No announcement yet.

WW1 service records - all held at Kew??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 service records - all held at Kew??

Sorry if this is obvious.
    I am looking for both my grandad's army service records. Are they held at Kew?

I have one of grandad's dischard sheet, kept safely, but that's all.

One was a gunner in 37th Bridage RFA, the other 4th Hampshire Regiment.

Also, my mum told me her dad Arthur Thomas Hamilton's original surname was Tullett and that he was 'ejected' from the army. When he rejoined Jan 1914, he took his mother's maiden name of Hamilton (1895).. Arthur Thomas = 1895Deptford - 1970 Lewisham. I cannot find any military history pre his 'Hamilton' army record.

Any help or pointers gratefully accepted.

RFA = Arthur Thomas Hamilton, Hampshires = Arthur Albert McKanna

Amanda

have pmd you

Comment

A lot of WW1 records were destroyed in WW2 - so there may not be any records to be found.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There is a 4-page record for Arthur Thomas TULLETT, b Deptford abt 1895 (on 10 Apr 1913, he was 18y3m old). He was discharged in May 1913 as "not being likely to become an efficient soldier" - he also had no molar teeth, apparently! There's more info about parents and siblings. There's lots of detail about his appearance.

FMP has a PPV system as well as subscriptions. I believe they're changing options soon. I don't know whether PPV will disappear but I think they're planning monthly subs as an alternative to 6-monthly & annual.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The parents' names are consistent with an 1884q4 marriage in St Olave (on FreeBMD).

There's a possible baptism for Arthur on Ancestry - amongst the London baptisms - which also gives a DoB. And the parents' 1884 marriage is in the London register images, too.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you so much to Christine, Jbee & Val.

That is him! - and a mystery solved. 'unlikely to become an efficient solder' - hahahahahahaha. Wonder how he managed to get in the second time then? Better not go there....

My mum will be thrilled for this to be resolved

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
              Thank you so much to Christine, Jbee & Val.

That is him! - and a mystery solved. 'unlikely to become an efficient solder' - hahahahahahaha. Wonder how he managed to get in the second time then? Better not go there....
              My mum will be thrilled for this to be resolved

Amanda
              Did you pick up that you can see the images of the service record on FindMyPast? and of the parish registers on Ancestry?

Christine

Comment

Yes,thank you Christine! Val very kindly emailed them to me.

Thanks again

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                X