Please help me work a date out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me work a date out

I'm helping a friend with her tree. She's done quite a bit of research herself and has lots of odds and ends of info, and I'm just trying to pull it together so that I can print it out for her.

One of the things she has is an undated newspaper cutting for a relative: Stephen Jay. From the indexes we knew that he died in 1935 Chesterfield Registration District and from another website it says his death was registered on 29 Aug 1935. The article says ...

" At the age of 64 years, the death occurred on Thursday week of Mr Jay, 86 Victoria Street, New Brimington. Mr Jay had been in ill health for the past 26 weeks and took to his bed just a week prior to his death. The funeral took place on Monday ...."

And I wondered if I could work out the date of his death and the funeral from that.

According to a 1935 calendar, 29 Aug was a Thursday, so does that mean that the death was registered on the day he died?

I've tried, without success, to find the newspaper article on both FMP and the British Newspaper Archive.

All help appreciated.
    Thanks
    STG (not a natural at maths!)
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Unlike today when we have to make an appointment to register a death or birth, it probably was possible to register on the same day as long as you had the death certificate signed by a doctor.
    Vonny

Comment

As he'd been ill for 6mths and in bed for a week, it's quite likely that the doctor would have been on-hand to issue the paperwork that the registrar needed.

So, you think that 29 Aug is a distinct possibility? Seems a better bet to me than 22 Aug somehow.

STG

Comment

I have just looked back at one of my grt.uncle's. He died in hospital on the 4th Feb 1929 and he was buried on the 9th just five days later. So your chaps burial could have been 5 days after death, remember refrigeration was not a common thing then and bodies had to be buried A.S.A.P.
        Vonny

Comment

Deaths have always had to be registered within six days of death, so the 29th is very likely. If he had died on 22nd, then a registration on 29th would have been a late registration.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Deaths have always had to be registered within six days of death, so the 29th is very likely. If he had died on 22nd, then a registration on 29th would have been a late registration.

OC
            Oh, good thinking OC.

Thanks
            STG

Comment

Working...
            X