.
                    1. Just tried the same search - 1911 census - Crowther in the surname box and Nottingham in the location box. I agree, a mixed bunch of results.
                    2. Similar search - 1911 census - Crowther in the surname box and type Nottingham in the location box - but then select one of the default options it shows for Nottingham. I chose Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England - totally different results from the first search, and much more applicable.

... which seems to indicate that if you are going to use the location boxes you must put in exactly how it would show up on the database transcription!

Using just Nottingham in the keyword box (with nothing in location box) gives better results than the first search, but not as good as the second!
                    Elaine

Comment

Oh thank you Elaine I will remember that. It's like having to learn how to do it all over again

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        ...It's like having to learn how to do it all over again

Same here!
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks all for these tips - I will certainly be trying them out the next time I search.
                          A thought does occur though that at the same time as helping each other 'learn' the new search perhaps we could identify the flaws in it for reporting to ancestry such as that Elaine has identified with the location issue.
                          It must help us get a better experience all round if we pool our experiences and pas them to ancestry for them to put right.

Margaret

Comment

I agree Margaret If they don't know what the problems are they can't fix them.

Comment

It does involve us applying new techniques, relearning in fact, so I suppose we must first unlearn all the tricks we used before and start 'all over again'. We'll get used to it, and threads like this where tips and tricks are found by others, are so useful. I do feel less frustrated than a few days ago but still find the searches not so easy as previously.

I was offered the chance to fill out a questionnaire earlier on Ancestry.com, I guess because the Americans are up in arms on their facebook page. I duly filled it out, instead of saying 'bring back old search' which let's face it, isn't going to happen, I opined could they not try to make the 'new search' easier to find relevant hits. I think Ancestry do want their customers to be satisfied, hope I'm right, and will, if possible, make some changes.

Comment

Yes, I agree with you too Susan I haven't done enough research since it changed to give much of an opinion yet. I've no doubt that I will though

Comment

A VERY annoying feature - not sure if it has just been introduced or was always there on the "new search".
                                  When you start filling in the boxes for a search, it tries to autofill according to names in your Ancestry tree. I must be typing too quick because I very often accidentally hit one of the names as I move onto the next box - and all the boxes then take the info that applies to that particular person. Then spend the next few minutes either deleting it, or going back out of the search and starting again.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Hah! Glad I don't have an Ancestry tree then!
                                    Anne

Comment

yes elaine, thats rather annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        Hah! Glad I don't have an Ancestry tree then!
                                        Anne
                                        I'm very tempted to remove mine! It's private anyway, don't really know why I've got it on there to be honest!!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X