• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they actually marry ?

have almost given up
    Philip Henry Stone born abt 1842 Chillington Devon
    Sophia ??born abt 1840 Barnstaple Devon

First child as far as I know

Anne born abt 1865 Torquay Devon not found her birth yet or her Fathers? another mystery

This is them in 1871

Val, not sure if there is any link here - but compare these two census entries

1861 - Philip & Sophia Soulsher
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

1871 - Philip & Sophia Stone
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

They are very similar!
    Elaine

Comment

In 1851 he shows as b 1840-41, Chillington. HO107/1872 fo171 p15a
      He's with his parents and siblings in Tormoham.

And he's at 176 Devonshire St (appropriately!) in MEOT by 1881 with Sophia and family. They must have moved from Devon in 1864-67.

I haven't managed to spot a marriage. FMP has a lot of Devonshire marriages - many with images - but not the likely area for you yet, I don't think. It's possibel that they didn't marry - but it's also possible that the marriage record didn't make the transcription leap from Local to national registers.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks that is them in 1861 Elaine he was a Smith , thats some mistranscription ,thanks for that I was looking for a marriage abt 1863 so maybe they married before 1861 then
        Christine thanks for looking I do have him in 1851 and all other census ,but hadn't got him in 1861 looks like I have now.
        Thanks both

Comment

Nothing showing up easily between 1851 and 1861 Val.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks for trying Chrissie I'm trying to tie up loose ends but can see now why they are loose

Comment

Val, do you have Philip Stone (b1840) in the 1841 census?

I am wondering if there is a link to the surname Tucker. If you look at the 1851 census there is an elderly Tucker in the household.

In the 1851 census, Philip has an older brother William.

In the 1861 census Philip Soulsher has a William Tucker living in the same property - could this be Philip and his older brother William. Actually if you look at the image of that census, the first letter of the surname Soulscher looks very much like the T of Tucker. Maybe Philip was giving his name as Tucker and it has been mistranscribed from that, rather than Stone.

There is a birth registration for a Philip Tucker in 1841 1st qtr. in the registration district of Kingsbrige - which I think covers Chillington.

Having said all that, I can't see a marriage for Philip Tucker either ... but it's a thought!!
              Elaine

Comment

thats interesting Elaine , I did not bother to look for him in 1841 I obviously should have , off to have a nosey at that again thanks .

Comment

I think this is the marriage, Val

Marriages Mar 1861, Newton Abbot, 5b/245.
                  Tolcher Philip Henry Stone, also indexed HEAL Sophia

Comment

Possible birth

Philip Henry Tolihard Jul-Aug-Sep 1840 Kingsbridge, 9/331

Comment

Looks good Susan.
                      Elaine

Comment

FMP has a possible baptism transcribed by Devon FHS.
                        23 June 1839 in Loddiswell - as s/o Elizabeth TOLCHARD - no father.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Susan and Christine I dont care ,I'm gonna kiss you both, I gave up on these ages ago but thought I must try again with the clever people on here thanks a bunch , and you Elaine.:D

Comment

It seems Stone as a middle name was given to another Tolchard ............. maybe from the same family???????????

Marriages Mar 1841, Kingsbridge 9/405
                            TOLCHARD Ann Stone

Comment

And perhaps another family member, may be brother of Philip's mother?????????? Stokenham is less than two miles from Chillington.

Richard Stone Tolchard, son of Nicholas and Susanna, bap. 5th Nov 1813, abode: Stokenham Village

Comment

You know whats odd I hadn't found their Daughter Anns birth but just found it under Ann Stone Tolcher wonder why he used the name Stone ?
                                Thanks again Susan and thanks for the extra stuff
                                Last edited by Guest; 25-02-14, 22:48.

Comment

Hope I'm not going to complicate matters now, but, The Richard Stone Tolchard I mentioned above has a son named Philip

Last edited by Guest; 25-02-14, 22:57.

Comment

Marriages Dec 1839, Kingsbridge 9/437
                                    Richard Stone Tolehard, also indexed Marianne Tucker

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                                      And perhaps another family member, may be brother of Philip's mother?????????? Stokenham is less than two miles from Chillington.

Richard Stone Tolchard, son of Nicholas and Susanna, bap. 5th Nov 1813, abode: Stokenham Village
                                      Susanna's surname was Stone, Nicholas and Susanna married Jan 20th 1813, Stokenham

Comment

That must be him in 1841 his father was a Richard? and thanks for all the other records Susan , I'm trying to keep up with you but failing :(, so Elaine was right the Tuckers are connected.

Comment

Working...
                                        X