army enlistment records 1850's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• army enlistment records 1850's

i have a family legend of an ancestor signing up for the army twice, but can only find the service papers for the second time.

peter poole ch.13 oct 1833 hawkesbury, gloucester. supposedly ran away from home and signed up with the army. mum went to the barracks and asked for him, and was taken to him. she dragged him home by his ears.....not long after, he ran away again. mum again marched down to the barracks and asked for him. she was told there was no one by this name and she went home again.

he had signed up with his step father's name. peter ford (as he was known for the rest of his life) enlisted on 9 feb 1854 at gloucester. he was 19, a gunner in the royal artillery. he left the army at woolwich on 1 may 1866.

i have all the information about peter, i just wanted to know if the record for his first enlistment would have survived? or if it would have been destroyed? since he was underage, and his mother exposed him, what would have happened to his papers? there are 3 peter poole's on FMP army service records, but none are him. they are too late.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 27-02-14, 07:56.
Working...
X