Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gertrude Broadbelt, the 11 year old Nurse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gertrude Broadbelt, the 11 year old Nurse?

I've found a 1891 Census for someone in my tree who would be 11 having been born in 1879, Great Ouseburn so can anyone explain why an 11 year old would have been put down as a Nurse please?

I know that the image of the Census says Nurse (Domestic) but it must be wrong surely?
    I only know of 2 Nurses. The medical version and the baby wet nurse version.

Please please help my baffled mind
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Probably a nursemaid, helping with the care of Walter and Minnie's little 4 year old sister Mabel.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I didn't think that an 11 year could be a Nursemaid but obviously wrong, then again they probably didn't understand the word babysitter in those days did they?

Thanks Judith.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
        I didn't think that an 11 year could be a Nursemaid but obviously wrong, then again they probably didn't understand the word babysitter in those days did they?

Thanks Judith.
        Children were put to work very young in those days so it would not be unusual to see an 11 year old doing a proper job of work such as nursemaid.

Margaret

Comment

I've not had someone that young yet, 14/15 at most but not 11, that's why I thought it was odd.

Comment

Perhaps her parents were particularly poor so had to let her work sooner than they would have liked or others in your tree have been able to do.
            Perhaps she was an orphan or one parent dead so little money to support her.
            Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 14:16.

Comment

I have a 7 yr old working in an outlying farmhouse in the 1841 census return - she's also recorded in the parental home in the village. I'm not sure how much work she would have been able to do, thinking about the size of her hands and general physique, strength.

In 1891 the leaving age for elementary school pupils was 10. It went up to 11 and then 13 after the 1893 education act.
              I too think she would have been a nursemaid - employed to assist with the children.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-02-14, 14:28.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Another point about a child working that young is that she got her board and keep and a bed, which would have been a big consideration to a very poor family.

Another possibility was that she was a workhouse child.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  I have a 7 yr old working in an outlying farmhouse in the 1841 census return - she's also recorded in the parental home in the village. I'm not sure how much work she would have been able to do, thinking about the size of her hands and general physique, strength.

In 1891 the leaving age for elementary school pupils was 10. It went up to 11 and then 13 after the 1893 education act.
                  I too think she would have been a nursemaid - employed to assist with the children.

Jay
                  Feed the chickens, collect the eggs, feed the pigs maybe. Pick fruit and veg.
                  Margaret

Comment

With parents consent the legal age for marriage was 12 yearsfor females and 14 years for males this was as recent as 1929 when the lawchanged.
                    Therefore, quitefeasible that an 11 year old female is a nurse maid.

Comment

Working...
                    X