My grandmother have no past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandmother have no past

I dont know if this will work, but here is a photo of her.

This is what I have.
    My granmothers maiden name could be Richards or Richardson.
    In her marriage license it says Richardson. But on my mothers birth certificate it says Richards.
    Born in Cardiff, Wales. Married my grandfather Thomas Dunstan Lee in 1913.
    Ap.birth 1895 +- 2 years.
    I found one family in Wales, that could be her parents under the name Richards. Abraham and Mary Elsie. There are three children, including my grandmother. Rice the oldest, Cissie or Cissi my grandmother and the youngest Lynn. Two boys and one girl.
    My grandmother and my grandfather lived in Wales until 1922. Then they left for Australia, where my grandfather is born.
    I got one address in Wales, 81 Olive Street, Grangetown. This is from the passenger list. My grandfathers occupation says Butcher and my grandmother is registered as home wife. One of my grandmothers children are born in Wales, Queenie.
    When they left for Australia the papers said she was 6 years.
    Is there anyone out here that can bring some light in the darkness?
    Best regards
    Diana

Welcome to the forum Diana.

Do you subscribe to the Ancestry website?
    There is a tree uploaded to ancestry which shows Thomas Dunstan Lee, born 1892 W.Beal Victora, died 28 Aug 1969 in Warnambool Victoria - married to Elsie Cissie Richardson.
    They are shown on the Victoria Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger List as travelling to Melbourne, arrival date 28 april 1922 on the ship Baradine.

Elaine

Comment

Right, ignore that last comment! I see you have a tree on Ancestry, at least I presume this is yours!

You seem to have quite a bit of information about Thomas and Cissie, plus their children.
      What exactly do you need help with?
      Elaine

Comment

Here's a death that looks like the brother
        Rice Richards
        Estimated birth year: abt 1894
        Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1912
        Age at Death: 18
        Registration district: Cardiff
        Inferred County: Glamorganshire
        Volume: 11a
        Page: 331

Oops! see you already have that on your tree.
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 13:37.

Comment

Here's the marriage for Abraham Richards to Marie Elsie Davies

Abraham Richards
          Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1891
          Inferred County: Glamorgan
          Volume Number: 11a
          Page Number:

You need to get this certificate to find out who her father was and his occupation so you can go back further.
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 13:47.

Comment

I cant find my grandmothers past. There is nothing. We don´t know really who her parents is, the information I got about her parents is just a wild guess. If this "family" I think might be hers both of her siblings are dead. One at the age of 17 and Lynn at the age of 22. it says reported in 1918. I know from one paper that she was a student at the age of 16. But I cant find any school ..
            There is a lot of question. Where would you register a child that was born in about 1916.
            Yes we have been looking back in history... But we are stuck with our grandmother. She died in Australia, and no one, not even the children seems to know who her parent were.
            And yes it is my tree..
            And I hit a wall..when it comes to my grandmother.
            I thought it must be something like school, maybe even a school photo from that time.
            Diana

Comment

I cannot see a birth for Cissie so it would be helpful to know who her father is and his occupation as shown on her marriage certificate. That will either confirm or not the census records you have found and whether her name is Richards or Richardson.

What was her age given as on the marriage certificate?

Margaret

Comment

Are you sure that Queenie was born in Wales?

Queenie Ethel May Lee, mmn Richardson, born Dec Q 1915, Ormskirk, Lancs. 8b 1424.

OC

Comment

I cannot see a birth for Queenie either in 1916 - she is shown as age 6 in 1922.

I also checked all births from 1916 to 1922 for surname Lee with mmn Richards in case she was registered as something else and the only one is

Horatia K Lee
                  Mother's Maiden Surname: Richardson
                  Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917
                  Inferred County: Glamorganshire
                  Volume Number: 11a
                  Page Number: 699

Which could mean that Cissie is in fact Richardson and not Richards!

Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 14:08.

Comment

Oh..thank you.no I am not sure..I just presumed that Queenie was born there. On my grandmothers marriage license it says she was 1894, and the last name on this is Richardson. But on my mums birth certificate it says Richards. And I found my grandmothers death certificate, there it says fathers name Richards.
                    Think my sister got her marriage certificate, and I know my dad and mum went to Wales to try and look her up. They did not find anything ells then the marriage licence. I will look in to this new information. Thank you so much... This made me really happy, I will try to find out more about this.
                    Diana

Comment

Will help some more when I know marriage details.
                      Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 14:24.

