GRO Death Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Death Certificate

I am planning to request a death certificate from the GRO but would like to put some checks in place, which I thought you could do, but I cannot see the box that allows you to do this. Am I missing something or is this not possible anymore?

Thanks

Sadly for the last3/4 years you are now unable to put checks on any Certs from the GRO. We have all complained about this as it is a bind not to be able to do this. For them it means a wrong certificate and you have to fork out more money. Win win for them but lose lose for you!:(:(

I used to use the checking service a lot, and the only good point about the present system is that you get a certificate right or wrong, whereas previously I have often been left with the nagging feeling that maybe the one they did not send me, was in fact the correct certificate!!

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 25-02-14, 12:24.

Comment

Why not try getting it from the register office - they've been very helpful when I was trying to find the death of a William Brown and many possibilities.
      Last edited by JBee; 25-02-14, 12:40.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The GRO like any business in the UK have a duty to provide goods fit for purpose (Sale of Goods Act 1979).
        For the family historian this means they have to comply with any requirements the buyer adds to the contract.
        In practice this means writing to the GRO or registrar with specific conditions required for the production of the certificate.
        I.E. parents names, age on marriage, date of death or whatever.
        If the specific requirements are not met the GRO, etc. have two choices either supply a certificate (with the possibility it is rejected if not correct) or to refuse the order and refund the fee.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I have ordered with checks since the new form came in but I did it over the phone to the GRO. They were very helpful actually in suggesting how I might word it.
          I also agree with Janet though, as I ended up with no certificate and I am still wondering if one of the three was her!!

p.s. The local register office is always the best in this situation. That's only if it's one that supplies certificates fore family history though. I believe some London ones don't?
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-02-14, 16:10.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I ordered online off the GRO about a week ago and it gave me the checks option then.

Comment

I've had extremely helpful service from Register Offices in the counties - Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Sussex... and usually from Records Offices, too.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X