Elusive man has disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elusive man has disappeared

I have several records for this man, have his birth date from his seamans ticket, his baptism record (PR), at 15yrs Criminal Registers Offence larceny Imprisonment 1 month, his Merchant Navy record/ticket and so unlike most people researched I even know his height, eye/hair colour and complextion, what he did as a job out of the Merchant Navy and his address at that time, also have a copy of the parish chest book which has sort of a village census in it and his mother names him along with the other children she had, who they married, where they live, so that is secondary information about him, but that is the last date I have of his existance

Name Samuel Blay
    born (15) and Baptised(22) Feb 1819 Stickney Lincolnshire
    5 Jan 1836 Lincolnshire Criminal Registers
    15 Aug 1839 First went to sea
    1 Aug 1845 lived at 1 Duke St Hull Yorkshire
    Occupation 'Riverman'
    Merchant Navy 'out' 1847 'home' 1848
    1856 ( worked out as I haven't written the date on the copy I have from the dates on the record, ie Vicar arrived in 1855, his mother died in 1857) it says his name and next to it "at sea"

I can find no census, no marriage, no death
    I thought I had found him arriving in Melbourne Australia along with a wife/child but further investigation shows wrong birth place and I can't find anything for that family after that anyway

Can anyone help 18421, 1851 census marriage, death, burial, immigration to

Thanks
    Foxyloxy

He had an alias!!

John Stradder otherwise Samuel Blay, of Swineshead, pleaded guilty to an indictment for stealing a pair of gaiters from Benton Chambers, of that place. The chairman addressed him in a very feeling manner, and stated that the Court having taking into consideration his extreme youth, and he having expressed contrition for what he had done, they were inclined to deal leniently with him, hoping that this would be a warning to him for the future: they therefore sentence him to a month’s imprisonment to hard labor.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 03-03-14, 18:01.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

all I could find was the naval record you seem to have nothing else sorry

Comment

aha Elizabeth maybe he is using that later then ? shall have a nosey

Comment

Under the name John Stradder here:

But this is the same instance.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

cannot find anything under that name either ?

Comment

Do you think he was lost at sea? OH has several seamen/rivermen who simply disappear. At the next census the wife is a widow :(
              Anne

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth, yes that is his 'up before the bench' in 1836 although I just thought 'caught out using an alias wouldn't use again' but thinking about it now and the fact I can find no mention of him at all, it is more likely he did or possibly used another which is why I can find nothing at all.

Thanks Val for looking
                Foxyloxy

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Do you think he was lost at sea? OH has several seamen/rivermen who simply disappear. At the next census the wife is a widow :(
                  Anne
                  I am fast coming to that conclusion, but then I should be able to find a marriage and I can't.

Maybe that is what 'at sea' means in the 1856 record I have. But he must have left the Merchant Navy or his record would say 'out' and no 'home' date, or maybe not

I was thinking migration, then found his Merchant Navy record then that took me along the Australia immigration route ( aided by the fact his brother migrated to Australia in 1857)
                  Last edited by foxyloxy; 03-03-14, 23:07.
                  Foxyloxy

Comment

do you know for sure he married ? maybe he did not

Comment

No I have no idea if he married and the family are NOT what you could call 'normal', I don't think his brother married, well I can find no record of any marriage and another brother remained in the village and never married ( he was very normal compared to the others, along with one of his sisters) the rest welllllllllllllll
                      Last edited by foxyloxy; 03-03-14, 23:10.
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

sounds like my lot , I have been looking under just his first name on Ancestry and started to wonder if he could have been mistranscribed as Bailey ?
                        Going to bed now will have another look tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy View Post
                          No I have no idea if he married and the family are NOT what you could call 'normal', I don't think his brother married, well I can find no record of any marriage and another brother remained in the village and never married ( he was very normal compared to the others, along with one of his sisters) the rest welllllllllllllll
                          Thanks Val, you are likely to come across a Samuel Blaie ( Blair) who migrated to Australia in Oct 1857 along with wife Matilda plus infant but he was born in Edinburgh, so it is not him
                          Foxyloxy

Comment

may not be relevant - but here in Liverpool - we had many many sailors ...you have to picture this scenario ..."he was Beached and never seen again "...this means that a certain sailor was more trouble than he was worth ...ie always fighting / stealing from fellow crew members / unclean - smelly etc etc - thus the crew would complain to the Captain that this man was more trouble than he was worth - and we can`t put up with him for 6 months at sea ....so the Captain would find a beach somewhere - send this man on a rowing boat / lifeboat , with half a dozen men - and they would leave him on a beach ...we have a few even today nicknamed "Beach" in our local pubs ...some sailors made it back home - others were never seen again ...
                            not uncommon amongst sailors to talk of someone they knew who was "Beached".....just something to consider ??
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

OhAhhh, Thanks Garstonite, yes we forget in 2014 just how things happened back then. From what I have found not just about him but the rest of the siblings, cousins and neices, nephews they were 'challenging' people in the society they lived in and lots and lots of family scripts some highly involved in the church, sexton, donation of the church bell and clock, to petty and more serious crimes, the village Constable's note book is full of their names and it seems the Lincoln Assizes was some of the 'kids' and kids of kids second home.

Must say I love it when they are rogues as there are so many more records to find.

It is so easy to look on a census and see a family group and check the PRs to find when they were baptised, married and died and yet in reality you know nothing at all about them as people. I was looking for his brother who I thought was a 'bad un' and the black sheep of the family BUT since doing the research on all the siblings and their lives I am amazed ( and delighted) to have found so much which has taken me into records that we don't 'usually' use.

The Curate and the Village Constable have certainly made my research interesting with the records they produced about the families and the details that are added and they have proved conclusively details that I could not get elsewhere.

Eg Eliza and Elizabeth ( two of Samuels sisters) one had a child before marriage, child always lived with Grandma the 'girls' worked as servants in the same household in Bourne ( 1841 census) so ages were rounded up/down, so they are documented as the same age, some records they use Eliza, some Elizabeth and seem to swap and change, found the 'absent' father via Lincolnshire poor law bastardy case record, both 'girls' then married, both went on to have children. Other direct line researchers have birth, marriage, death certs and all have come to the conclusion it was Elizabeth's child, I was not convinced even with the weight of what they called 'evidence' for them that was they all came to the same conclusion independantly reseaching and it is the Curate's village census in 1856 which at the side of Eliza ( it is written as Elizabeth with the 'beth' crossed out it) it says "has illegitimate child" next to her name and then adds her husbands name and son of and his fathers name and a couple of lines above is Elizabeth, her husband , 2 children and Bourne where they were living. Without that it would still be speculation and the other researchers now have an absent dad to research which is great when it is their direct line ancestry but are also realising that a whole part of their tree is a married into the family uncle and his ancestry, not 'step dad' who they had also assumed was really dad, so also assumed direct line and the half siblings in their trees are really half cousins
                              I think as far as Samuel is concerned I am not going to find out which bugs me no end So he was beached, he fought in the Crimenan war, he migrated under an alias and/or his name was mistranscribed as Blaie/Blair (then lied about his birth place) to Australia for the gold rush, or the USA ( found a potential from the 1870 on in USA census as John Stredder) he died/buried at sea grrrrrrrrr

Thank you all for your help, advice, stories, must admit I will still keep looking:Djust in case
                              Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                              X