Comment

Just looking at your tree and wonder who the military record is for? It has Thomas Dunstan Lee enlisting in 1940 born 1900 - I can't see anyone on your tree to match that.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Fronaeus View Post
                          Oh..thank you.no I am not sure..I just presumed that Queenie was born there. On my grandmothers marriage license it says she was 1894, and the last name on this is Richardson. But on my mums birth certificate it says Richards. And I found my grandmothers death certificate, there it says fathers name Richards.
                          Think my sister got her marriage certificate, and I know my dad and mum went to Wales to try and look her up. They did not find anything ells then the marriage licence. I will look in to this new information. Thank you so much... This made me really happy, I will try to find out more about this.
                          Diana
                          A marriage certificate from the UK will show an age - not a year of birth - it will also show the name of the bride's father and his occupation so that will help us find Cissie's family.
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-14, 14:39.

Comment

Another way of approaching it - you seem to know the death date for Cissie - 6th May 1964 Queensland.
                            I believe the Queensland death certificate will show you the names of both her mother and father - so it might be worthwhile ordering a copy of that.

The price quoted for the image is 20 dollars - https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSear...me=DeathSearch
                            - although I believe on some of the BMD certificates in Australia it's possible to get a transcription.
                            Someone with more experience of Australian research should be able to help you with this!
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Another way of approaching it - you seem to know the death date for Cissie - 6th May 1964 Queensland.
                              I believe the Queensland death certificate will show you the names of both her mother and father - so it might be worthwhile ordering a copy of that.

The price quoted for the image is 20 dollars - https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSear...me=DeathSearch
                              - although I believe on some of the BMD certificates in Australia it's possible to get a transcription.
                              Someone with more experience of Australian research should be able to help you with this!
                              I think the problem is though that no-one seems to know the facts so the information given at death would not necessarily be accurate.

Comment

I think NSW is the only state where you can get a transcription instead of a certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  I think the problem is though that no-one seems to know the facts so the information given at death would not necessarily be accurate.
                                  Yes, if the mother's maiden name on a child's birth cert is Richards, chances are the child will assume that to have been the mother's maiden name, not Richardson. I wonder who registered the birth? - perhaps the father, who got in a muddle?
                                  Usually the earlier the date of a cert, the more likely it is that the information on it is correct e.g marriage cert. (However, having said that, my Granny was recorded as McDonald when she married. Her birth certificate recorded her name as McDonna, and it is my father's birth certificate (the latest of the three) that has the correct name - McDonough.)

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Oh yes that is my grandfather, Thomas Dunstan Lee Jr. His father has the same name. Sr. Well this story I do know. 1. My grandfather was an Australian volunteer in the WW1, this before Anzac went in. 2. My grandfather joined again in the WWII, but he was acutely to old...so what did he do...nice looking well fit worker, lied about his age. He had 3 children to provide for, and my grandmother left him. She had to leave the children, in those days a woman would not get a work if she had children (like today). He was wounded, in Africa, that is how they found out about it. But according to my dad, he had war wounds from the first world war. In Gallipoli and then in the front by the french german border. It is not a fairy tail..they had a very hard and ruff life.
                                    When I tried to order the marriage license, it did not work for me. They will not provide the records to Sweden, (where I am, and this explain my bad spelling). So I have to find out another way around this issue. It is nice to be a global citizen, you get new knowledge every day
                                    Diana

Comment

I am surprised you had difficulty getting a copy of the wedding certificate. The place to buy them from is the General Register Office in the UK at a cost of £9.25 which includes worldwide postage.

You will need the registration details which are:
                                      Thomas D Lee / Cissie Richardson
                                      Registration date and quarter - 1913 Oct-Nov-Dec
                                      Registration district - Cardiff
                                      Volume - 11a
                                      Page number 820

.. and don't worry, your spelling is fine!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the link Elaine!
                                        It worked now.
                                        Diana

Comment

Working...
                                        X