tracing family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing family

I have gone back to the 1796 birth/christening of my GGG,GRANDAD his father my 4Times g grandad and his wife are on the sheet from the LDS search just their names is there any way I can trace their births having just their names and nothing else to go by.

Originally posted by rayben View Post
    I have gone back to the 1796 birth/christening of my GGG,GRANDAD his father my 4Times g grandad and his wife are on the sheet from the LDS search just their names is there any way I can trace their births having just their names and nothing else to go by.
    Hello Rayben,

ideally what you need to do is to work backwards from your parents/g/parents/gg/grandparents using the uk census [presuming that your research is in the uk], you need to verify this with BMD certs/baptisms/wills etc.. the census will arm you with the occupations and also give you an insight as to possible occupations for their forebears etc...

I must add though that we do not permit names of living people to be posted onsite [though you can ask for help for lookups via or PM [private messaging] system]

try putting some names on here, please give as much info as you know, as this will help us to help you.

ideally... name/age/year of birth/place of birth [if known] any spouse or childrens names is also advantageous.

I cannot see how you can possibly hope to get back any further without this type of info being found, needle in a haystack springs to mind :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ideally you should get a copy of the christening in 1796, see if there is any info on the image, such as occupation or address. then ideally you would need to find a marriage for the parents, which may say which parishes they were living in at the time, and give wittnesses. then you could look into the parish of origin for the parents and see if there are any births for them.

and search for the burials of the parents, they may give ages, which would help with christenings for them.

Comment

If you find it on familysearch, you can request a scan of the record from which it was transcribed from familysearch, for free.

Comment

The person I am most interested at the moment is Thomas Bennett father of (Thomas jnr who was christened 26/06/1796)in ormskirk Lancashire,not much to go on the whole family going forward stayed in ormskirk until 1880's,there are also a lot of Bennetts in and around ormskirk in the 1700's that might tie in with my Bennetts if I can find Thomas senior and any brothers or sisters.

Comment

Afraid if you really want to know whether it's the right line you have to get the certificates and confirm each stage - including your own birth certificate. It's has been known for hidden family secrets to be exposed when you get the actual certificate. There's all sorts of scenario's which many of us have found in our own trees.

I'd made assumptions about my grandfather and didn't get his marriage certificate until fairly recently - I saw a census which I thought was him and his parents and followed those parents back through census, certificates and parish records. Unfortunately it was the wrong family - there were two families in the same area with similar names of children etc but his father had died quite young - which I found out when I finally followed the correct family.

We all make mistakes and just because it's in another's family tree doesn't mean it's correct.
            Last edited by JBee; 26-02-14, 15:00.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi JBee I know thomas senior and thomas junior are the right line what I wanted from the thomas senior were his parents and any siblings so that I could trace them,hoping to find some had moved to little hulton Nr bolton in lancashire,

Comment

Hi Ryben, could this be the marriage of Thomas Bennett snr.?
                Marriage: 11 Feb 1795 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                Thomas Bennett - (X), this parish
                Ann Sumner - (X), this parish
                Witness: Chas Olverson; Henry Bickerstaff
                Married by Banns by: J Darcey Curate
                Register: Marriages 1784 - 1812, Page 115, Entry 465
                Source: LDS Film 1849664

And could this be the christening of Thomas Bennett jnr.?

Baptism: 26 Jun 1796 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
                Thomas Bennet - Son of Thomas Bennet & Ann
                Abode: Orms[kirk]
                Register: Baptisms 1794 - 1812, Page 11, Entry 18
                Source: LDS Film 1849663

Vonny

Comment

Hi JBee I know thomas senior and thomas junior are the right line what I wanted from the thomas senior were his parents and any siblings so that I could trace them,hoping to find some had moved to little hulton Nr bolton in lancashire,
                  I am not trying to be flippant but how do you know that this is the right line without proof?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You will find PRs of Ormskirk available on Lancashire OPC.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thankyou for your latest replies very helpful

Comment

Working...
                      X