Anyone good with handwriting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with handwriting...

Can anyone decipher the below please? I'm rubbish with handwriting!

Attached Files
    Lauren =)

Hi Laureen,

If I make a start others make take up the challenge.....

Childhood
    Nottingham

Three weeks after forming???????????then put on medicine???????chart.Painted with Lotion.

Sandra

Comment

Three weeks after joining
      complained to doctor. Was put on
      medicine and d... and chest
      painted with iodine
      Never been out of England
      Whilst on special leave declared sick and was admitted
      to ............. with rheumatic pain in ankles
      knees and hands

agravated by service

constitutional

No
      Last edited by JudithM; 04-03-14, 17:24. Reason: few more words deciphered
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Much the same as Judith

Left margin
        Mans statement
        Then downward
        Childhood
        ? Nottingham
        Three weeks after joining complained to doctor. Not sure of next line. ? man put on medicine and ?
        Painted with Iodine
        ? been out of England whilst on special leave declared sick and was admitted to ?
        With ? (backache) and rheumatic pain in ankles knees and hands

? Aggravated by service
        Constitutional
        no

Paragraph on left.
        ? was admitted 23/1/18 was sent to ? Southwell or Louthwell for 2 weeks
        Returned pretty much same condition.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Three weeks after joining
          complained to doctor. Was put on
          medicine and dub and chest
          painted with iodine
          Never been out of England
          Whilst on special leave declared sick and was admitted
          to Carrington with rheumatic pain in ankles
          knees and hands

The D in dub, looks very similar to the D of declared and I am still not sure that is what it says..

if he was admitted to Carrington =[thats what it looks like to me, I think that there was a Hospital/in around Carrington in Nottingham. [though I guess that this depends if he was treated in Nottm or not!]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
            Paragraph on left.
            ? was admitted 23/1/18 was sent to ? Southwell or Louthwell for 2 weeks
            Returned pretty much same condition.
            it'd be Southwell Mandy... that is on the outskirts of the city.
            Julie

Comment

Might be "medicine and DIET" - they were very fond of that, lol.

OC

Comment

I have been looking into the Carrington angle, the nearest hospital to there is at the end of the A60/A611 and it is now Nottingham City Hospital, but it has gone through many name changes. It is now part of Queens Medical Centre [[QMC, Hospital]] as they have merged the two.

Nottingham City Hospital.
                Originally the site of the Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital (opened in 1892), and the Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary (opened in 1903). The Workhouse closed in 1909. During World War 1, the Infirmary became the Bagthorpe Military Hospital. In 1935, by now called the City Infirmary, it became a municipal general hospital and was renamed the Nottingham City Hospital. During World War 2 the hospital treated military wounded and prisoners of war. It was awarded teaching hospital status in 1970
                Julie

Comment

Could be admitted to Carrington with Bronchitis and Rheumatism....
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                    Could be admitted to Carrington with Bronchitis and Rheumatism....
                    Oh yes, that would fit with them painting his chest.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

... and rheumatic pain .....

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you everyone! :-D
                        Lauren =)

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Might be "medicine and DIET" - they were very fond of that, lol.

OC
                          If the second of those principal words is something like "diet", then I think it might be "dieting". It seems to have an ending with a significant downstroke - g/j/p/q/y The final squiggle closely resembles the ending of "joining". It doesn't make a significant difference to the overall meaning, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I don't think therre is a downstroke in the "diet" word, I think what you are seeing as a downstroke is actually the "d" of the word iodine below.

As you say, makes little difference really.

The reason I think it might be "diet" is because I have seen some old medical records which mention "medicine and diet" as treatment. "Diet" meaning a light nourishing diet of milk and meat soups.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Christine

I don't think therre is a downstroke in the "diet" word, I think what you are seeing as a downstroke is actually the "d" of the word iodine below.

As you say, makes little difference really.

The reason I think it might be "diet" is because I have seen some old medical records which mention "medicine and diet" as treatment. "Diet" meaning a light nourishing diet of milk and meat soups.

OC
                              I think that "diet" makes more sense - I just reckoned I could see a downstroke which runs down parallel to (and so close that there's no gap between it and) the upstroke of Iodine's "d" and which stops about level with the top of the loop of the "d". Without actually looking at the original, it would be difficult to be absolutely certain. Maybe I'm just imagining things!

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X